Members Firebirds Post pictures and information about your Third Gen Base, SE, Formula, Trans Am, and GTA Firebirds!

1982 firebird spoiler/wing and side view mirror color

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1982 Firebird Trans Am
Engine: 305
Transmission: automatic
1982 firebird spoiler/wing and side view mirror color

I am trying to restore the spoiler and side view mirror to the original out of the factory black color for my 1982 firebird trans am.

My goal is to have the paint come out the same black as it did from the factory in 1982.

To me it appears that the side view mirrors and spoiler are matte black, but Im not sure.
I want to get those parts painted as ORIGINAL. But I wanted to ask what I am supposed to say to the paint shop/body shop (either Dupont or PPG) about how to paint those specific parts as original to look like it came out of factory?

Is there a specific code I need to give or something for the paint guys to know?

I would say to match mine, but unfortunately those parts have faded over the years and it wont be accurate .
Old 03-31-2017, 08:11 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: 1982 firebird spoiler/wing and side view mirror color

Ask for Iroc headlight bucket black, that should work. Sorry, that's a bit of an inside joke, because "what shade are Iroc headlight buckets" have turned into multi-page debates.

I would imagine a person could search a LONG time and never find a color code in any documentation from GM. But from what I've seen, GM didn't use a truly flat or matte black, but something in the middle, between a semi-gloss and matte.

I would probably try to see paint chips or samples and pick the one you feel matches best. Because ultimately you have to be happy with how it looks.