Memorial Board Memorials honoring ThirdGen members and staff that we've lost over the years.

Grumpy has passed on

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Grumpy has passed on

I usually only lurk around here. He will be truely missed, I owe a lot thanks to him for getting me start out in the PROM tuning fronm searching and reading his post.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:09 AM
Supreme Member

Car: Bee-Bowdy
Engine: blowd tree-fity
Transmission: sebin hunnerd
Axle/Gears: fo-tins

Fairwell sir...
Old 05-08-2007, 08:44 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 84 SVO
Engine: Volvo headed 2.3T
Transmission: WCT5
Axle/Gears: 8.8" 3.73

From what I know, we, the DIY EFI community were his family. He didn't have any children he ever told me about, or much about his wife (divorced long ago).

I "believe at this time" that Bruce will be buried with a military honors (He served two tours in Nam, para/artillary) at the Dayton Ohio VA. I don't know anymore until his affairs are sorted out.

Bruce... Thanks much for the road trips to Dave's and Sean's, the POWWOW's, and the help with learning EFI. I think he taught me more about the human spirit than anything..

Bob
Old 05-08-2007, 12:31 PM

I too feel the loss of Bruce on this board, and on the others that he posted on and I sometimes looked in to see what he had to say.

I only spoke with Bruce twice, and we corresponded infrequently, but I can assuredly state that we are all diminished by his passing.

He was a unique indivudual, and his tenacious ability to analyze code as well as his out-of-the box thinking on how to accomplish stuff will inspire all of us for a long time to come.....

Bruce, I know you are now at peace, and hopefully you now have the answers to all those questions you posed to me that I could not give you a coherent response to......
You were truly one of a kind!
Old 05-08-2007, 04:19 PM

Truely sad to hear of losing Bruce. The EFI community has lost one of the greats.

I will always remember talking code-hacks and eating DeArmond's BBQ at Bruce's, as well as high-speed passes in the 'black car' through the Ohio Corn.
And conversations you would have no where else.

So long friend, you will be greatly missed.

Dig
code59.org
Old 05-08-2007, 04:55 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.

Originally Posted by DENN_SHAH
Mods, i would like to see this made a sticky please....
Yes, that will happen in due time, probably in a couple of weeks. But, for some reason, posts seem to be more readily noticed in the "regular" section than in the "sticky" section...so I am leaving it here for now.

But once the replies have slowed down, then this post will be moved to the "sticky" section and remain there as a tribute to all of Bruce Plecan's work on DIY Prom.

As stated above, WE (DIY Prom) were his family; and DIY Prom will always remember Bruce Plecan.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:25 PM

Bruce was an interesting guy. I met him before his lung transplant when he was about 98 lbs including his wheelchair. We talked as much as he could, had dinner, and that was about it for the night. He didn't have much life in him at the time. Certainly he wasn't working on cars. But he was learning EFI which I thought was cool.

In the early days of DIY EFI and GMECM the list was really dominated by engineers, code writers, electronics techs and those in related fields. There were a few of us from the lowly automotive world working to follow along. Bruce wanted to learn and if he spotted a potential teacher he'd ask 'em plenty of questions. If he didn't understand the answers he wasn't afraid to drag one of those tech guys down to his level so he could "get it." This is partly because Bruce's english didn't always sound the same as everyone else's, especially with the technical stuff. It was sometimes funny how people would get lost in the translation. Usually it'd **** 'em off. Often though, Doc Pelican had the right idea if you could figure out what he was saying.

One of the biggest problems for Bruce was his saying what he was thinking exactly as he was thinking it. I heard someone ask him how he remembered to take all the medications he required after the lung transplant. There was a pharmacy's worth on his table at the time. Typical Bruce answer: "It's easy. If I don't, I'll die." He'd tell someone to remove their head from their **** in the same blunt fashion. I think his biggest gripe with the internet was how easily people's feelings got hurt.

I'm not a conventional thinker and I can do a good job of finding creative solutions, but Bruce amazed me early on with a simple trick. We were talking about crossfire injection and large cams and he told me that he'd been machining his own IAC pintles on a lathe to adjust the airflow changes as the IAC moved. He'd tried several different designs until he found one which gave the performance he liked. This was before we had much access to code information, and it seemed like such an elegant solution that I couldn't help but respect him for it. Over the next 10 years I'd see many more of these simple and effective solutions. I still sometimes ask myself "What would Bruce do now?" when facing a tough problem. I usually have no idea, but at least it generates some interesting possibilities.

I've heard plenty of bitching in my life, but I rarely heard Bruce wasting time complaining about his situation. Kind of amazing considering he had to do a helluva lot more than most of us just to stay alive. I think he made some medical journals by living as long as he did. I know he made some articles just by surviving the transplant surgery. Yet he never asked for sympathy or wanted to be a "special case" because of his health. I've found over the years that it's much easier for me to have a good day if I occasionally stop and remind myself there's people like Bruce who have to go through a lot more to do a lot less. Bruce is one of the ones who managed to do more despite the hand life gave him.

Bruce also continued to give to the DIY world even when others might not. Several issues occurred over the last 8 or 9 years which caused him to feel he'd inadvertently given someone else a very profitable free ride with work he'd been a part of. The results showed up often in his public life. He'd call a person a leech or complain about someone claiming work which wasn't theirs sometimes without investigating the situation. Sometimes it was a bit off the deep end, but I think it came from going through so much, working so hard for what many take for granted, and never asking for so much as an "atta boy." Maybe it's like waiting in a long, long line then seeing more and more people cut to the front while you're stuck waiting. Consider what you would do in that situation. Bruce still managed to help and give out information to those who were willing to prove they weren't looking for a handout. And really, once you proved you weren't looking you were likely to get a handout anyway. I know I saw him do that several times. If you were lucky to enough to get to a powwow it would have been tough not to walk away with a head stuffed full of ideas and information, the likes of which would be hard to duplicate elsewhere.

Anyway, Grumpy, it was a damn good ride. May you continue to find challenges which stump you to no end and solutions which unlock new doors to the universe. I for one am going to miss ya.
Shannen
Old 05-08-2007, 11:16 PM

Bruce will go down as the one of the most interesting people I've ever met. While I've been chatting with him via email since the late 90's, we first met in person at Pow-Wow I. Seeing Bruce at all but one Pow-Wow (that my car attended without me), and numerous road trips together I got to know Bruce very well.

On one occasion, he mentioned that a Neon John steak sounded good. Not having anything pressing to do for the next few days, I drove from Iowa to Arcanum, picked up Bruce and off we were to Cleveland, TN. Only problem, we didn't call ahead to make sure Neon was there. The restaurant was closed and no sign of him. Figuring he'd be back, we went to an auto museum in northern TN, then back to Neon's. Still not there, we returned to Ohio. From memory, we covered about 2500 miles, stopped at Waffle House at least 6 times all in less than 3 days.

Another was a gathering we attended at Fred Breitweiser's in NJ. It seemed every time Bruce took the wheel, he found someone to play with. On that trip, he recorded the Trofeo's worst fuel mileage ever. After stomping a Mustang in the mountains, Bruce just smiled and commented how you shouldn't play at altitude unless you bring your own atmosphere. He always preferred intakes to be pressurized.

Many times he'd get finished with a Madison checkup and stop by 'on the way home' for a few days. Now and then he'd want to do something to the Black Car, so would tow it out and crash on my couch for a week or so. We would always start the morning out with a fresh pot of coffee and rolls By 8am we'd have most of the worlds problems figured out. Rarely did a day with Bruce go by without a visit from "Capt. Obvious".

While Bruce no longer had any close family that he was in contact with since his mother passed away a couple years ago. The EFI community was his family. I always tried to call him on the traditional 'family' holidays. You could hear the appreciation in his voice. I'd usually get a list of the people he'd talked to that day, of course most all were names I was quite familiar with from online or in person at the Pow-Wows.

When I talked to him in Madison a few weeks ago, he did say that things weren't going too good, but he wanted to finish the Mustang, enjoy the summer and have one more Pow-Wow. Even as late as Wednesday, which was the last time I spoke to him, most of the conversation was about the Mustang and what was left to do. It's a shame that he was not able to fulfill this last wish.

To a dear friend, an honorable veteran and the most dedicated car guy I've ever met, I hope your last ride has at least 25 psi.

Scott Pearson
mrcad472@iowatelecom.net
Old 05-09-2007, 09:26 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, 355" LT1, LT1
Transmission: T5, Zf6, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, Dana44 3.45, 3.23

Originally Posted by SATURN5
I "believe at this time" that Bruce will be buried with a military honors (He served two tours in Nam, para/artillary) at the Dayton Ohio VA. I don't know anymore until his affairs are sorted out.
And don't forget he was a special sheriff's deputy at one point, too.

-- Joe
Old 05-09-2007, 09:53 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good bye Bruce! Your posts has greatly helped me in my tuning efforts. I would like to point out to some of the newer members to just perform a search on Bruce Plecan on the internet, and see what comes up. He WAS a pioneer in DIY tuning, and will be missed!!!!
Old 05-09-2007, 11:01 AM
Supreme Member

A little bit of memory lane..

http://www.pbase.com/fangler
Old 05-09-2007, 11:16 AM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 92 ZR-1
Engine: LT-5
Transmission: ZF-6
Axle/Gears: SuperDana 44 4.10

Saturn,

That brought back a few memories of the 2002 Pow Wow. That was the first one I attended. Honored that Bruce had included me in it. There's that one pic where he's looking in my Vette ( he was the inspiration for what I did on the Xfire), and he saw I was using a Turbo City ECM. You know that look of disgust Bruce would get when he didn't approve, and he didn't like Turbo City.
So he gave me another 7747 so he wouldn't have to look at the TC sticker.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:43 AM
Supreme Member

I was there too... Didn't make the pic tho.

However I was caught on film at the Korb 2003 LFB. I'm wearing the plaid flannel shirt in front of the tree..

Good times.. Great Neon steaks and flaming vacuum cleaners.. :rofl: Bob
Old 05-09-2007, 12:12 PM

Car: 1987 Corvette
Engine: 383 ci
Transmission: ZF 6 Speed
Axle/Gears: 4.10 Dana 44

RIP Grumpy. Condolences to his family.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:05 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.

Great eulogy Shannen. I am glad you finally made it to DIY Prom, though under the wrong circumstances.

Can you please forward this post to the "others" who knew Bruce but don't frequent DIY Prom?

Glenn
Old 05-09-2007, 02:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 193 Likes on 167 Posts

It's amazing how much is going on behind the scenes in people's lives when you only know them by a screen name and some internet postings.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

I just found out tonight racing over at Englishtown. Went there with Dave, and noticed that a few guys that knew Grumpy, Paul and Sean (GN guys) weren't there, and I immediately thought that that was odd. I then mentioned to Dave in passing that maybe Bruce (Grumpy) might come down this season for a little test and tune, and that's when Dave told me.

I can't believe it. It's like a very bad dream. I am so very sorry to hear that this has happened, and am even more sorry for his family. Was so looking forward to meeting him face to face, as he has taught everyone on every board that he frequented so very much....

I'm a big believer in the afterlife, and I know that the Grumpster is up there, causing a commotion, telling everyone what goes where, and why. I still can't believe I'm writing this. It feels like a damn dream! G-d Bless you and your family Bruce, rest in peace....

-Robert
Old 05-09-2007, 10:37 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS - not real slow anymore...
Engine: SPDC 360 MAF EFI /w a Holley Stealth Ram
Transmission: T5 untill it blows up from to much torque
Axle/Gears: Ford 9" /w auburn pro & 3.89's

Oh my God..
Rest in Peace Bruce. You've inspired many.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
Saturn,

You know that look of disgust Bruce would get when he didn't approve, and he didn't like Turbo City.
So he gave me another 7747 so he wouldn't have to look at the TC sticker.
That is soooo Bruce! Usually followed by "ARRR ARRR ARRR!"

Every time I see a 148, I will always think of it as an "E Ticket" for a ride in the GN. Even after numerous rides in the GN, always had to make sure to bring an "E Ticket" when going to Bruce's.

Just leaves one to wonder if Doc is keeping the others in line or if Bruce's 747's have taken flight...

Scott Pearson
mrcad472@iowatelecom.net
Old 05-10-2007, 12:30 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 71 Nova
Engine: Superramed 383, Topline heads
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 8.2 posi 3.08

Man that sucks. He has some of the most informitive posts and always helped everyone with his no BS attitude. I only knew him from all his valuable info. He will be greatly missed.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:37 AM

I am so gonna miss his straight up duh grumpy self; he helped me understand alot of different areas which affected the baseline. He was fun to bounce thought off of because he was a grumpy SOB info sponge that knew how to go like STINK/ F A S T!!!! gone LIKE THE WIND! well life is so grand I will miss him. Bruce was a hands on DIY guy he should remain THE FINAL ANSWER in hands on tech.
SUCKS ***!
I WONDER IF HE HAD KIDS? DAMN TALK ABOUT PERSONAL PRIDE. THAT GN WILL REMAIN BLESSED BY HIS UPTIGHT ON-POINT GGGRRRRr1! i ' LL HELP EVEN IF i MIGHT BE STUBBORN HEHEHE!
HE ALWAYS PUT UP HIS KNOWLEDGE B/F piping down.... SKIDAWN IT MADE HIT HOTT HHHHOOOOOOTTTTT! damn glad to have been graced with his experiences and willingness to share most secrets-answers to his own iquisitions.

I was wet behind the ears when he corrected my post but damn BRUCE always was there; reading; learning; testing; I feel for his family they understood his passion towards going fast in late model OEM EFI.
Ed
----------
GOD BLESS HIM AND HIS FAMILY!!!! HIS LEGEND IS IMMORTAL among those who had the fortune to be scorn on!
ED
Old 05-10-2007, 01:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 GTA, 91 Formula, 89 TTA
Engine: all 225+ RWHP
Transmission: all OD
Axle/Gears: Always the good ones

lol

I know there are at least a dozen of us who knew Bruce personaly just on this board alone.

The comments make me laugh in a very good way. For the people that have met him, you will sure as hell never forget him.

And Scott the " Arrr Arr arrrrr" made me bust out laughing.

I have just one other question.

Did he try and scare the shiznit out of everyone he took for an "E ticket" ride in the GN? lol

Jeremy
Old 05-10-2007, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by SATURN5
A little bit of memory lane..

http://www.pbase.com/fangler
Great stuff... I got caught on film in the 2001 pic.

Loved the pic of the vette with the DIY-WB cable running across the back.
There always seemed to be *something* at Bruce's with a cable running out the window to the tailpipe.

Will really miss the leader of CSH, HQ.

Dig
Old 05-10-2007, 09:42 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Bruce had some friends in the seven dwarf's, and they really caused a ruckus around HQs. Doc's latest laptop resembled an etch-a-sketch, but don't try and tell him that. The episode with the boat trailer went on for quite a while. Then the little guys kept thinking that a '747 was some kind of airplane, what did we know.

Halloween always seemed to bring out the best in Doc. Could he ever get the others going.

Subject:
Re: Halloween HEX Patches
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 18:15:40 -0500

You wouldn't believe how well Doc did dressed in AL foil and cruising the
neighbor hood as a 747, lets just say all the lil guys are taking
turns as 707s/727s, and trying to use the multiple personality approach for
hittin the good houses several times.
Bruce

Then of course what Bruce would do to keep them out of trouble.

It's my fault.
When things are slow here, I have the all the emails on the Internet
funneled thru CSH, HQ, and the lil guys manually rewrite and delete
originals of all emails. Yes, it is busy work, but I just have to keep them
busy. Keeps em out of trouble. I'll try cutting back on break periods and
see if that helps.
Sorry for any inconvience
Bruce
More EFI news, pending, if it just warms up a little, to work in the garage....

Yes, even knowing that it was only a matter of time, it's still tough.

RBob.

edit: mixed in with Bruce's insight were safety tips. This one goes with the picture of Bruce checking out a SBC with a crossfire manifold, a custom lid and 2bbl TBI unit.

Which brings up an interesting point, when improving
ignition systems, sometimes you wind up running less
timing. Which means there is a better flame/reaction
or it's burning faster initially?. But, would that be a
indication of a better VE?. According to some the ideal
plug gap would be .1", which would min the delay of the
flame getting to be a large enough kernel to burn quickly
though out the combustion chamber.
Bruce Safety alert: don't try and dry your foil lined
Cone Shaped Hats in a microwave. (specially
if there are traces of gasoline on it).
Attached Thumbnails Grumpy has passed on-foilcap.jpg  
Old 05-10-2007, 08:55 PM

Oh yeah his CSH ...
Old 05-11-2007, 01:56 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 RS(sold) 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: ones that turn

man I wondered what happened to him may he rest in piece
Old 05-12-2007, 02:22 AM

Engine: X
Transmission: MT1

I've spent the past week going over all the things related to Bruce & the little guys that transpired over the last 10 years or so. Starting out with a typical Bruce "read the archives!" comment to a (dumb) question about grafting port EFI onto a 403 Olds for which I almost was going to flame him, to several EFI pow-wow events, to having a box here with his name on it that was going to ship last monday until I got the news. The in-betweens could fill a book.

As long as you were willing to learn, Bruce would talk and share his wealth of info. I still have 90% of the emails between us, search them sometimes for a technical tidbit I've forgotten. Be it a high-tech code hack or a low-tech patch, what worked, worked.

I first met Bruce in person at the first "pow wow" (aka leave black strips all over Arcanum's corn fields). I'd left NYC the night before in a '71 Cutlass with '730 controlling a mismatch of GM EFI parts on a 403 Olds with silicone on the intake that was barely dry and barely enough knowledge to tune a spark table. And somehow made it. 2 days later, left with a headache from the knowledge gained and a boost addiction. Those events were amazing, the knowledge that could be shared so freely. Seemed like it wasn't just the thrill of going fast, but obtaining the knowledge to figure out how that was a driving force with Bruce. And of course, doing it in his own way - a firewall full of GM TBI coils for an improved CNP/CPP setup? Why not!

He'd recently moved and was _so_ looking forward to a pow-wow this summer at his new place. Every time we'd talked the last few months there was always a mention how there's more room for toys,a backyard for grilling up steaks, and how the GN-ified Mustang was almost ready to mark it's terratory.

Still laugh every time I think of seeing the GN pull up into a handicapped spot, then leave with a little whistle from underhood. Never thought of Bruce as "handicapped", he made his problems seem more like inconvieniences.

Have a stash of '148 ECM's here I was keeping for a "e-ticket" GN ride in Arcanum this summer. Gonna tell them to bury me with one, just in case I meet him in the next world.

Bob Valentine
Old 05-12-2007, 07:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 2005 Subaru STI
Engine: 153ci of Turbo Power!
Transmission: 6-Speed

One day I hope to be arguing with Bruce in the afterlife.

I had many heated discussions with Bruce. Nevertheless, I very much respected him - his work - his contributions - and his love of this hobby. I'm definitely sad to see him go. Farewell Bruce! I'll meet you in the big field. We can play some checkers and discuss cam overlap, EGR, reversion, and structuring a tune around it all.

Tim
Old 05-12-2007, 08:49 PM

My condolences to the friends who knew him and the family who loved him. Unfortunately I haven't been in the tuning scene long enough to have had any heated discussions with him, but I have read a lot and I can appreciate all the effort he put into his work and the people he helped.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:20 PM
TGO Supporter

Very, very sad to hear that...
Grumpy was a very informative guy with extreme knowledge of tuning
and ecms in general - a great guy to have on your side with a certain
wit about him that made him very unique..
He and his knowledge will be missed..
Old 05-12-2007, 09:54 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, 355" LT1, LT1
Transmission: T5, Zf6, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, Dana44 3.45, 3.23

Does anyone have a link or anything to an obituary?
Old 05-12-2007, 10:09 PM

I feel as though I need to pay my respects as well. Being a newbie here I didn't have contact with him, but am now reading his many posts and can appreciate what he did and how he contributed to the sight and hobby.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:50 PM

Car: 89 20th Ann. TA
Engine: Turbo 3.8 V6
Transmission: 200 4R
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Didn't really know Bruce from over here as much as over at turbobuick.com. He was definitely an innovator when it came to stuff. Very informative and was a pretty cool guy chatting in PM's.

Very sad news. May he rest in peace.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:59 PM

Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 350 TBI/LT4 cam
Transmission: 700R

RIP Bruce! You've effected everyone's life for the better. Your wings are ready.

scott92rs
Old 05-13-2007, 08:34 PM

Car: 1984 Trans Am WS6
Engine: Minirammed 385, 396 RWHP
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Moser 12-bolt

I followed Bruce's writings, starting sometime in early 1994. Then in '97 I published a series of pages on ALDL communications that I had found in an internally published (but unclassified) GM document. I got several angry emails from a couple OTHER people from the DIY_EFI list that were making stuff commercially (one from Florida and the other from Australia), but I remember Bruce sending me an "Atta-boy" for making the information public.

His mission was always out to keep the DIY_EFI community open, free, and not-for-profit. I hope it stays that way.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:26 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1986 pontiac TA
Engine: 360 HSR
Transmission: 700r4 3300 yank converter
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 bolt

my condolences
Old 05-15-2007, 09:02 PM

Car: 1989 IROC
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Auburn

Yea that sucks. Condolences to the family.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:10 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 84 Z28
Engine: 355 (fastburn heads, LT4 HOT cam)
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt, 3.27

Oh wow! I have been away from this board for a while, since I haven't been able to do anything to my car other than tear it up. I was on here looking for some info (as I find myself doing from time to time, even if it's not thirdgen related) and noticed this post as I dropped in to see what was being discussed about the DIY PROM stuff.

Like many, I wish I had gotten the chance to meet Bruce. I had a couple email exchanges with him, but most of my conversing with him was here. I really appreciate the way he would usually not just give you the answer, but ask the right question to get you to think of the answer. I had seen that from him many times. Most people I treat to this method of learning don't appreciate it, but it really helped me learn the little bit I know about this stuff.

You will be missed Bruce.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:56 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Z28

WOW! I have not been in this forum for a while and was shocked reading this. Grumpy was a huge asset and a wealth of knowledge. He has helped me out many times. Thanks for everything Grumpy...RIP.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:42 PM

Car: 1992 Black Z28 Hardtop
Axle/Gears: 2002 10 bolt w/3:23

OH man I haven't been on in so long I missed Grumpy's passing on. I am so very sorry. He was such an influence to me, just reading his posts. I can't believe how much I learned from him. I/we will miss you Grumpy, your wit your wisdom. I'm sorry I never met you face to face. My condolences to his family.

Michael Anderson
92BLKL98
Powder Springs, GA
Old 05-19-2007, 09:07 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 75 Beast
Engine: 383 +EBL Flash
Axle/Gears: 4.11 with 33"

I have not met Grumpy, but I have seen and read many of his articles in DIY-EFI. From his in depth articles, white papers I got the motivation to perform EFI swap on my ‘Beast’. From his writings a lot can be said about the man behind the screen name ‘Grumpy’. In a way he was a rare breed – truly generous and giving. Such people are hard to find now days – for the most part most of are too self-centered to extend a helping hand. He extended his hands, his hard learned knowledge of EFI to anyone who cared to ask. But what is more important he cared. A true quality that defines a man for all ages.

Be as it may well, in your passing shall not be forgotten, for we as all shall remember thee.

RFmaster
Old 05-24-2007, 06:57 AM

Car: Cobra Kit Car
Engine: 350 HSR
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: 3.31

My first though goes to Bruce family. I wan to express my condolences to the family.

What a shock! I just come back to the forum and found this tragedy.
Grumpy did made friends all over the world. Me included, although I didn't know personally, it was for me a mentor-friend.

I think that lots of us did learn something from him.

One of the most important thing that I did learn was his comment "Write down your changes" "Comment as much as you can"

But his greatest attitude for me, was that he accepted my ignorance and did help us the dummies.
He inspired me too and I will never forget his collaboration by the thread "Source Code for Dummies"

What a great man!. THANKS

Regards,
Carlos (Cobra289)
The Netherlands
Old 05-29-2007, 04:31 PM

Car: 89 S10 Blazer
Engine: Built 4.3L V6 TBI
Transmission: Built 700R4
Axle/Gears: 7.65/Zexel/3.73

Wow... I don't even know what to say. I had no idea about the lung transplant or any other possible hardship he might have had. I don't swing through this forum very often. Mostly to search the archives and double check things when I'm not sure, but Grumpy was always the first with top-notch advice. He depth of understanding in tuning was unmatched in all of my researching. I had nothing but the utmost respect for him, and deeply saddened to hear of his passing.

The DIY tuning world has definately lost a pioneer and a friend. I'll very likely be reminded of him every time I see a GN now. RIP Bruce.

Teeleton
Old 05-29-2007, 05:55 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 IROC-Z
Engine: 406
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9" 411

Rest in peace Bruce
Old 05-30-2007, 03:49 AM

Car: 91 camaro RS
Engine: Lo3
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73s I think

Well they say servicemen dont die they go to hell and regroup and that mechanics dont die they just stop and recharge their batteries. Either way I have been heavily thinking about tuning myslef and good ol' grumps posts are some of the best reading I have had in awhile, I have an iq of 140 and dont see many challenges but autos and efi tuning are my fav. Thanks to this fella here I am going to be enjoying my ride in more new ways. I hope everything works out and his family is ok. I never knew him personnally but he sounds like one of those people who come up to the gates sliding sideways hop out and say damn what a ride! I guess I am trying to to say, he will be missed and I feel like I missed out on some really good oppertunities to learn. regards!
Old 06-06-2007, 12:52 AM

Car: Pro Stadium Tough Truck
Engine: Buick V6 272 cu in
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: Broken most of the time

I've been away for a while... This is going to take some time to sink in. Grumpy helped me out several times. I would, quite leterally, break out laughing while reading his posts. It was his "matter of fact" way of saying things.

We love ya, man. RIP
Old 06-06-2007, 05:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 92 GTA/ 00 TA
Engine: 383/350
Transmission: 700R4/T-56

Wow! What a kick in the head. Been spending most of my time under the hood instead of under the dash so I just now saw this.
My condolences to your family.
RIP Grumpy

Say hey to GTAPALADIN while you're up there.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:26 AM

Car: superrammed V
Engine: 396 SBC Speed Density
Axle/Gears: Dana44 3.45

have not been in the TgO forum for long time...
Only now I'm reading this sad event...
I'm here back now with a problem with my vette, PROBABLY EXPECTING a Bruce advice.....
I'm shocked reading this.
-Beppe-
Old 06-11-2007, 09:53 PM

Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4 w/TransGo
Axle/Gears: BW 9-bolt w/3.73s

Yea wow, this is a shocker. I been away from the boards as well, while my tranny was getting fixed. I never met or spoke with him either, but since I been on/off the boards for long a time, I always would find him on here, answering posts for anyone and everyone. He helped me out many times, and always provoked ideas and incentives on DIY. He will be greatly missed.
Rest in Peace,
Mike
Old 06-12-2007, 11:05 PM

Car: 82 Corvette
Engine: 350 CrossFire

I can't believe I'm just now finding out about this. I had to hear it from someone on my CrossFire forum this evening, and I'm still in shock. I've read through all the posts and it's just now sinking in. I've mulled over the photos I have from when Bill and I went up there to see him, and from when I went there in 2002 as well.

The CrossFire community has lost a great icon as well. We will miss you Bruce, but your legacy will live on. Rest in peace my friend.

Quick Reply: Grumpy has passed on