Mid-Atlantic Region Regional board for all of the Mid-Atlantic states. Discuss gatherings and get togethers.

crazy day

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85 ta ws6 KITT
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: th350
crazy day

Commuting to Tysons Corner everyday from Caroline sucks. It seems that everyday there's an accident, which slows down traffic, no matter if it's northbound or southbound(rubberneckers). Today seemed to be the day of flipped/overturned vehicles. While cruising up HOV northbound, a Semi with a trailer full of garbage rolled over. Probably going too fast on the off ramp. The one-ramp to 495 was backed up too, another car accident. I crept along. Suddenly, all the traffic seemed to disappear and we started back at normal speed. Weird how that happens....
I was in the left land going about 70mph or so when a new GMC Denali a few cars up and over in the right lane, started swerving. I guess they tried to merge into the middle lane, then had to swerve back right. The Denali flipped over and rolled from the middle lane to the right median. A black Mercedes that was behind the Denali tried to swerve onto the right median and go past the SUV as it was swerving, but as the SUV flipped in front of the Mercedes, the Mercedes ended up taking out the rear of the Denali. (What the heck right? This thing was going to be totaled anyways.) As soon as I saw the Denali start swerving, I knew it was going over. I hit my brakes, and pulled to the left median. As soon as it stopped sliding, I ran across 495, dodging oogling vehicles. I'm amazed I didn't get hit. By the time I got there, a few other people had pulled over, and were just standing there. WTF right? The Denali was upside down, and the pass. side front window was shattered, so I dove right in, put it in park, and turned it off since it was still running with the tires spinning. The driver was the only person in the car, and she was wearing her seatbelt. The airbag did not deploy. She was hanging by her seatbelt, with her head at a near 90* angle, cheek stuck to the roof. I heard another guy on the phone with 911, so I started assessing the lady. Got her name&age, asked if she was on any medications or allergic to any. Eyes looked good and she was responsive and talking fine, no blood coming from eyes/ears/mouth. Only visible injury she had was a nasty gash on her right hand. I found a box of tissues and used a wad of them to compress against the gash to stop bleeding. Found her cell phone and called her husband to let him know his wife was in an accident but was ok. The driver side door was smashed in all the way to her seat. EMT's has to cut her out. I was laying in the car with her for about 30mins until EMT's made their way through traffic, and stayed even longer until they had enough people there so that I could get out and someone else take over. I was able to relay them all her info. Afterwards, the state police had me give a statement and fill out a good Samaritan form. Firemen gave me a few packets of this cleansing foam to help get rid of the blood on my hands. Took awhile to clean out my finger nails.

I hope my drive home is the normal boring and uneventfull hour i'm used to.

-technical content-
how hard is it to flip a 3rd gen at normal highway speeds? has anyone done it and lived to tell?
Old 03-24-2004, 06:43 PM

Car: 91z28
Engine: 5.7 l98
Transmission: AT :(
that is some crazy ish man. Its good to know that people are there to help . I was in a dirtbike accident and saw 20 cars pass before some one came to help. Good Job.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 2005 Subaru STI
Engine: 153ci of Turbo Power!
Transmission: 6-Speed
Great Job man. Great Job.

Tim
Old 03-25-2004, 09:28 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wow, i dont know if i could help a person like that since i wouldnt know what to do.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:21 PM

Car: 85 ta ws6 KITT
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: th350
Originally posted by MdFormula350
wow, i dont know if i could help a person like that since i wouldnt know what to do.
$65 and a full day of class isn't much compared to a human life.
Even when i stopped and was getting ready to get out of the car i was thinking to myself 'man...wtf am i doing?' then i realized that i could do it, and didn't think about it.
i'm just glad no one stole my car, and i didn't get a ticket for an expired state inspection.