Mid-West Region Regional message board for WI, IL, IA, MI, MO, and MN to organize gatherings, meetings, and to help each other out.

Rear Hatch Motor Problem

Old 02-07-2016, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird Base
Engine: 2.8L V-6
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Rear Hatch Motor Problem

I put this thread in the main section, under "electronics", and have over 30 views, but no replies yet. I was hoping that maybe someone on this more local group might have some answers.

Here's the thread:

I just recently purchased this '86 Firebird, and the hatch struts were bad, and also the hatch motor wasn't working. Well, I replaced the struts, so I could take off the plastic piece that everything is under (by the latch). After I replaced the struts, the hatch seemed to clolse good, and there wasn't any gaps in the body lines, which I thought was weird, since I couldn't hear the motor.

Anyway, once I got the plastic trim piece off by the latch, I noticed that there was a white connector, with a blue wire coming from the motor, and a red wire coming from the harness, that wasn't connected. There is also a white wire, on the same loom as the blue wire, that has a weird looking black connector on it, that also isn't connected to anything, and I can't find the mate to it. So, I decided to hook up the two ends of the white connector, and the motor started working! So, I put everything back together, and shut the hatch, expecting it to suck it down, when it closed. But, nothing happened! And, now there's a big gap, where the hatch is like at least an inch higher than the rear quarters! So, I'm assuming that the connector was unplugged for a very good reason!

Now, I even bought a new motor, and was going to replace it, but I wanted to come on here first, and ask what the problem might be? I don't understand why it isn't working, when I shut the hatch? I put everything together, before I attempted shutting it. could the black switch, that is located on the hatch be bad? Could that be the reason why the one connector was unplugged, and it was obviously unplugged in the closed position, as like I said, when I first replaced the struts, the hatch seemed to close nice a tight.

I have read the other thread on here, on the hatch problem, and saw the wiring diagram, and such, but this is a strange situation. Could it be that the previous owner just didn't know what was bad, and somehow was able to reverse the motor, so the hatch would close somewhat tight? If that piece that is located on the hatch is bad, what is the name of it? I'm talking about the black piece, with the two prongs on it, that make the connection with the piece on the trunk. I'm not very good about reading schematics, so you might have to hold my hand on this one, and explain it to me.

P.S. There was a piece of wood, on top of the hatch motor, that said "Do not remove" in red letters on it. Was that something from the factory?

Thanks,
John
Old 02-09-2016, 04:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: '88 Firebird Formula 350
Engine: L98 TPI 350
Transmission: 700R-4
Re: Rear Hatch Motor Problem

maybe your previous owner shimmed it because they were having trouble with it. I know that sometimes mine will get stuck near the up position and there is a black switch in the middle that is supposed to signal the motor to pull down. If you touch it to activate the motor and release it then the motor should reverse and go all the way up. I've done that a few times and it seems to help those times that it doesn't catch when I close the hatch.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: 3.45 (G92 package)

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/82-92-f-body/camaro/interior/hatch-motor-components/

I think what you need is the hatch pull down unit. That's what mine needed. Motor worked but wouldn't pull down the hatch.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: LT1 w/ 70mm Turbo
Transmission: Stage 3 TR6060
Axle/Gears: 4:10

Originally Posted by crazymex83
maybe your previous owner shimmed it because they were having trouble with it. I know that sometimes mine will get stuck near the up position and there is a black switch in the middle that is supposed to signal the motor to pull down. If you touch it to activate the motor and release it then the motor should reverse and go all the way up. I've done that a few times and it seems to help those times that it doesn't catch when I close the hatch.
Thank you!!!! I have been trying to figure out why it went down and didn't come back up. I hit the black switch and it came up and works fine! Thank you for saving me any more headaches.