North East Region Regional Board for the North East. Topics like local car shows, cruise nights, good mechanics, machine shops, and so on.

New to board!questions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to board!questions?

Hey everyone, whats up?
My names Bret and i am from Quincy,Ma.I am 16 and recently purchased a 1987 iroc-z with a 350 tpi with 6 thousand miles on it, recaros,headers and some 17 inch boyds rims.its midnight blue and in mint condition.(the previous owner babied it).Only one problem!I still only have my permit...but july 2nd i will be old enough to get my real license and learn how to drag at new hampshire international dragway.
I was just wandering if anyone can give me some general info about NHID,nothing special just some general info about how things are there and any info about the atmosphere there would be cool too.
thanks
Bret
Old 02-23-2003, 11:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Check The Sig
Hey man.. how far is that from Springfield? i dont know much about Mass. cause im only up here for college... Plus im not a big fan of the whole New England area... but thats cause its just not jersey... but anyway... Welcome to the Site! Sounds like you got an awesome car to work with... are you talking about NED? i dont know much about that place, but i have heard its a nice track... im gunna be going up there durring the summer. alright man... have fun with your car and take care of it man
Old 02-25-2003, 05:10 PM

Location: Ocean State, lil Rhody, the biggest littlest state in the union, Rhode Island
Car: 1988 GTA Black/Gray
Engine: Blown 355
Transmission: 700R4
Re: New to board!questions?

Originally posted by bretsv650
Hey everyone, whats up?
My names Bret and i am from Quincy,Ma.I am 16 and recently purchased a 1987 iroc-z with a 350 tpi with 6 thousand miles on it, recaros,headers and some 17 inch boyds rims.its midnight blue and in mint condition.(the previous owner babied it).Only one problem!I still only have my permit...but july 2nd i will be old enough to get my real license and learn how to drag at new hampshire international dragway.
I was just wandering if anyone can give me some general info about NHID,nothing special just some general info about how things are there and any info about the atmosphere there would be cool too.
thanks
Bret
Hey brett welcome to the site. It's New England Dragway I think you are refering too. It's in Epping new Hampshire. I ran the super Chevy show there a few years ago with my last GTA. The best way to learn to drag is to go up there a couple of nights when they have street night. With no chasis mods you will be spinning tires at the start so that is where you should practice first. Getting a good launch. I used to hold brake and bring rpm's up to about 1500-1700, once the tree was on its last yellow I would release the brake and slowing plant the pedal to the floor trying not to break tires loose. I remeber my first pass I was all f'd up. Had the a/c on, AAF cranking, put in D and smoked the tires down most of the track. Needless to say i had a sh**ty time slip. After you got the launch down, shifting gears is going to make a difference on all your times. Keeping your car in the powerband through shifts and not spinning a bearing, bending a pushrod, or dropping a valve spring is the goal. My weekend ended early when I spun a bearing and had to drive the car home. It was a very quiet white knuckle drive home to rhody. Check out the New England F-body club that is starting up too.

Hank O.
Old 02-26-2003, 10:32 PM

Thanks for the tips!I really appreciate them!And i am not sure how far springfield is from quincy..
Thanks!
Bret
Old 02-27-2003, 10:18 PM

Spingfield is about 2 hours from quincy.
I live in warren which is about a 1/2 hour outside of west springfield. I have worked out by quincy, and when the traffic gets bad, throw that 2 hours out the window.