North East Region Regional Board for the North East. Topics like local car shows, cruise nights, good mechanics, machine shops, and so on.

western pennsylvania or swpa junkyard

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 firebird
Engine: 3.1
Transmission: auto
western pennsylvania or swpa junkyard

Does anyone know of any decent junkyards in the western pa (or swpa) area ?
The thirdens in the yards that I know of are either bare or left to rot in the yard.
These yards haven't gotten any thirdgens in for what I'd guess to be a year.

Thanks
Scott
Old 07-18-2013, 10:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Rebuilt 350 going in after paint
Transmission: WCT5, 7k & counting behind the 350
Axle/Gears: 4thgen disc rear w/ 3.73 Posi
Re: western pennsylvania or swpa junkyard

Where are you at in PA? I'm in Johnstown, about 1 1/2 hours east of Pittsburgh. Which yards have you been to? I know of a couple, but the best ones are on the eastern side of the state. On our side, I've been to Millerstown Pick A Part near Kttanning, Sechrist Auto Wreckers near Uniontown, Johnnys UPullit in Altoona which just opened earlier this year, and there is Sigmund's near Greensburg. Millerstown is a good size, and they list the cars they have on their site, but they were kinda pricey. Johnnys is small, but nice people. Sechrist is just as big as Millerstown, and the prices were better last time I was there. Never been to Sigmund's, but they have only been around a couple years. The other places get new thirdgens in 2 or 3 times a year.

If you're ever near Lancaster, hit up EZ Pull & Save. The place is the size of a small town.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:15 AM

I'm in connellsville, about halfway between greensburg and uniontown. I have been to some of the junkyards in eastern pa while visiting relatives.(harrys hazelton, new ringold, and a few others.) Harrys was impressive. I mainly go to sprouts place in uniontown. Sprouts place pick a part is good price wise and has a good selection, especially if you are loking for truck parts; they have a ton of trucks there. I went to marsh auto in dawson today and they have 3 third gens and 2 4th all pretty picked.
I think sechrist turned into strass and that just turned into marsh auto in may. They all have the same address listed. They have a bunch of newer cars in the section they pull. The U pull section seemed kinda small , maybe 1/3 the size of sprouts and kinda picked, especially the f-bodies.
Theres also stoystown auto in stoystown, last I checked though they are expensive. They wanted almost new retail for a used part I was inquiring about.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:06 PM
Supreme Member

I've been to connellsville, seemed like a nice place. I've been to that Harry's in hazleton too, not a bad place. The one in new ringgold is the EZ Pull I mentioned. Where is this Sprouts you mentioned? I need some stuff for my 94 GMC Sierra. Stoystown is expensive, and they don't let you in the yard so I almost never go there. Even though its the closest one to me. I have gotten an engine and trans from them before and had no problems though.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:44 PM

sprouts place is in hopwood, right outside of uniontown. It is off of route 40. I got the hyundai tiburon seas that I am going to install in the firebird there. I will be making a trip to millerstown soon; called some junkyards in the area and they either have very few f-bodies or none. Their website shows that they have a decent amount of them. Everytime I go through johnstown, I stop at harbor freight.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:51 PM
Supreme Member

I love harbor freight! I was so happy when they puth that in. My wife however took one look aat it and said "Oh ****!"

Last time I was at Millerstown, all the f-bodys were right inside the gate along the fence to the right. They also had a 99 Corvette that was the result of an engine fire. I saw it and almost cried
Old 07-19-2013, 08:16 PM

Speaking of toasted corvettes, theres one in sprouts right now too. It's real toasty, I could only tell it was a corvette by the center console; the fiberglass was falling apart. I had the same reaction when I saw it. Come to think of it, would a corvette center console fit a f-body ? It'd be unique for sure.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:50 PM

Car: 86 trans am / 89 gta trans am
Engine: 383/ 355
Transmission: 5 spd/auto

Well I live in Latrobe pa but there is a junk yard in export pa called turack auto (cousin's) that has a 80s firebird and a z28 complete both t-top cars there is also a trans am but I'm tryin to get whole car he will sell parts or right offer whole car z wouldn't be a hard restore
Old 07-20-2013, 11:13 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by ScottS2S
Speaking of toasted corvettes, theres one in sprouts right now too. It's real toasty, I could only tell it was a corvette by the center console; the fiberglass was falling apart. I had the same reaction when I saw it. Come to think of it, would a corvette center console fit a f-body ? It'd be unique for sure.
If its a C4(84-96) it could probably be made to fit. Other gens I'm not so sure. At the very least, you might be able to pull the front brakes to upgrade your thirdgen.

Ijust remembered, there is also Danzer's near Greensburg, although its not a U-Pull type yard.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:12 PM

I'm not entirely sure on the year, it had corvette sewn into the arm rest on the console, it was the only identifying trait the car had. I may snag it next time and see if it fits. I might also look into the brakes. Would the rears fit as well ?
Old 07-20-2013, 05:28 PM
Supreme Member

The rears Im not sure about. If its 97+ I think they will, but dont quote me on that.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:13 PM

I went to millerstown today, the f-bodies were pretty picked over. I did however get a few other pisc parts I needed for the other vehicles.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:46 AM

Car: 94 camaro z28
Engine: lt1
Transmission: 4l60e
Axle/Gears: 3.73
stoystown is pretty much a waste its so expensive for used parts I could buy new, and for the most everything I've seen has been pretty picked over around here.

Posted from Thirdgen.org App for Android