NW Indiana and South Chicago Suburb Looking for club members to have gatherings, cruises, and to help each other out.

GM t-top weather Strip kit may be gone soon?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 11:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 86 Monte SS
Engine: LS2
Transmission: 4L65E
GM t-top weather Strip kit may be gone soon?

This is the new Weatherstrip kit for 82-91 f-body w/t-tops
"NEW T-TOP WEATHERSTRIPS WITH DRAIN PROVISIONS AT BUTT JOINT" pt#10164133

This is really a high quality kit and I have heard good things about the drain provision. Now that Ive seen it and installed it I can say its definitely top notch.. Of course I will have to report on the sealing characteristics..lol.. but just from what I can see and from installing it, there was definitely some engineering that went into this kit.
You get the drip edges, new channels and weatherstripping for the t-tops and, of course, the two main U-Seals. The picture below is one I grabbed from a post Ive been eyeballing forever.

And well, Ive procrastinated long enough to fing that there was only 25 of these suckers floating around between the dealerships and the wearhouses in the U.S. Well... now 24, that I picked up mine.

Keep in mind that there may be other sources that have purchased dealer stock so I am only basing this on what i know from the GM perspective.

So if your looking for this kit.... Just an FYI
Attached Thumbnails GM t-top weather Strip kit may be gone soon?-gmweatherstripping.jpg  

Last edited by chickenhawk; 03-06-2006 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Pontiac GTA
Engine: 305TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt, 2.73
From where did you buy the kit, www.gmpartsdirect.com?

Who told you the 25 left story?
Old 03-06-2006, 10:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 86 Monte SS
Engine: LS2
Transmission: 4L65E
No, I bought mine from a dealership in IL.

The way I came accross this information was from waiting until the warehouse stocked the item as the only way my Father-in-law can acquire GM parts at a discount is to order on the phone and pick up the item at the GM Bolingbrook warehouse. ( closest one to him) I also have a friend that works the counter at a local Pontiac Dealer that did a search for me.
The price my Father-in-law pays is the same you see on the GMparts direct website without the hefty shiping and handling charge this is why I waited patiently for the warehouse to stock one. Once I got tired of waiting I started doing some calling and found that the numbers were extremely low at the warehouses and at the dealerships.
Keep in mind that GM parts direct is also a dealer so they would have the same access to parts as the other dealers and it is normal to move parts from dealership to dealership as requested.

The wierd thing about it is that they dont indicate that the part is discontinued but clearly there is no movement of these parts into the warehouses as the numbers have not changed in three months. (Including Bolingbrook which is 0) This forced me to buy from a local dealership but My Father-in-law was still able to get his discount due to the grim outlook and long wait for this part #.
Hope this helps,

Matt
Old 03-19-2006, 04:34 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA Trans sold :(
Engine: 350 TPI L98 (B2L)
Transmission: TH700 R-4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
dang! thanks for the input!
i have heard about the boilingbrook company..infact i've been there when they had there grand opening a few years ago...it was a big warehouse..

i need to call my local pontiac dealership and see if its still avaliable ...i need
the weatherstripping for my restoration project!