Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

Finished mid-pack at SCCA Pro Solo

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 01:43 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 1982 Z28
Engine: LC9
Transmission: AR5
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Finished mid-pack at SCCA Pro Solo

My friend George and I finished 7th and 6th over the weekend at the SCCA Pro Solo in Fort Myers, Fla. We competed in the STX class with a bunch of Subaru WRX's, a supercharged Mini Cooper and a Nissan NX2000. My Formula is nearly stock, so we weren't too disappointed with the outcome.

If you're not that familiar with autocross, "Pro Solos" have two mirror courses next to each other with a christmas tree and drag-race style starts. Your reaction time is also added to your total time on course, so it's important to cut a good light. It's a bit more intense than a regular autocross because you run side-by-side off the line then occasionally catch glimpses of your competitor as you maneuver through the course! You get six runs on each course over the weekend with your best time from each course added together.

Anyway, I finished with a best of 35.519 on the left-side course and a 35.632 on the right side for a combined 71.151. George had a combined 71.271. The winning WRX had a 68.3! Final results are posted here. STX is near the bottom.

The AWD cars have a huge advantage off the line, not to mention most of them had more into their cars. I don't know if we can catch the front-running WRX's at a Pro Solo after my car is prepped to the limit, but we should fare better on a regular Solo II course. We were giving up 4 tenths to the 60' mark to the winning WRX! He was clocking consistent 1.7 60' times while we were in the 2.1 range.

Anyway, the car is fairly stock with just polyurethane bushings, and an adjustable panhard bar and torque arm (just had the pinion angle at 2). Stock springs (and ride height) and no headers. There are a couple other things we can do to improve handling like relocate the battery to the rear. We were on 245/45/16 Bridgestone S-03's on stock Formula rims. 245 is the max width we can run for tires (no R-compound Hoosiers or Kumhos allowed), and we can't go over 8" in width on tires either, so grip is more of a challenge for us.

Oh and my car weighed 3333 pounds with T-tops removed and nearly a full tank of gas. I was pretty surprised because I thought it would be over 3400-lbs since it has every freakin' option (although the AC has been removed).

There were a couple third gens running in ESP with Tyler Stewart winning overall in the car Sam Strano won with in ESP at last year's Solo II championships. There was also a really nice '83 Z28 in the class. ESP ran just ahead of us so I didn't have an opportunity for pics of those cars.