Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

indy cart or formula 1?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2001, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
indy cart or formula 1?

i know this is not 3rd gen question on racing and what not, but just wondering if anyone could put a light about this. what's the difference between the two. all i know is that indy cart cars are a bit heavier. seems that they race on similar tracks, except on ovals for indy cart cars. makes me wonder why some say the better drivers are in formula 1 than those in indy cart. if the best driver and car from each race each other, which one will you bet on? just wondering...
Old 03-23-2001, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1983 Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: WCT5
I'm not sure if you're a little confused or maybe I'm not just understanding. Indy cars used to be the us open wheeled racers. then IRL came along and threw a wrench in the works. Now we've got IRL cars that race on ovals and aren't too popular and the C.A.R.T. series (also known as "champ" cars). Cart runs all over the country and is the closest thing the US has to F1. F1 is mostly european based class, but is really world class racing. The sanctioning is much different and the cars are VERY different. As far as drivers go, "1/2 of one, Six dozen of the other" (just my little play on words there). It's too subjective to say. I've worked with drivers who are great in one kind of car but can't drive on the street to save their lives'. Nobody can say one series drivers are more talanted than another.

Clem