Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

Torque arm

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torque arm

I have a 89 rs i want build strictly for drag wanted to know how bad it is to now run torque arm i have teo 8.8s at my disposal and would like to throw one on ive read it bad for streey use without arm but what about just for track use
Old 03-31-2017, 10:53 PM

Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86
Re: Torque arm

There are some very fast cars still using torque arm suspension. I wouldn't recommend using stock parts though. Aftermarket torque arm, panhard and LCA plus relocation brackets should all be used.

Although an 8.8 can be modified and adapted, it's not as easy as it sounds since you need to fabricate some way for the torque arm to attach to the diff. There are a few threads from people who have done it. If you don't use a torque arm, you need to use some other method to hold the diff in place such as ladder bars or 4-link suspension. Leaf springs are not an option.

It's easier and a lot cheaper to just buy an aftermarket direct replacement diff. You really only have 3 good options. A Dana 60 which is a very big and heavy diff, a 12 bolt and the Ford 9" which has the best aftermarket options. Each diff has it's own advantages and disadvantages so none of them are better than the other. Also each one, once installed in the car, will cost roughly the same.

Best advice is to run what you currently have in the car. Don't invest a lot of money into it. If you break the diff, then decide what the best option for something better will be.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Torque arm

Thanks for the info i agree just leave it alone til it breaks then upgrade