Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

Black Sled of Death Back On Track (After 8yrs)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 11:20 AM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '91 Camaro RS
Engine: F1R Procharged 383
Transmission: Tremec 600
Axle/Gears: moser 12 bolt, 4.11's 33 spline axl
Black Sled of Death Back On Track (After 8yrs)

Well, it's been a looong time. A total change in life-path, a move across the country and million other things, and the car sat for 3yrs. Finally got it to CA 2yrs ago, and then stated working the kinks out in the parking lot behind the office. Hit a couple of snags, as to be expected.

Finally made it up to Sonoma Raceway on Wed night. The car didn't set any records, but it ran ok and it didn't break, which at this stage of life–and after 8yrs off–is definitely a win. I had as many cobwebs as the car did, so the driving didn't help.

Car went 10.59 @ 139.14.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANsy...ature=youtu.be

Miserable short times and such. The track wasn't prepped super well, was running on brand new slicks and they made it difficult to do a good hard burnout and get the tires working. No excuses, but all things considered it gives me some great ideas about dialing the car in now.

The super good news is, before that pass I upped my shift point from 6400 to 6600 on a hunch that with the Jesel shaft rockers and bad **** valve springs, I was going to get more RPM out of it. And it picked up 5mph So, I will be creeping that up some more in the near future.

All that was on 27 deg of total timing at ~20psi, and running FAT AF (I picked up a few more mph dialing the Methanol back). Some timing, some jets, and some revs and this thing is going put some power down.

I called it early (after 4 passes) because the front china wall was starting to leak oil and I didn't want to **** it all over the track. Probably won't get back up there until October.

Anyway, sorry for the novel ... I really didn't realize how much I missed the track. That was so much fun.

Last edited by 383backinblack; 08-25-2017 at 12:41 PM.