Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Hidden Nitrous?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hidden Nitrous?

Anyone run a hidden nitrous setup? I'm thinking about doing mine direct port underneath the intake manifold.... and stashing the noids in the lifter valley. The only thing that would be hard to hide is the bottle... it would be cool to use a section of the roll cage tubing as a nitrous bottle but would make it a real bitch for filling. Does anyone make any different bottle designs that might be easier to hide?
Old 03-28-2005, 12:24 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '02 Z06
Engine: L33 5.7
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Stock IRS
solenoids in lifter valley... right
Old 03-28-2005, 01:08 AM

Originally posted by TraviZ
solenoids in lifter valley... right

I mean by attaching them to the bottom of the intake manifold.... is there not enough room?... if not I will drill and tap holes in the back of the block and mount them under the car.

Last edited by johnyIROC; 03-28-2005 at 02:05 AM.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:27 AM
Supreme Member

Car: too many ...
You could use a Sneaky Pete system. I think there are a few brands of nitrous kits that are advertised as Sneaky Petes, not sure though.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:37 AM

This article describes how to go through the back of the block and mount them under the car.... I am sure I can find a way to get them under the intake though.

http://carcraft.com/howto/983/

I believe sneaky petes are a portable dry setup good for a short burst. I'm looking for a full on direct port wet fogger installation that is completely hidden including the bottle (most important to hide) I might see if I can get a bottle that would fit in a gutted charcoal canister... but I would hate to put it back in the car and not be able to tell people why its there lol.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:06 AM
Supreme Member

Car: too many ...
Maybe get the flip down rear hatch thing that makes it look flat in the back (had that from the factory on my old B4C). Or if you gotta get real sneaky convert to fuel cell and put the bottles where the gastank used to be? Just thrown ideas out (crazy or not)

How about lots of Sneaky Pete sized bottles?
Old 03-28-2005, 11:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 camaro
Engine: 383 sbc
Transmission: th-400
Axle/Gears: 4th Gen 10 bolt/Detroit TrueTrac 4.
i believe it was this months or last months car craft where there wrote an article on a sneaky hidden nitrous setup. it all mounted inside the air cleaner. the only thing you would have to hid is the bottle. it was a new product article.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 92 RS, 05 GTO (sold), 10 TL AWD
Engine: 383 HSR w/DSC1
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Strange S60/3.73
why not just hide it in the spare tire well, or the other side where the lock box is? you could cut the inside box out and you would have an access door to get to the valve on the bottle. then you could jut lock it up and no one would be the wiser.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:36 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Pair of 92 Z28s
Originally posted by 1992rs/ss
why not just hide it in the spare tire well, or the other side where the lock box is? you could cut the inside box out and you would have an access door to get to the valve on the bottle. then you could jut lock it up and no one would be the wiser.
ditto.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:57 PM

The sneeky Pete would probably be the easiest to hide, its only a 10 ounce bottle, 125 shot i think. Suposed to give you a couple mph and an extra tenth of a second on the q. To me, i dont think itsw worth it, but w/e its all up to you, im sure you can find a place to house a bigger bottle....
Old 03-28-2005, 12:57 PM

Heres a pic of the sneeky pete btw
Old 03-28-2005, 01:20 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
on a "race car" where you remove alot of the underdash HVAC stuff, you could fit a bottle.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:21 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: 350
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70
Plenty of room in the spare tire well

Old 03-28-2005, 03:23 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2000 Trans Am
Engine: LS1
It sure would be a pain in the *** to pull the intake manifold simply to change nitrous and fuel jets.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:24 PM

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys... some very good ideas... I guess I should explain more... I don't just want to hide it from sight... I want it to be completely concealed to the point where if I was to let someone search my car they would never find it. The law here in Ontario is pretty sketchy when it comes to N20 and I have no intentions of using it on the street but rather than explaining why I have it and proving that it isn't hooked up every time I'm pulled over I'd just as soon keep it out of sight... out of mind....

I've heard about ASA racers hiding bottles in the frame rails... apparently there was a guy who mounted one too close to the exhaust and the bottle couldn't contain the increased pressure from the exhaust heat... they say it blew the car apart!
Old 03-28-2005, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by Guido
It sure would be a pain in the *** to pull the intake manifold simply to change nitrous and fuel jets.

I'm plan on setting it at 150 and leaving it.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:29 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
Originally posted by Guido
set it for your max shot, then run a progressive controler or other nitrous "brain"..

Originally posted by johnyIROC
Thanks for all of the suggestions guys... some very good ideas... I guess I should explain more... I don't just want to hide it from sight... I want it to be completely concealed to the point where if I was to let someone search my car they would never find it. The law here in Ontario is pretty sketchy when it comes to N20 and I have no intentions of using it on the street but rather than explaining why I have it and proving that it isn't hooked up every time I'm pulled over I'd just as soon keep it out of sight... out of mind....

I've heard about ASA racers hiding bottles in the frame rails... apparently there was a guy who mounted one too close to the exhaust and the bottle couldn't contain the increased pressure from the exhaust heat... they say it blew the car apart!

my suggestion would be:
leave the bottle at home.
leave it in teh rear storage well, or backseat when you're heading to teh track.

if a officer DOES search your car, and finds it under the dash or someplace, you could be in alot more trouble then you would otherwise...

with the bottle taken care of, just put split loom over the braided line... this is a officer looking underhood... not a mechanic looking for nitrous.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:25 PM
Supreme Member

Just paint it bright red and put a fake fire exstinguisher hose on it.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:31 PM

Originally posted by Karps TA
damn, thats actually a really clever idea
Old 03-28-2005, 04:33 PM

I actually thought about doing that for a minute lol...

I was going try and find something I could stash in a gutted charcoal canister... that way I could run the N02 lines inside of the rubber ones that go to the intake.... but that thing is too small to hold any decent sized bottle.

Does anyone see any problems with using a gutted battery for my N20 fuel cell? They are meant to contain battery acid so they should hold up to gasoline alright... I will mount my real battery in the trunk and if anyone asks I will say I run two for the sound system. I'm thinking about mounting the Holley blue underneath the battery tray where that stupid ball shaped emissions device goes.... maybe gutting that thing to conceal the FP.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:45 PM
Supreme Member

Why would you need a seperate fuel source for only a 150hp shot?

I think you're making this overly complicated and expensive.

If you're that concerned about the legality of it then just get a supercharger or build the engine so it has more power.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:52 PM
Supreme Member

i can sell you the shell of a orbital battery, was a display model from work. looks real, but thier never has been anything on the inside.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by TraviZ
i can sell you the shell of a orbital battery, was a display model from work. looks real, but thier never has been anything on the inside.
You have a PM
Old 03-28-2005, 05:09 PM

Why would you need a seperate fuel source for only a 150hp shot?

I think you're making this overly complicated and expensive.

If you're that concerned about the legality of it then just get a supercharger or build the engine so it has more power.

Right now I run a mechanical fuel pump for the carbed engine.... I don't think it would have enough pressure to atomize the fuel at the nitrous nozzle if I just split off of the line going to the dual feed. I have a Holley Blue pump already... I had planned on mounting a small cell in place of the battery before I decided I wanted the system hidden.

I definitely don't want a huge power adder sticking out of my car.... that would probably attract more heat than a nitrous bottle in plain sight.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:16 PM

What about hiding the bottle in a sub box?
Old 03-28-2005, 05:16 PM
Supreme Member

If you run a good mechanical pump I don't see why it would not. I wouldn't trust a Holley blue pump. They are well known for failure problems.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:24 PM

If you run a good mechanical pump I don't see why it would not. I wouldn't trust a Holley blue pump. They are well known for failure problems.
I will take my chances with the blue rather than trying to splice off of a mechanical that is already close to its limit feeding the 383.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:37 PM
On Probation

Car: 1986 Trans Am
Engine: 305
Transmission: Auto
how about you just try not to get pulled over, and then there wont be anyone to hide the system from.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:42 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx
Engine: Turbo KA24DE
Transmission: 5 spd
Axle/Gears: 4.08 VLSD
Here's an idea.. What if you got a fire extinguisher and used that as a nitrous bottle? Just be discreet about the line going from the bottle to the floor or whatever.. But it would probably work...
Old 03-28-2005, 10:49 PM

Originally posted by 305q_ta86
Here's an idea.. What if you got a fire extinguisher and used that as a nitrous bottle? Just be discreet about the line going from the bottle to the floor or whatever.. But it would probably work...

I don't think fire extinguishers are rated for that kind of pressure... but I could be wrong. Also I think you would have a hard time trying to find someone who will fill a fire extinguisher with N20.

Last edited by johnyIROC; 03-28-2005 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by Megaracerx2
how about you just try not to get pulled over, and then there wont be anyone to hide the system from.

Where I live if you are young and you drive a nice car or a sports car you are getting pulled over. My driving habbits in my GTP are no different than in the camaro but I have never been pulled over in the GTP.... compared with dozens times in the camaro. It is a form of profiling.

Last edited by johnyIROC; 03-28-2005 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:53 PM
Supreme Member

Where I live if you are young and you drive a nice car or a sports car you are getting pulled over. My driving habbits in my GTP are no different than in the camaro but I have never been pulled over in the GTP.... compared with dozens times in the camaro. It is a form of profiling.
Same thing with my primer grey 81 camaro. Got pulled over in that thing something like 16 times in less than a year. It's been five years since then, and I've only been pulled over twice. One for exhaust, and one for speeding. The exhaust was understandable since I was just running a 3.5" pipe back from the Y pipe. The officer let me off for the speeding since I was obviously ill

One of the times I got pulled over in the 81, it was by two canine units, three squads, and two unmarked cop cars. They told me they thought I might have been trafficing drugs... Never did tell me why they pulled me over in the first place. They didn't even search my car
Old 03-29-2005, 10:00 AM

I was reading this thing and it said that any fire extinguisher that is used to hold c02, can be used as a nitrous tank.

This is a tank that this guy uses on his racing bike, although he did the valve wrong (used plumbing ball type valve that cant handle the pressure correctly) it used to be a fire extinguisher, so hey, just leave the design on, stick a little gauge and a hose, voila!
Old 03-31-2005, 11:44 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 GTA and 85 IROC
Engine: 355
Transmission: gear jammer
Axle/Gears: 4.11
The solenoids will fit under the manifold. There are pictures on this site on how it was done. The plumbing is a BIT(H. Trust me. It might be easier to flare one end, put the shinny piece (don't know what it's called) on and then put the threaded part on the straight hardline. From there, screw that onto the nozzle and start your bending. Keep it close to the manifold. Especially if you have a roller block. The spring thing that holds the "dog bones" down could get in the way. W/ all the bends I had-- I mean "my friend" had, we couldn't fit the noids under the intake. So it was decided to put them in the AC box since it wasn't being used anyway...

That box also houses the FPR for my holley blue, the window switch, relays, and whatever else I want to put in there. Make a block-off plate for it and throw a dash of flat black paint on it, no one knows the difference.

The WOT switch is under the gas pedal, the arming, purge, and heater switches are in the ashtray, and the progressive controller is in the center console. My fuel cell is where the bat. used to be and the holley blue is hidden in the fender well. The cell is covered by a dumby battery. It used to be a display w/ the plates removed. I cut out the dividers and now only need some cables and a hold down to make it look "stock".

I'm a huge fan of the sleeper. I think w/ the age of the ricers, it's a lost art form. But that's me, and to each his own. If you need any more help from someone who's "done that". Feel free to send me a PM.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by Free Bird
The solenoids will fit under the manifold. There are pictures on this site on how it was done. The plumbing is a BIT(H. Trust me. It might be easier to flare one end, put the shinny piece (don't know what it's called) on and then put the threaded part on the straight hardline. From there, screw that onto the nozzle and start your bending. Keep it close to the manifold. Especially if you have a roller block. The spring thing that holds the "dog bones" down could get in the way. W/ all the bends I had-- I mean "my friend" had, we couldn't fit the noids under the intake. So it was decided to put them in the AC box since it wasn't being used anyway...

That box also houses the FPR for my holley blue, the window switch, relays, and whatever else I want to put in there. Make a block-off plate for it and throw a dash of flat black paint on it, no one knows the difference.

The WOT switch is under the gas pedal, the arming, purge, and heater switches are in the ashtray, and the progressive controller is in the center console. My fuel cell is where the bat. used to be and the holley blue is hidden in the fender well. The cell is covered by a dumby battery. It used to be a display w/ the plates removed. I cut out the dividers and now only need some cables and a hold down to make it look "stock".

I'm a huge fan of the sleeper. I think w/ the age of the ricers, it's a lost art form. But that's me, and to each his own. If you need any more help from someone who's "done that". Feel free to send me a PM.

Excellent man... that is EXACTLY what I was talking about. Great job! Any chance you could PM me with some pics? I knew it had to be possible to fit the solonoids under the intake... I don't have a roller block so I should have a little more space... and my intake doesn't hang down too low in the lifter valley (RPM air gap). My display model battery should be in the mail any time now... the only question is still where to stash the bottle... I was thinking about actually trying to jam two 2lb bottles into the "battery" and machining the valves so they would fit in place of the "Battery terminals" with caps on them.... but after doing some reading I think I'm going to want at least a 10lb bottle... probably more so hiding that thing is going to be tough. Where did you put yours?

Did you put a fuel cell inside your dummy battery... or did you just use the battery shell as a cell? I'm thinking about just using the battery as a cell since it is designed to contain battery acid... I think it should be able to tolerate some 94 octane... the current plan is to plumb A/N bulkhead fittings into the bottom of the "battery" and mount the holley blue under the battery tray.... noids and nozzles under the intake... and no clue where to put the bottle.... maybe by the gas tank.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:20 PM

Car: 1984 Corvette
Engine: Turbo 350
Transmission: 4L80E with TCI T-Com
Something like this:

Old 04-05-2005, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by JoBy
Something like this:

thats what I'm talkin bout.... solonoids definitely fit under the intake.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:11 PM
Supreme Member

Where did you put your bottle?

Did you put a fuel cell inside your dummy battery... or did you just use the battery shell as a cell?

... and no clue where to put the bottle.... maybe by the gas tank.
- I chose not to put the noids under the manifold b/c of the heat they would be exposed to and it also softens the "hit" the farther away they are from the nozzles. That, and I didn't have to run the wires for the noids through a hot engine block or have 200* oil splashing on them.

- My bottle is in the, very boring, spare tire well.

- I used the battery as a "shell". There's a one gallon al. NHRA approved fuel cell under it. It was too tall to fit, so the stock battery tray was cut out and the cell was mounted approx. 4-5" lower than where the old tray was. The reason for using a cell instead of a plastic container. Safety. My car doesn't see much street time, but I didn't want to risk getting hit and something puncturing it. If you've ever seen a gasoline bomb go off it's not pretty. Plus the cell offers roll over safety, a vent, and a return line fitting already welding in place. For around $70, it's a great peice.

- There are other places to put the bottle. You will need to carry 10# of sqeeze. If you don't need at least 10#'s.........then bump up the jets, you're not sprayin enough. Anyway, you can run 2 5# bottles. They are more expensive but easier to conseal. Bikes run 2-2.5# bottles under their seats. But w/ a big shot, that's one pass. Carry 10#'s, you might look into putting it in the front of the car. Just don't hit anything.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:18 AM

Car: 1991 Corvette
Engine: Bottle fed L98
Transmission: ZF 6 speed
Axle/Gears: D44 IRS/3.92
Go buy a gym bag, or a duffle bag. Put the bottle and brackets inside it, then bolt it to the floor in the cargo area. Looks pretty casual to the normal observer, and all you have to do to remove the bottle is unzip the bag.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:55 AM
Supreme Member

Thant's been played out. What happens when you're asked to move the bag?
Old 04-11-2005, 07:51 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 Z28
Engine: Boosted LSX

Old 04-11-2005, 08:11 PM
Supreme Member

that is scary cool.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:37 AM
Supreme Member

That is a tubing nightmare

Did you do that yourself? Very well done
Old 04-12-2005, 08:58 AM
Supreme Member

The only part I don't like about those kits from NOS is that they only supply a 250 shot. I like the fogger nozzle set-up better, like the last pic. More of a PITA, but worth it IMHO.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:16 PM

Car: 1996 Jeep Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Transmission: 5 speed
Gut one of the rear seats and put the bottle in there. you can even get some of that hard styrofoam and shape it so the seat still has the normal shape, but its hollow underneath. Just a thought that popped into my head.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:47 PM

Car: 1989 RS
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: 700R4
In the roll cage would work well. I know a lot of guys use that as an air tank in Jeeps. You could also hide a couple of smaller bottles behind the sail panels where the speakers go.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:54 PM
Supreme Member

Try finding a speed shop that will fill your roll cage w/ N2O.
How much psi do the jeeps run in their cages?
Old 04-19-2005, 04:53 PM

Car: 1989 RS
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: 700R4
Yeah I don't really know the legalities of it, or even what PSI N2O charges are. I imagine if you could get it hydrostatically tested and stamped you could get it filled. The jeeps I've seen use them as storage tanks for on board compressors to run air tools so I think 150-200 would be a good ball park. I know we use U shaped tanks to store oxygen in our ejection seats @ 3000 psi. It would be pretty slick to mount that inside a deflated spare tire.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:34 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by HawaiianRS
In the roll cage would work well. I know a lot of guys use that as an air tank in Jeeps. You could also hide a couple of smaller bottles behind the sail panels where the speakers go.
Some of the roundy round guys were doing this back in the eighties. WHEN they were finally cought, they were banned for life I;d iimagine it would be safe if done right, but I dont know the legality of it either.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:07 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 Hardtop
Engine: 383 Carb
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44
Originally posted by HawaiianRS
Yeah I don't really know the legalities of it, or even what PSI N2O charges are. I imagine if you could get it hydrostatically tested and stamped you could get it filled. The jeeps I've seen use them as storage tanks for on board compressors to run air tools so I think 150-200 would be a good ball park.
An air tool needs maybe 150 psi. Liquid nitrous oxide has a vapour pressure of what, 1600 psi or so? Bit of a difference there.

Quick Reply: Hidden Nitrous?