Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Dizzy Vs. DIS v. Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 GMC Jimmy/1998 Chevy Malibu
Engine: 3.2L turbo Hybrid/bone stock 3100
Transmission: T-5 soon to be 700R4/4T40E
Dizzy Vs. DIS v. Which one?

This is something that I haven't see discussed to much, if at all.

I've been toying with the idea of swapping to a Dizzy, instead of the DIS I currently run. (reference for my vehicle here: http://www.turbomustangs.com/forums/...threadid=48500)

For me to do this, requires a custom intake, both upper and lower, not a big deal really, I'm planning on that at some point any way, but I'm curious if I should build it sooner to faciltate the Dizzy install.

Now my DIS system is a wastespark system, which from the theory I have read is really only good for emmisions, since I've read that the spark that occurs with the exhaust valve open will actually slow the exhaust gasses. So if that's the case, then a non-waste spark system would be better for a turbo system then.

It also seems that many of the quicker (turbo) vehicles out there run a Dizzy, so there might be some truth to this.

Another benefit I'm looking at is being able to use an MSD 6AL or 6BTM (also considering Digital6), which is cheaper than using a DIS4 and Multichannel BTM.

What are your thoughts on this?
Old 10-01-2005, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 GMC Jimmy/1998 Chevy Malibu
Engine: 3.2L turbo Hybrid/bone stock 3100
Transmission: T-5 soon to be 700R4/4T40E
No one?
Old 10-03-2005, 12:32 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 2005 BMW 545i
Engine: 4.4L N62B44
Transmission: 6spd auto
Axle/Gears: Rotating
on my rx7 the stock setup is a crank angle sensor. it seems to work fairly well. and as far as I know nothing to wear out on them either unlike a distributor. so this way timing stays the same throughout the age of the car. and as you prolly know there are quite a few rx7's that are going fast with a turbo setup.

as far as whats better I donno myself I have always been a little fond of the distributorless systems because of the whole timing should be accurate thing and parts should last a little longer.

as far as that wasted spark I don't see how it would slow the exhuast gas down. it might I'm just not seeing how right now. if anything I would of thought that it might help out. I've heard something with the anti-lag setup some people use one method is by retarding the timing. this basicly will cause the fuel to still be burning when the exhuast valve opens up causing the turbo to spool quite a bit quicker. then go back to normal timing once the turbo is spooled. or something like that at least. I would think with the wasted spark it might acomplish somewhat the same thing with burning the unburnt fuel causing a nice hot pressure wave to hit the turbo causing it to spool a little quicker but again I could be wrong as boost isn't my strong point.