Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Prepping for a supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2000, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prepping for a supercharger

So far this is what I have planned for my L98 GTA (some of which is in preparation for a supercharger)...
aftermarket fuel pump
afpr
larger injectors
ported plenum, intake, and heads
siamesed SLP runners
coated headers
MSD 6AL ignition with timing retard control
standard upgrade of wires, plugs, coil, and cap (though I've heard to stay away from platinum plugs in boost applications)
I already have 3" flowmaster exhaust, K&N airfilter, and TB airfoil.

Now questions...

What size injectors should I get for 8-10# of boost?

What numbers (Lobe seperation angle, duration, lift) should I be looking for in a cam to go with the supercharger when I buy it? I know I want to avoid lift overlap with a high Lobe seperation angle.

Will all the porting of the stock components be a noticable improvement before and after the SC?

ECM chip... custom obviously is the way to go, but what's the best way to get one? Is there someplace in the New England area I can bring my car to and get one made on site? What info do I need to provide to get one made offline, and how well are these custom chips tailored to the engine when they're made in this fashion?

Are there any other steps I should take to prepare the engine for a SC? Anything I should do differently then I currently have planned? This engine will be mated to a T56 with the current 3.27 rear end this spring. I'm looking primarily for a road carving beast (and I've already got most of the necessary suspension work taken care of. Last step is to upgrade the wheel tire package). Will that gearing work well with the 4th gen T56? If not, what's the best gear for autocross applications, though it will certainly see some strip time? I would prefer to enhance the major engine components as opposed to replace them with aftermarket components. Not a money issue to be sure, more a matter of somewhat atypical principles. The tranny is simply a necessity as third gen 5.7s never came with a manual transmission.

I'm leaning more towards the ATI procharger kit then the Vortech kit right now, though if I could get the aftercooler with the Vortech kit for my 3rd gen, I'd go that route for sure. Is Vortech planning on providing an aftercooler kit for the 3rd gen L98 in the future? (Something I plan on asking Vortech at some time in the future myself) Is it possible to install one of Vortech's aftercooler kits onto a 3rd gen L98 using the vortech SC without a lot of fabricating and/or expensive work?

Comments, recommendations, constructive criticism, or unconstructive criticism are welcome

Joe H.