Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

NOS Help...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2001, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NOS Help...

I want to install a Nitrous kit on my ZZ4.
I spoke to someone at NOS and he said that I shouldn't run a plate system on my engine because I have a dual plane manifold. I never heard of this before. He said that the plate kits need to be used on a single plane manifold and that if I used it I would start melting plugs. Is this guy right? I just don't believe that everybody that has a plate kit is running a single plate manifold.
So he tells me to get a fogger kit....I don't want to start drilling and tapping my manifold.
So what I want is a Super Power Shot plate kit that's adjustable from 50-175 hp.
Here's what I got:
GM ZZ4 350 crate motor
Stock ZZ4 dual plane manifold
Holley 750 (3310) Vac. Secondaries
Holley "blue pump"(70 GPH at 9psi)

What do you guy's suggest? Can I use that kit? Will I need to upgrade my fuel system?

Thanks,
Joe

------------------
JOEMAROZZ4
http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/joemarozz4/index.html
'84 Camaro Z28
* ZZ4-350, Carb Shop-750 Holley, Holley blue pump,
MSD 6AL & adjustable timing control, Accel HEI super coil,
dual snorkel RAM-AIR box w/K&N, 700R4 w/Fairbanks Gold 2400 convt.,
9-bolt 3:27 rear, SSM frame connectors, Comp. Engineering
6-point cage, Lakewood lower control arms.
Old 01-23-2001, 11:34 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 Camaro
Engine: 406
Transmission: Pro-built 700R4
That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. NOS works great with a dual plane manifold up to 200 H.P. Then I would suggest running a single plane. You can defenitly run a plate system with a dual plane manifold though. If you stay at or under 150 shot of spray I think your fuel system will be fine. Make sure that your igniton system is also in good working order and retard your timing 1.5 to 2 degrees for every 50 H.P shot of spray ya run. Also run a step colder plug than factory recommended. If you do all these thing I promise that your motor will live a long happy life.

------------------
Superman
Rev'n to Seven
Old 01-25-2001, 10:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '86 IROC-Z + Misc. project cars.
Engine: Supercharged + Nitrous TPI 355 CID
Transmission: Art Carr built Th700r4
There is a certain amount of truth to that statement. A single plain manifold is better for N2O use. A dual plain has some air/fuel distribution problems a single plain doesn't have. Also a dual plain has more severe curves in the port paths. This can cause the fuel to fall out of suspension. The safest thing would be to use a single plain or if using the dual plain use fogger nozzles. However the problem shouldn't be a big one as long as you keep the system jetted reasonably. You get into trouble when injecting large volumes of nitrous and the fuel drops out. With smaller volumes it simply isn't as bad.
The drop out problem is most severe in cooler temperatures with an engine/manifold and inlet air temps that aren't warm enough.
The guys at NOS are just looking out for you. Customers with cooked engines that haven't been warned don't often come back to purchase again in the future.
------------------

Tracy /AKA IROCKZ4me
'86 IROC-Z Camaro
  • 355 cid
  • AFR heads
  • Arizona Speed & Marine hydraulic roller cam w/ AFR hydra-rev kit
  • modified SLP runners
  • TRW forged pistons/ceramic coated
  • fully balanced
  • Edelbrock headers/ceramic coated
  • SLP cat-back
  • Paxton supercharger