Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

To education oneself on SC, PC and so on.....one should read?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2001, 01:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-1
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700r4
To education oneself on SC, PC and so on.....one should read?

I have an 84 L69. My car holds its own, and is slightly modified.

I am going to build up a 327. I like the idea of have decent torque and low end power with the high rpm capability of an 8000 rpm redline. I always just want to have something a little different.

One of the other reasons is I can apply many of the parts I am using on my 305 on the 327, where as a 383 I'd have to start all over again.

What books would be good reading to education myself about supercharges, the different types, their applications, the engine setup needed for optimal performance and so on. What is the difference between a super charger and a procharger?

Also, say I am able to keep the system running on a carb, how much of an issue does hood clearance become?

Is there any blower out there that I could keep hidden away under my stock hood?

What is the difference between a roots type and centrifugal supercharger?

[This message has been edited by gruveb (edited October 18, 2001).]
Old 10-18-2001, 08:49 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 88 Firebird
Engine: Pontiac 301
Transmission: TH350
Centrifugal blowers should fit under your stock hood - they sit where belt-driven accessories are. The car bonnet is your clearance issue and I believe that they work with stock-style hoods. Miniblowers might too if you get a cowl-induction style hood - but definitely won't with a stock hood.
Old 10-18-2001, 10:24 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-1
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700r4
I did some reading last night on the procharges.com. They claimed that there are some benefits of supercharging a carbed set up that a TPI doesn't offer. They explained that with a carb, the fuel comes in a liquid form much latter in the delivery than with a TPI system. They said that allows the mixture to stay cooler longer and because of that the carb acts like a MINI-intercooler.

Anybody used a cent. blower on a carbed 3rd gen. Got pictures?
Old 10-18-2001, 05:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
gruveb,

Procharger is a brand name for a supercharger, like vortech, paxton, & powerdyne. these systems are designed to fit under the stock hood

Now, a roots style blower sit atop the intake, is belt driven from the crank, it sucks the air/fuel mixture into in, compresses the mixture and forces it into the engine, these systems tend to generate alot of heat into the intake air charge. so your only able to run low boost to keep from detonating. though they do start producing power at lower rpms.

Centrifugal superchargers bolt onto the engine like a alternator and are ducted to the throttle body, they are belt driven also of the crank, they suck in air only, compress it, then force the air into the intake at a cooler temp because of the effeciency(sp?) of the compressor design.

There are a couple of books available like maximum boost by corky bell and some other that i can't think of right now.

As far as using a carb, you'll have to have the carb set-up for blow thru operation, A company called Carb Shops can do this for you. but i understand that tuning can be a PITA!

Wanting a 8000 rpm redline, your on your own there, that will be a costly venture.

later
larry

------------------
MÅN¡ÅÇ ©
88 IROC 5.7 TPI
ATI procharger D1sc 10#'s boost, edelbrock TES, complete MSD ignition, Borla cat-back, KB subframe connectors, accel 24# injectors...and a few other go fast goodies

Best E.T. 13.417 @ 106.89 mph. on worn out street tires
http://maniac.megamania.com

[This message has been edited by maniacc (edited October 18, 2001).]