Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

need procharger help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 02:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission: a really good one.
need procharger help.

ok ok. sooooo...... my dad past away 6 years ago leaving me a 1987 gta trans am. has a procharger. my dads friend said every sence he put that SC on there he said that my pops had a overheating problem on the car. he also said he seen the headers cheery red hot!!! the car sat for atleast 5 years intill i got old enough to drive it. so i pulled it out of the garage where it sat for five years and got it running again. ps i was 12 when my dad died. im 18 now. i replaced the oil fixxed the sumit racing eletric fuel pump. ran it hard a few time to get the motor turning again sence it sat for so long. i had no problems with the car. only thing ws that if it sat running for to long it would start to gett hot. now i have a bigger problem. it sputs at a slow speed and wont go over like 30 mph. like idk how to explain it. what could my problem be. one guy said it could be my fuel fillter. whats my problem and what should i do. make the motor stock and keep it simple. or keep the charger on there and have a fast *** car. ps the guy that installed the procharger builds engins. thats it. my dads friend said hes not super charger smart. and he could have installed it wrong. sombody help me!!! ill have some pics of the set up sooooon!!
Old 05-22-2012, 02:49 AM

Re: need procharger help.

Shot at 2012-05-22
Old 05-22-2012, 02:51 AM

Shot at 2012-05-22

Shot at 2012-05-22

Shot at 2012-05-22
Old 05-22-2012, 06:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 iroc
Engine: alum. head 350 supercharged
Transmission: 6speed
Axle/Gears: ford 9in 3.90 35 spline moser axles

I'd pull the plugs out and check them or a loose plug wire will make it sputter and check the dist cap as well could be some condensation in there
Old 05-22-2012, 10:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88 GTA, 74 T/A
Engine: 383 stroker (Procharged)
Transmission: TH400 w/brake (new 2013)
Axle/Gears: 12-Bolt S60 - 3.73 (new 2013)

Hate to say this but it could be number of different things causing you issues, the worst thing for a car is to "sit" for long periods of time without it physically running (years).

It could be something as simple as a bad plug or plug wire or possibly a injector that is clogged. Being that your still running off of the computer (meaning TPI set up), is your check engine light on? If it is, try finding out what codes are popping up, if not check the simple/basics first then progress from there.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:48 AM

Car: 1988 pontiac Trans Am GTA
Engine: DFI,Single Plane,200cc Dart I.E,355
Transmission: Th400 PTC converter
Axle/Gears: Stock Ausie 9 bolt w/3.45 gears

If ya still have a cat it can be that, I remember while back my cat got clogged and was doing the same..
Old 05-22-2012, 11:43 AM
Supreme Member

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

I am sorry to hear about your father, that is very tough to deal with...

Originally Posted by Bauer 904
ok ok. sooooo...... my dad past away 6 years ago leaving me a 1987 gta trans am. has a procharger. my dads friend said every sence he put that SC on there he said that my pops had a overheating problem on the car. he also said he seen the headers cheery red hot!!! the car sat for atleast 5 years intill i got old enough to drive it.
So the overheating problem and glowing cherry red headers happened only once upon a time? The overheating problem can be something as simple as a collapsing lower radiator hose, sticky thermostat, or bad water pump. If the overheating happened in conjunction with the glowing cherry red headers than the air/fuel ratio was more than likely too rich along w/late timing. Did you check engine timing yet...?

... so i pulled it out of the garage where it sat for five years and got it running again. ps i was 12 when my dad died. im 18 now. i replaced the oil fixxed the sumit racing eletric fuel pump. ran it hard a few time to get the motor turning again sence it sat for so long. i had no problems with the car. only thing ws that if it sat running for to long it would start to gett hot.
How hot (in degrees)? Replace your thermostat because it was sitting for awhile. With the engine running at idle, blip the throttle with your hand on the throttle body and watch the lower radiator hose to see if the suction collapses it. Make sure you have sufficient coolant.

... now i have a bigger problem. it sputs at a slow speed and wont go over like 30 mph. like idk how to explain it. what could my problem be. one guy said it could be my fuel fillter.
If the engine was sitting for that long, it is always a good idea to change the fuel filter even if that isn't the culprit. Pull the plugs and check their condition and make sure they are gapped correctly for boost. Inspect the spark plug wires and make sure there are no cracks in them. Pull the EST bypass and get a timing light onto the engine and check your timing. Check the ohms on each and every injector, and if you have a test light, pull each injector harness while the engine is idling and make sure they are being triggered by the computer. Run some seafoam through the fuel system to clean it all out. Note that if you run seafoam through the system, and the engine starts running very rough out of nowhere, then your injectors are clogged. Been there done that.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:44 AM

ok will do thanks
Old 05-23-2012, 05:46 AM

im not sure if my light is on or not. i dont think it is tho. but i will check today.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Street Lethal
I am sorry to hear about your father, that is very tough to deal with...

So the overheating problem and glowing cherry red headers happened only once upon a time? The overheating problem can be something as simple as a collapsing lower radiator hose, sticky thermostat, or bad water pump. If the overheating happened in conjunction with the glowing cherry red headers than the air/fuel ratio was more than likely too rich along w/late timing. Did you check engine timing yet...?

How hot (in degrees)? Replace your thermostat because it was sitting for awhile. With the engine running at idle, blip the throttle with your hand on the throttle body and watch the lower radiator hose to see if the suction collapses it. Make sure you have sufficient coolant.

If the engine was sitting for that long, it is always a good idea to change the fuel filter even if that isn't the culprit. Pull the plugs and check their condition and make sure they are gapped correctly for boost. Inspect the spark plug wires and make sure there are no cracks in them. Pull the EST bypass and get a timing light onto the engine and check your timing. Check the ohms on each and every injector, and if you have a test light, pull each injector harness while the engine is idling and make sure they are being triggered by the computer. Run some seafoam through the fuel system to clean it all out. Note that if you run seafoam through the system, and the engine starts running very rough out of nowhere, then your injectors are clogged. Been there done that.
'
yes iv never seen the headers get that hot befor. and no i have not changed out the thermostat. thanks for all your help. this helps so much.