Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Knock Sensor, and Fan Switch location.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knock Sensor, and Fan Switch location.

After 10 years of ...... resting, my 91 Z-28 is going back together with a nice fresh Corvette 5.7. I have two wires down by the starter, one is for the Knock Sensor, and I believe the other to be for the fan switch. I don't remember where the switch and sensor go? I have the Knock Sensor in the block drain hole, and don't know where the fan switch goes? Do I have the wrong sensor in the drain hole? Thanks for your help. Cbob
Old 06-28-2017, 05:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 88 Firebird Formula
Engine: LO5 5.7 TBI/Ebl Flash
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 stock rear end
Re: Knock Sensor, and Fan Switch location.

Originally Posted by cbob
After 10 years of ...... resting, my 91 Z-28 is going back together with a nice fresh Corvette 5.7. I have two wires down by the starter, one is for the Knock Sensor, and I believe the other to be for the fan switch. I don't remember where the switch and sensor go? I have the Knock Sensor in the block drain hole, and don't know where the fan switch goes? Do I have the wrong sensor in the drain hole? Thanks for your help. Cbob
Knock sensor sounds like its in the correct location, bottom passenger coolant drain hole on block. The fan switch is on the head between cylinders 6&8, also a coolant hole.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: stock

fan switch hole is in the passenger side head between #6 & #8 plugs. It's in the same position relative to the head that the temp gauge sender is in the driver side head. Wire going to it should be green with white stripe
Old 06-28-2017, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, Got it. My head has a plug in the hole, so the Vette must have put the sensor somewhere else? Of course now it's going to be a bitch to get the plug out
If my memory is correct, the computer turns the first fan on according to the temp programmed into the memcal, or when the AC is turned on, then the fan switch brings on the second fan? Or do I have that backwards?

Last edited by cbob; 06-28-2017 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:35 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 88 Firebird Formula
Engine: LO5 5.7 TBI/Ebl Flash
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 stock rear end

Originally Posted by cbob
OK, Got it. My head has a plug in the hole, so the Vette must have put the sensor somewhere else? Of course now it's going to be a bitch to get the plug out
If my memory is correct, the computer turns the first fan on according to the temp programmed into the memcal, or when the AC is turned on, then the fan switch brings on the second fan? Or do I have that backwards?
I wont be much help with the two fan setup as my firebird came with the single fan option. Heres what i do know;

The fan switch in between 6&8 acts as a heat probe that tells the computer its temp. Whenever the coolant between cylinders 6&8 reaches whatever is programmed in the computer for temp turn on point for fan, it turns fan on. So technically from what i know in a stock setup, the fan turn on point can be changed via computer and it uses that temp switch inbetween cylinders 6&8. it doesnt use the coolant temp sensor to turn on the fan, from what i know.