Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

84 Z28 key works intermittently....

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 11:05 AM

84 Z28 key works intermittently....

Before I start tearing into the steering column and throwing parts at it, I figured I'd ask here to see if anyone else has had this problem.

1984 Z-28, 305HO, Automatic, tilt wheel.

If I turn the key all the way back to the "off" position it may take minutes, hours, or days to get the key back in a happy place that will make the door dinger ding and allow the key to turn to the "on" position. Wiggling the key in, out, up, down, pushing hard, pulling out a little bit, etc. doesn't seem to make any real difference. Steering wheel position or tension on the lock doesn't seem to matter either. Wiggling the shifter makes no difference. None of the normal tricks work. New key or old key doesn't matter either.

I literally have to sit there with the door open and slide the key in and out of the switch until I hear the door dinger ding and then I can turn the key and start the car. Some days it take 3 or 4 tries but it has been to the point I gave up and drove the truck and prayed I didn't have to move the Camaro anytime soon. Two days later I got the ding on the first try. I don't want to get stuck somewhere.

I'm stumped. What is the most likely candidate? Lock cylinder or switch on the column or something else?

Thanks! (sorry if this is a long question for a simple answer)