V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

3.1l v6 Firebird has a rough / unstable idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.1l v6 Firebird has a rough / unstable idle

Intro: Hey everyone, I have an unstable idle condition on my car. It has been sitting for 7 years but I've done some work from time to time. The thing is, I never got it running consistently since I would lose interest. Now that I got it running, I'm realizing it's idling like crap and smells like crap and there is a chirping noise coming from the engine. I've attached a video so you can hear the idle, chirp, and then I have this vacuum line that goes to nothing (the line seems to be sucking in air). The other video is to show the temp/rpm gauge as it idles in drive. You can hear it struggling and want to die. If anyone could help me and provide any info, That would be great.

The Issue: The issue with the car is that when I start it, it has a really high idle (around 1000-1200 RPM). After a while, it'll drop down to 900ish. Once it reaches 220 degrees, it'll idle around 750-850 in park. But it fluctuates between 600-800 in drive. The car smells like crap to the point where my stomach hurts after so long lol. I also hear a chirping noise coming from the engine bay.

Work I've done to try and solve the issues:
  1. For the rough idle: I changed the spark plugs, spark plug wires, rotor, distributor cap, oil, checked all vacuum hoses for leaks and IAC valve. It's worth noting that the tune up helped the idling fluctuate less and sound better overall. And my old IAC valve was extremely dirty and didn't have a gasket. I also saw another thread of how to get the new IAC valve to be in sync with the ECM. So I did the steps of disconnecting the battery, reconnecting, turn car on, put in drive, let idle until fan cycles on/off, turn car off for 5 min, turn car on for 5 min, put in park, turn car off. (I'm paraphrasing the exact steps)
  2. For the chirping noise: Initially there was a lot of screeching. The components that drive the belt had some rust on them so I sprayed some WD40 on them and let the car run. After so long, the screeching has gone away. It comes back from time to time but the chirping noise stays. I saw a video that it could be the smog pump? Never heard of that but could that be causing the rough idle and bad smell?

Work that I've done to the car since it began sitting:
  1. Fuel pump went out in 2022ish so I replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel sending unit, gas tank
  2. Started the car around 2023 and the injectors were spewing gas. Went ahead and replaced the injectors to solve this issue (probably could have replaced the o rings alone but I was like eh, let's do the whole thing. Could they be the wrong injectors?).
  3. While I was replacing the fuel injectors, I went ahead and replaced manifold gaskets and valve cover gaskets
  4. Had to cut the exhaust pipe when replacing the fuel pump and the muffler/pipes were rusted through so had to take it to a muffler shop to install a new pipe, muffler, and muffler tips.
  5. Other than that, I did basic things like replace alternator, battery, tune ups, etc.

Conclusion: With all of that being said, I'm looking for advice/guidance. I have researched a lot but I feel like my problem is unique in that I've done a lot of work to the car so I'm having trouble pinpointing where to go from here. I don't know if there is something with the new IAC valve that I haven't done. I don't know if there is something I needed to do after installing the injects to get the right amount of fuel. Consider me a child who needs direction on where to begin troubleshooting this car. Thanks for anyone taking the time to read this.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_2518.MOV (7.91 MB, 8 views)
File Type: mov
IMG_2517.MOV (15.44 MB, 3 views)

Last edited by puttputt; 05-02-2024 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-06-2024, 01:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Firebird
Engine: 3.1
Transmission: 700r4 /borg warner t5
Re: 3.1l v6 Firebird has a rough / unstable idle

for the start measure the fuel pressure could be a cracked fuel regulator diaphragm
make sure that the egr valve is not suck open if it is the car runs very rich
do you put in new ac-delco injectors ? or remanufactured ones ?
i had it with different gm cars that with this age of the car it is not uncommon that the ecm is bad but i would check everything else first
for the chirping sound remove the belt and start the car but only for short if the sound is gone then check the drivebelt components