V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Injector noise?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injector noise?

Just curious, has anyone else noticed excessive injector noise in any of their cars? Mine has done this for awhile, and might be getting slightly worse but it's hard to tell. I was fearing the worst with possible rod or valvetrain noise, but when I checked with a stethoscope, there are no ticking noises at the bottom of the engine. At the side on the head, the noise is present but faint, but when I put the tip of the stethoscope on the fuel rail, it is the loudest. If I place it on one of the metal fuel lines a little way from the fuel rail, the noise is still pretty loud.

In the car it is pretty noticeable, seems like the ticking doubles in frequency during tip-in on throttle but goes back to the same frequency pretty quick. If I rev and hold the engine at 2500 RPM and let off the gas, the noise frequency falls with engine RPM. If I hold the throttle at 2500 RPM and turn off the key, as the engine slows RPM and stops, there is no ticking noise whatsoever.

I took a short video, if anyone is interested in hearing it.

Thanks and hope you all are having a good day!
Old 03-09-2018, 02:16 PM

Car: 88 T firebird
Engine: 2.8
Transmission: t5
Re: Injector noise?

Hi, injectors can be noisey , but id be suprised if they are THAT noisy . does she drive good ? Lots of power ?
Old 03-09-2018, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by zs&tas
Hi, injectors can be noisey , but id be suprised if they are THAT noisy . does she drive good ? Lots of power ?
Yeah, the car drives pretty good, no weirdness or any drama when driving from the engine. The car never really felt like it had intense power from the day I got it (back in Feb of '97) but it has gotten a little weaker over the years and miles. It has finally gotten to where it is using almost a quart of oil between 3K mile oil changes but it is to be expected with the amount of mileage. I would've thought that if it was engine internal failure I would hear it more loudly in the engine bay but that is not the case. I did have someone tell me that they thought it might be a wrist pin but not sure. Still have pretty decent oil pressure, between 40 and 60 psi on the gauge depending on the temperature, and near 80 psi when pretty cold out. I use 10W-30 in it at all times. Thanks!
Old 03-09-2018, 04:31 PM

Car: Sport Coupe
Engine: 3.4 MPFI
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

i dunnoman, from the video, that's kind of a scary sound.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Gfunkill
i dunnoman, from the video, that's kind of a scary sound.
Yeah I agree, I have thought that for several years now. By no means is this a daily driver. I did forget to mention, this car truly earned its name as "Firebird" as my wife was driving it and it caught on fire due to a fuel leak off the cold start injector line coming off the fuel rail. The fire was put out and I got off easy (distributor and wiring harness, plus one injector). It seems like the noise started after that but has gotten slightly worse over time.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:11 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Make sure that none of the injectors bodies are in contact with the intake manifold and fuel rail.

It may also be that the fuel pulsation damper at the front of the engine has failed. I know that the '90 - '92 MPFI cars have one, not sure about the '85 - '89 cars.

RBob.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by RBob
Make sure that none of the injectors bodies are in contact with the intake manifold and fuel rail.

It may also be that the fuel pulsation damper at the front of the engine has failed. I know that the '90 - '92 MPFI cars have one, not sure about the '85 - '89 cars.

RBob.
I'm pretty sure this one doesn't have a pulsation damper, all that is up front is the regulator. I will check to make sure none of the injectors are touching the intake or fuel rail metal to metal. Probably just going to observe over time. If it blows up tomorrow, doesn't owe me a thing anyways. At 394k miles it's exceeded my expectations when I got it. Thanks for the ideas everyone!