TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel injector noise, rear end noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2002, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel injector noise, rear end noise

My 1988 GTA 350(fully loaded, all options) has two annoying sounds that recently began to happen. I didnt know if I should go to the general tech forum or not but I figured since it was a TPI engine somebody here could relate. My first problem are my fuel injectors. All of them give off a ticking sound but one or more of them tick extremely loud. I have a 3 inch flowmaster and I still hear them tick. I am a little worried they are failing on me. I have a complete tune up to oil change to fuel filter and have been putting in a can of Sea Foam cleaner when I get the chance to. By the way, It seems to run better the Sea Foam in the tank. What are some steps for testing my injectors and the wiring with a hand meter. I'd be happy for any suggestions. My final annoying noise question is a high pitch sound that seems to be coming from the rear of the car. It becomes noticable at about 30 mph and gets louder as the speed increases. When I let go of the throttle, the sound goes away, press the peddle, and it comes back. With the engine in park and revving it up, no noise. THink its either the torque converter/transmission or rear end. I thougt maybe my rear end was low on fluid but I am stuck. any help would be a blessing.
Old 03-26-2002, 11:13 PM
TGO Supporter

Ticking injectors are pretty normal. They get louder with increased fuel pressure, and wear. Have you installed an AFPR, or a new fuel pump lately? As far as the rear goes... When is the last time you changed your differential fluid?
Old 03-26-2002, 11:24 PM

My rear end (since I had it) has never been changed. I did notice a little bit of oil on the differential. My pressure regulator is stock. My injectors sound like a valve with no lubrication. How can I check them, and what type of rear end fluid should I use. Its a posi