South Central Region Board for the states of Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisana.

Head Count for the Spring Fling Thing

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 08:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 IROC Z-28
Engine: L98 350--modified
Transmission: 700 R4--modified
Axle/Gears: 4:10 Posi
A couple of last minute things about the "Spring Fling Thing"

We do not have a pavillion reserved at the park. That means we will do the same thing as the summer meet we had there last year. Since it is advertised as starting at 1:00PM, I plan on getting there about 12:00 to 12:30 to drive around and find a spot or empty pavillion where we will meet up. If anybody else gets there early, drive around and do the same --see if there is a pavillion not being used and try and "claim the spot"--or drive around til U see the cars already gathered and join the crowd. The park is fairly large and a few of the areas are not very visable from the main road through the park, so call me on the cell if needed.

713-823-7019

If it is raining on your side of town, DO NOT ASSUME it has been cancelled. Last year, in certain parts of town, it was raining like crazy, but we did not get any rain at the park. CALL IF U HAVE ANY QUESTIONS!

I just got off the phone with Houston Motorsports Park. Yes they are having the "Clobberthon #13", but all that means is that there will be a bunch of badass fast cars there. They said that "test-n tuners" are more than welcome! Admission will be 15.00 instead of 10.00 per person and 10.00 extra (per car--as normal) to run on the strip. The track stays open late, so even if there is times when U can't just keep going back time after time after time to run, while they are running eliminations in the event, there will still be plenty of time to make plenty of passes, before the night is over.

When there is a big turnout at the strip, if all of the regular pit area adjacent to the track is taken, U can park/pit in the the paved pit area (or even on the track itself) of the 1/3 mile paved roundy round track.

We will need to gather up around 10:00 to 11:00PM to look at time slips to hand out the awards for the 3 performance catgories. (Appearance awards will be handed out at the park, before we have the mass cruise to the drag strip--around 5:30 to 6:00 PM)We will "play it by ear" as to where and when. TIME SLIPS MUST BE PRESENTED--NO WORD OF MOUTH! And don't think U can wait down by the timing stand and get a FAST time slip from one of the really fast cars that are there either!!!

2 DAYS!

Don't forget yur cameras.

Bring yur folding chairs or whatever creature comforts U are into! Be sure and bring the appropiate clothing in case it turns cold at the strip that night.

Get your thirdgen virtual swap meet pics ready.

Don't forget to double check your food committments.

AND MOST OF ALL--DON"T FORGET TO SHOW UP!!!
Old 03-24-2005, 01:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Formula WS6 (Black, T-Tops)
Engine: 383 MiniRam (529 HP, 519 TQ - DD2K)
Transmission: Built '97 T56, Pro 5.0, CF-DF
Axle/Gears: 4.11 posi Ford 9"
Sorry, folks, but it looks like I'm not going to be able to make it. I was so looking forward to meeting all of you, too!

I started my T-5 and clutch swap yesterday, and ran into trouble. We spent over 5 hours trying to get the newly rebuilt T-5 stabbed into the crank and could not get it in there. So we're going to have to try it again this weekend. Having the new CFDF clutch (instead of the d@mn chattering RAM kevlar clutch I've been fighting fo about 9 months) wouldn't let me do the strip runs since it needs to be broken in anyway. <sigh>

Sorry, wish I was going to be able to make it, but I need to get the 'Bird straightened out and running. Once the rebuilt T-5 porves okay I've got to get my origianl T-5 sent off to TKO Performance for some heavy duty upgrades, but I can't do that until I know I've got one useable while it's gone....

Have a Good and Safe Time!!!!

- Vern
Old 03-24-2005, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by vernw
Sorry, folks, but it looks like I'm not going to be able to make it. I was so looking forward to meeting all of you, too!

I started my T-5 and clutch swap yesterday, and ran into trouble. We spent over 5 hours trying to get the newly rebuilt T-5 stabbed into the crank and could not get it in there. So we're going to have to try it again this weekend. Having the new CFDF clutch (instead of the d@mn chattering RAM kevlar clutch I've been fighting fo about 9 months) wouldn't let me do the strip runs since it needs to be broken in anyway. <sigh>

Sorry, wish I was going to be able to make it, but I need to get the 'Bird straightened out and running. Once the rebuilt T-5 porves okay I've got to get my origianl T-5 sent off to TKO Performance for some heavy duty upgrades, but I can't do that until I know I've got one useable while it's gone....

Have a Good and Safe Time!!!!

- Vern
Old 03-24-2005, 01:22 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Formula WS6 (Black, T-Tops)
Engine: 383 MiniRam (529 HP, 519 TQ - DD2K)
Transmission: Built '97 T56, Pro 5.0, CF-DF
Axle/Gears: 4.11 posi Ford 9"
Yeah, I agree!!!!!
Old 03-24-2005, 03:07 PM

Car: 1985 IROC Z-28
Engine: 355
Transmission: TH-350
Axle/Gears: 3:73
Bummer, Vern.
Old 03-26-2005, 02:39 AM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.73
I havent posted on here for a while, but i may try to meet up with you all at the track after I get off work. My camaro has been parked for two years so I will been in a cavalier.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:09 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 350 carbed now
Transmission: World Class T5
Axle/Gears: Peg Leg w/ 3.73's
Well guys I hate to say it but I dont think I will be making it. Its like 4 in the mourning right now and I am still working on a major project for school that is due on monday. I will have to work on it tomorrow and I dont know how long it will take. And on top of that I just broke my torque arm and will need to install my jegster arm in order to run. I am still going to try, but things dont look good.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:04 AM

Well, it's 5:30 AM--just looked at the radar on the weather channel--doesn't look good--if the storm front that is in the Dallas area stays in tact and doesn't move off to the east like they said it has a possibility of doing--THAT would definately be a "rainout"

THIS SUCKS!!!

I hate the fact that I have to be the one to call it a rainout or not!!! I'm going to wait a few more hours til around noon and see what it's doing.

I realize this puts the out-of-towners in a bad position, since U guys would have to leave before then to get here in time. If we do call a rainout, and any of U guys are down here, then the least I can do is invite everybody over to me house to help eat all this potato salad and deviled eggs that Mrs. ZAP made up last night! It will go bad before next weekend and there's no way I can eat it by myself!

In fact, if it is a rainout--out of town or not--I'm inviting ANYBODY AND EVERYBODY over to my place to help eat up this stuff. We can still do hotdogs and have a rainout PARTAAAAAAA!

IF U NEED TO CALL ME TO FIND OUT WHAT'S GOING ON CALL ME AT
713-723-6393
713-823-7019 cell

Here's another possibility--Even though the official rain date for the SFT is next Sat, tomorrow Sunday is supposed to be prety nice. I know there is a few of the local people that can't make it next weekend. Would some of U or all of U want to meet in the park--burn some dogs-- and go to HMP?

U know--hindsight is 20/20 (that's why they don't make glasses to fit your butt!)-- I've always wondered why we set the rain date for the next weekend instead of the next day! For future refrence--what does everyone think about having it the next day instead of the next week? In this particilar case--how many would have prefered tomorrow/Sun and why?

Craig
Old 03-26-2005, 06:38 AM

Car: 1989 Formula
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: Finally a working 700R4
I'm open for next day. I'm looking forward to that swap meet (need a good inexpensive tranny) Oh and of course to meet you guys.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:06 AM

I was just reminded that tomorrow/Sun. is out for me. It's Easter and I've got family stuff that we are committed to.

At the moment, (7:00AM) the way they are talking on the weather channels, it is going to move more East than originally thought AND that it will be later in the day (after dark) before it gets here. Looks like we will be able to get in the park portion of the Spring Fling Thing, but the drag strip later in the evening looks questionable! We'll see what happens in the next couple hours!

Old 03-26-2005, 11:47 AM

Because of the impending BAD/VIOLENT weather headed our direction, I am declaring the SPRING FLING THING a rainout. I really hate to be the one that makes that decision, but I've been watching the radar all morning and it's not a question of if, it's a question of when. The impending weather will and already is keeping people from coming to the event. -I have already heard from several people that are not coming because of the weather (one from out of town and 2 from Hou.).

Take a look at the radar link below.

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/USL...r&prodnav=none

The storm front is generating severe rain patterns/flooding, violent wind gusts of up to 70 MPH, tornados, and baseball size hail!!!

However since it will probably be late afternoon/early evening before it hits, and their are too many diehards that won't let a little rain scare them off, we ARE going to the same park and BBQ and hang out til the weather runs us off!!! Besides MRS ZAP has all this food (tater salad-deviled eggs) that will go to waste if we don't do something with it--so those of U that aren't afraid of getting your car wet--come on out and help us eat some of this food.

The official raindate will be next Saturday--4/02/05-- same time schedule. The awards will be given out next Sat.- I seriously doubt the strip will be up and running tonight because of the weather. If we don't get rained out by 5/5:30 and people want to go to the strip--I'm in, but WE WILL NOT GIVE OUT THE PERFORMANCE AWARDS EITHER! ALL of that will be next Saturday!
Old 03-29-2005, 08:49 AM

AS u probably already know, the "rained out" Spring Fling Thing has been rescheduled for this Sat--same time--same place. (see the SFT info + directions thread for more info). The weather is looking pretty good, so I don't think I 'll have a chance to screw it up again! It looks like it might be pretty cold in the evening, so bring the appropiate clothing for the strip as the wind always seems to be pretty strong there!

We will be voting for all the appearance awards. When u get there come see me or Mrs. ZAP and get a piece of paper so U can put your name /TGO screen name under your windshield wiper. Everybody that is there will get one vote in all the different catagories. I will have a form made out for U to use and turn in. we will count votes and hand out the awards before we take off to the drag strip about 5:30.

PLEASE, whoever is the first one in line of cars, leading the mass cruise, MAKE SURE U KNOW HOW TO GET TO THE TRACK FROM THE PARK!

I certainly wouldn't expect any of the out of towners to come down again, so unless somebody shows up that comes from a further distance than K's89RS did, he will get the "long distance award". All of the other appearance awards will be bsed on who is there this Sat--not who was there last Sat.

All of the performance awards will be based on this weeks runs at the strip--not last weeks--U MUST present time slips (YOUR TIME SLIPS--NOT SOMEONE ELSE'S!). We will gather around 9 to 10 PM and do this and hand out the awards.

We have a few left over items as far as food (ipack of sauage that Mrs. ZAP threw in the freezer and a big bundle of bottled water. I know I am asking many of u to bring food 2 weeks in a row, but that's life in the big city! We will get a couple extra packs of dogs and buns, but please bring whatever U can so we have plenty for everybody. I doubt if Mrs. ZAP will make another batch of tater salad and deviled eggs, but U never know with her! So, try and bring whatever U said U would originally bring to the SFT.

See U Sat--1PM