South West Region South West regional discussion board.

Arizona Smog test -- What to expect?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 02:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '02 Z06
Arizona Smog test -- What to expect?

Whatsup guys.. moving to Phoenix from CA. Just trying to get a feel for the smog laws out there. I know it can't get any worse than over here lol.

What is legal? What is not? Do you fail for having a check engine light? Do they do a sniffer test only? Trying to find info online but can't seem to get the exact info I am looking for.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-12-2017, 03:36 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Re: Arizona Smog test -- What to expect?

Depends on the year of the vehicle but as a generalization, if you passed CA Smog checks you will have no issues in AZ. They are not nearly as stringent here as CA. IE: no checks that timing is still stock. If it passes the sniffer and fuel system pressure test, you will pass. They do look for the check engine light to flash when the key goes hot and not to stay on (on OBDII cars they check the code turning the light on for emissions relevance). When you do the first test to title the cars in AZ, they might do a visual for the emissions equipment. After that they don't normally even do the visual if you pass the sniffer and pressure test. OBDII cars just have a computer scan for emissions related codes and the pressure test. Once in state, vehicles with collector car insurance are exempt from testing.

Testing is only required in the Phoenix and Tucson areas and not the rest of the state. So areas like Flagstaff are not tested at all.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:02 PM
jmd
Supreme Member

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R
Re: Arizona Smog test -- What to expect?

My experience with OBD-1 is they pass it if the sniffer, evap, and visual pass, even if a check engine light is set.
They'll attach to #1 plug wire, check the fuel tank neck holding pressure, the gas cap, and run it on the dyno rollers.

OBD-II should pass if they connect and scan and it tests okay. I have heard mixed results regarding visual on OBD-II.