Southern California Area Southern California Members.

Rear disc brake fix...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2002, 03:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Yes...
Engine: Last time I checked...
Transmission: See "Engine"...
Rear disc brake fix...

This is from the GTA Tech board. I'm curious if anyone in the club has tried this mod. The guy who did and recommends this mod is a 13 year mechanic.

$300.00 and a lot of cursing, rear brakes still were not working up to par. WHY? I spent 2 solid weekends on this !@#$%*problem and I finally solved it. The problem is the distribution block, potentiometer or proportioning valve, it has several names. However purchasing a new one will not solve the problem. On most GTA's the front brakes do 95% of the stopping, my research on this topic indicates that the engineering of the front brakes is more than adequate to stop a vehicle except not within the limits we are use to now a days.
THE FIX!!! Buy 1qt brake fluid, a couple of good cotton rags, and a 7/8" wrench. Wrap the rags below the front of the (PV=prop valve) wrap it tight, so you don't get any on the paint. Take a small shot glass and take all of the fluid out of the front reservoir, with a rag soak up the rest. Now on the front of the PV there is a brick red flat nut/cap which looks like a big bleeder. Take it out, CAREFUL there is a strong spring inside, so keep pressure on it with your other hand. Now take it out, remove spring and of course fluid will come out, no biggy. You will now see this little tube on the inside, get a pair of needle nose pliers and remove this tube/piston.Take the spring and tube, place it on the bench and spit on it and curse it. Reassemble:A little tricky, you need to seal the hole in the middle of this nut. I tapped it with a #8/32 tap put a phillips head screw with a tiny gasket under it and it was sealed. Don't try epoxy or silicone, brake fluid is semi acidic. Or go to your local auto store and try to find a manifold plug that will work. Put the nut or plug back in, DO NOT touch the brake pedal, have someone sit in the car while you get your wrench on the nut/plug. Tell them to SLOWLY press the pedal down while you loosen the nut until air/fluid comes out. Do this 3 times SLOWLY and it will be bled properly. Take it for a ride, YOU OWE ME A STIFF DRINK!
Old 04-12-2002, 11:00 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27
I read it also but haven't tried it yet. Lon
Old 04-12-2002, 11:07 PM

I read that from somewhere else about a week ago. I wouldnt advise it. I think what he did was essentially bypass the proportioning valve completely. I'd instead advise an adjustable valve.

My Mustang I essentially have setup that way, I have a couple tee fittings and then the lines. The brake bias is actually fairly close, but the car weighs nothing (its probably 52/48ish F-R) and the rears are 1 piston while the fronts are 4, so I think the whole deal kinda cancels itself out somehow. I dont think a thirdgen is going to be so lucky.
Old 04-13-2002, 12:42 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Yes...
Engine: Last time I checked...
Transmission: See "Engine"...
Chris,
I'm a little iffy on this mod myself. My gut tells me GM set up the PV the way it is for a reason. Tampering with it doesn't sound like a hot idea.

Some of the guys who've treid it said their rear brakes work much better. Another guy said his rear brakes now lock-up too easily.

Yet another guy had a pressure test done, before and after, and claims the front brake psi remained the same while the rear psi increased.

I think I prefer your idea of the adjustable bias valve.
Old 04-13-2002, 10:58 PM
Supreme Member

well

I have tried every thing also. my right side ur's some times, an right now the darn updated clip is off an making a noise like I got rear end problems. My story is junk these things move on up, yep they brake alright but there is better out there for the money..good luck I gotta fix mine...
Old 04-14-2002, 01:54 AM
Supreme Member

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts
Car: '90 Trans Am-12.45@110.71
Engine: 355 w/AFR 195's Elem. 400/430 HP/TQ
Transmission: Tremec T-56
Axle/Gears: 12 Bolt 3.73
Rear brakes

That's right junk that whole setup and get some '93 - '97 complete rear disc's and you're good to go with the '89-'92 prop valve. If you have a 9-bolt you have to machine the brkts. a little but no big deal I can help with that. For the e-brake cables use the '89-'92. They are cheap.

Don>>>