Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Traction with 450ish hp

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Formula 350
Engine: 5.7L (L98)
Transmission: 700R4
Traction with 450ish hp

I'm planning on putting a new motor in my car in about a year or so from now. My goal is about 450hp. One of my big concerns though, is what kind of traction am I going to get on the street? This car is primarily a daily driver, and where I live, it's usually raining during the winter (no snow though).

So am I going to have a hell of a time driving this on the street? Or are there things I can do to get decent traction out of this thing?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-09-2003, 04:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '90 Formula 350
Engine: 383 SBC
Transmission: ProBuilt S/S 700-R4 & ACT 9" Stall
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.23
You'll definitly need some suspension stuff. Most of us already start modding this while the motor is in stock form.

450 hp on the street is doable. You'll have to be a little careful in the rain (big fat tires don't like water much).

Here's acouple things to improve traction:

Sub Frame Connectors will stiffen up the unibody a lot and provide better weight transfer (gets rid of most of the flexing) Most members will agree this should be the very first mod they would have done to there car if they started over again. NM I see you already got SFCs

A wonderbar doesn't do much for traction but will hold the front end tighter and strengthen it so you don't put a lot of stress on stuff by twisting it. ($50) Also make the steering a lot tighter too.

Lower Control Arm brackets lower the rear position of the LCA (must for lower'd cars who want improved traction), which reduces axle hopping and helps you adjust the LCA to where the car grips the best. (Excellent cheap MOD $65)

Lower Control Arms will help you get a little better grip because the stock ones can flex a little. Not to mention you get new Poly urethene bushings too which helps out a bunch compared to the rubber OEM ones.

Torque Arm most people just jump right to this. This should really be close to the last step to fixing a traction problem. It doesn't help if you stiffen one piece of the car up if all the rest is going to flex like crazy. One thing to look for in tq arms is a transmission crossmember. Spohn makes one that takes the tq arm off the transmission tailshaft and puts it on a new crossmember. This helps improve traction by pulling from the trans tunnel instead of the tailshaft. It also makes transmission mounts last a lot longer.

That should be more than enough for you start researching stuff with the search function.

Also take a look at www.spohn.net

Last edited by fireturd350; 10-09-2003 at 04:49 PM.