Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Bad suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: V8 305 TBI
Transmission: W/C T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08
Bad suspension?

I have a '90 RS, it's not in that bad of shape, but I think the suspension's shot in the front. Upon hard braking everything violently shifts forward, I know these cars are heavy but it literally takes up to maybe half a second (depending on speed) before the car will slow down after all the weight has shifted.

What's needs to be replaced here? Shocks/springs?

Also, I was replacing the brake pads and rubber lines a couple of months ago and I had the passenger side caliper off, I noticed that there is A LOT of play at the lower ball joint, it feels as if a nut needs to be tightened or something, is it just a worn lower ball joint?

The car also pulls to the left upon braking at times, I don't see how it could be brake system related due to the fact that I replaced the rubber lines and pads, and I bled all wheels twice to make sure. Could the driver's side tie rod have excessive play or something like that?

Finally, when I lock the wheel to the left and turn, especially if I'm turning through a dip in the road it feels as if the car is bouncing, it feels almost like the car wants to fall off of the wheel, I know upon slow left turns like this it will create a toe out/positive camber, but perhaps if the suspension components are weak it will create an even more exaggerated camber/toe angle.

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:48 AM
Banned

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Re: Bad suspension?

Hello
Just a few other suggestions for you to think about other than the possible shot shocks and worn out springs. I would look into the sway bar end links and body mount bushings (a very good possibility were the floating feeling is coming from). And I would also look into the other bushings,they could be dry rotted as well and make sure hardware is in good shape.
Hope these suggestions help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 01-12-2010, 10:47 AM

Car: 1991 RS
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi

I'm not trying to be a wise***, but I'd replace everything under there.....it's 20 years old now.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:52 AM

Car: '82 Camaro
Engine: 383
Transmission: TKO 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 31 spline 9" with 4.56:1

Yuppers, what jb said... the car is 20 years old and all those factory bushings, rod ends, and ball joints are just flat worn out... Time wise, it's a lot better to replace everything at the same time rather then just one component at a time when they break.....
Old 01-12-2010, 02:27 PM

Alright, do you guys have any recommendations for a kit that would carry most of the components that would need replacing?

Is it difficult to replace all of this?

Thanks a lot for the advice guys.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:57 PM

Car: '82 Camaro
Engine: 383
Transmission: TKO 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 31 spline 9" with 4.56:1

Next question would be, do you want to replace with OEM type parts or aftermarket performance type parts?? For the ball joints and tie rod ends I'd suggest Moog parts, excellent quality! There are any number of companies selling the suspension bushings in a variety of materials.... Pretty much depends on the type you want and how much you want to spend...

As for the amount of work involved, easy job if you've done it before and have all the right tools.... If you've never done suspension work it can be a real bear, and downright dangerous if safety precautions aren't observed!!! Mainly those front springs, if removed improperly, can do a whole lot of damage to the human body!!! Might want to talk with some guys locally who do that type of work, and or get hold of some "how to" books and study a bit....
Old 01-13-2010, 12:22 PM

Yeah, you definately need to be careful with the front springs if you replace the a-arm bushings. Everything else is pretty easy tho and it depends on what your needs are. You can get stock strut mounts pretty cheap or get the super duper adjustable ones I got from J&M for like $200. Poly swaybar bushings can be purchased at autozone for like $40....a new steering link setup (Moog of course) will probably be around $250. The a-arm bushings will need to be pressed in and out by a shop unless you feel like DIY.....but it is a PITA! Struts are easy enough to do as well. The suspension/chassis has been my first order of business on this car since I bought it Sept 2008 and I'm glad I took the time to do it right. What's the point of droppin a big engine in there if ya can't stop it or steer it? Plus it's just all around safer.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:36 AM

Is this the steering set up you were referring to?

http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com...PackageDeal007

along with this what else do you think I need?

What about pitman/idler arms? Do those usually need replacing?

Thanks a lot guys, I'll slowly start purchasing this and replacing it.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:59 AM

That's good....I would add the centerlink and idler arm. I wouldn't worry about the pitman arm tho.