Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Couple Fbody suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couple Fbody suspension questions

I am in the market for a 3rd gen Iroc 87-90 5 speed TPI.

ANYWAY, this pertains to Fbodies specifically, Im used to modding suspensions and am aware of the concepts/basics/general knowledge rules of the road.

1. I was reading one of the stickies, and from what I understood, is that lowering an Fbody, actually puts the control arms at an upward angle towards the wheel?

Are the control arms parallel to the road from the factory? Being this is the best gauge when lowering your car, to keep the arms parallel.

2. Are the stock springs progressive or linear, if they are progressive, Ill just get adjustable shocks with stock springs, to keep the control arms level, or if they are linear, ill get progressive coilovers and keep them at stock ride height.

3. as far as aftermarket companies, which websites have been the most reliable/decent priced? I come from a cavalier, so we have our share of untrusted companies.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion
Re: Couple Fbody suspension questions

yes they can

i believe the bottom of the spring pocket is level at the original ride height, but im not 100% on that

linear, coil-overs are not the best thing going for the 3rd gen

UMI performance, Spohn, BMR, that covers most the hard parts. There are others, hotpart for strut mounts, undalanced engineering, global west, racecraft. Skip edelbrock suspension parts and most of hotchkis parts, all grossly overpriced.

Ground control makes a weight jack setup, whick is pretty nice.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by //<86TA>\\
yes they can

i believe the bottom of the spring pocket is level at the original ride height, but im not 100% on that

linear, coil-overs are not the best thing going for the 3rd gen

UMI performance, Spohn, BMR, that covers most the hard parts. There are others, hotpart for strut mounts, undalanced engineering, global west, racecraft. Skip edelbrock suspension parts and most of hotchkis parts, all grossly overpriced.

Ground control makes a weight jack setup, whick is pretty nice.
Why are coilovers not good, I was just reading through a thread on here talking about springs, and I saw that they limit the front tire size, dunno how or why, but what else is wrong with them?

also, from what I understood in the thread, the eibach pro kits are linear in the front and progressive in the back? thats odd.

Mostly I would be looking for a setup that keeps the control arms parallel to the ground, and since these cars are already fairly low profiled, and considering road conditions in my area, I dont think I would want to go any much lower than MAYBE .75-1 inch
Old 02-25-2010, 12:31 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 85 Camaro
Engine: No
Transmission: No
Axle/Gears: No

Originally Posted by Elite v1
Why are coilovers not good, I was just reading through a thread on here talking about springs, and I saw that they limit the front tire size, dunno how or why, but what else is wrong with them?

also, from what I understood in the thread, the eibach pro kits are linear in the front and progressive in the back? thats odd.

Mostly I would be looking for a setup that keeps the control arms parallel to the ground, and since these cars are already fairly low profiled, and considering road conditions in my area, I dont think I would want to go any much lower than MAYBE .75-1 inch
Coilovers limit front tire size because the strut is already near the tire, and putting the springs on them makes them about 1.25" closer. Also, the top of the spring has to mount to the body, and the bottom sits on the strut, which bolts to the spindle, which turns when you turn the wheels, so there has to be a bearing on each end of the spring.
Not a problem if you just want to go in a straight line.

Front linear/rear progressive is a common setup.

If you want to lower the car and keep the A-arms level or the ball-joint end lower, racecraft makes 2" drop spindles. Or you can get ball-joints with extended studs.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Camaro
Engine: 3.1...not hardly stock
Transmission: 700r4....not stock either
Axle/Gears: 3.73

I believe he's refering to the rear lca which should be level. for that, there are lower control arm relocation brackets (LCARBs). The front control arm should be slightly angled down on the tire side. but, yes extended ball joints will get you about .5" lower in the front. the drop spindles are a nice option if you have some cash to throw around.