Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Front suspension rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2000, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front suspension rebuild

I'm looking at getting things together for a suspension rebuild. This will include Baer track system brakes on the front, all poly bushings, new steering components, and new springs.
I have a particular question about the front springs as I want to lower the front end down about 1". Which of the name brands out there are the best? I have the WS6 package, will the new springs have a comparable spring rate?
Any experience from anyone on the Global West del-a-lum bushings on the street?
Thanks!

------------------
1989 T/A 5.7 WS6
1967 Camaro LS6 454
Old 09-12-2000, 09:20 PM

I just did what you're talking about. I used PST front end kit and added inner tie rods; springs, rear control arms, panhard rod (adj), and tie rod sleeves from Hotchkis;Kenny Brown SFC's; and KYB shocks/struts. I used the SS system from Baer for use with my 16" wheels, the only difference is 1" dia of the rotors. The pads and calipers are identical. All of these parts except the SFC's went on in one night(5:30 -1am) without too many problems. I had one person help me but it wouldn't have hurt to have more. The springs dropped more than I thought they would but it looks good (1.5"). Ride Quality is very good now (2 weeks) but was terrible for a few days, I was really afraid I'd made a mistake. I guess everything just needed to settle in good. Everything fit very well and works great. I tried to save a few bucks on the springs from Granatelli but ended up switching. They seemed to have a hard time sending what I needed and I gave up (3 shipments of incorrect parts). Good luck, Rob./
Old 09-12-2000, 11:10 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27
Yes I like my GW Del-A-Lum LCA bushings. Especially liked the extra grease fitting that each has. I went with Eibach Pro-Kit springs and Bilstein HD shocks & struts. PST uses import components in their kits. So I went with ES graphite impregnated from PSC (sway bar bushings & tranny mount). Upgraded to 1LE front & rear sway bars and added the steering brace (AKA Wonder Bar). BTW, the rear bushings had a grease fitting. I drilled and installed zerks on the front stock sway bar bushing housings, then cut circumferential internal grease channels inside them in an X pattern with a Dremmel and a cutoff blade. I think there are something like 18 or 19 grease fittings to lube now. I chose the GM 1LE sway bar struts. TRW tie rod ends, center link & ball joints. I just installed a SSPE adjustable torque arm and LCA relocation brackets. SLP boxed LCA's & Panhard bar. Also upgraded to the Pontiac WS6 16 X 8 rims and Falken 245/50-16 tires. I am very pleased with the handling capabilities of my 90 RS convertible now! Good luck, Lon.
Old 09-13-2000, 07:06 AM

Car: 87 IROC-Z28
Engine: 377ci, Brodix Heads, Solid Roller c
Transmission: 700-R4 w/ Yank ST3500 Converter
Axle/Gears: 3.73
BMR amkes springs for the thirdgen's that lower the car about 1.5". They are only $139 and powdercoated red. Check them out www.bmrfabrication.com

------------------
87 IROC-Z 305 TPI
MSD 6AL & Blaster II Coil, Richmond 3.73, K&N Filters, TPIS Airfoil, TPIS AFPR, Custom Cold Air, KYB Shocks & Struts, Ported Plenum Runners and Manifold, Comp. Eng Subframe Connectors, SLP Headers, Borla 3", Hi-flo cat, TH700-R4 with TCI Pro Super Kit and 2100 rpm stall converter
www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~ermer

***** FOR SALE *****