Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

replacing master cylinder and power booster/master

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2001, 05:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
replacing master cylinder and power booster/master

Just had a questions for all you knowledgable out there when it comes to brakes. Just want to know how much trouble, if any, to remove and install a new master cylinder and power booster or master, whatever they call it? Not necessarily on a camaro but just in general. My aunt has an 80's pontiac parisienne, needs these 2 things, only front brakes working, was previously diagnosed by a brake shop, but told her it would be $650 -just brakes- When I called around I found I could get master cylinder for $20 remanufactured and power booster for $142, diff of abt $490-wow! What is it with these brake shops, do they think people just have rooms of money to spend, I know they have to make money, but what a markup! Anyhow I thought maybe I may have a chance at it (with some help)but wanted to know if any of you out there have changed these on your cars to see what I may be in for, otherwise what suggestions you may have. Thanks a lot.
Old 11-26-2001, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1983 Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: WCT5
The shop doesn't presume anything about your aunt or anybody else. It's not parts markup that's making the price so high (well, some of it is). It's LABOR. Do it yourself and ask how much you'd charge somebody to do it again. It might not be $600 but it wouldn't be free I bet. These shops are in business because people need people like them to do this kind of work...It's called capitalism, get used to it.

Now...off my soapbox...

It's not that difficult to replace these pieces. The master cylinder is a no brainer. The booster will be a pain. You have to take the nuts loose from inside the firewall...up under the dash, and that is what makes it no fun (thus the $600 bill)

Clem

------------------
SCCA TransAm Series Race Mechanic/CrewChief
-------------
1983 Z28 with LG4, 5 speed, and (unfortunately) T-tops
1983 Z28, NO T-tops, (unfortunately) Auto Transmission (hopefully not for long)
http://communities.msn.com/clemsprojects
Old 11-26-2001, 08:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Bleeding the master cylinder might be a pain in the butt; I've changed quite a few m/c's on my car, and every single one I've done, I always get these minute little air bubbles when I bench bleed. No amount of bench bleeding gets rid of 'em... and I'm doing it all by the book, too... go figure. A Mityvac ( http://www.eastwoodcompany.com and http://www.mityvac.com ) might help; there are also some "pressure bleeders" out there if you do a search through yahoo.com .

------------------
-Tom P (Hot rodded 1986 Firebird 2.8l)