Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Shocks/Struts or New Springs

Old 04-09-2014, 10:59 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 92 RS
Engine: No Engine at the moment!
Transmission: TKX - On the transmission stand!
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Shocks/Struts or New Springs

My car has original everything and I'm not sure I can swing shocks/struts and springs right now. Was looking at Hotchkis Springs and Koni Yellow Shocks and Struts. What is the best bang of my buck right now? Any opinions?
Old 04-09-2014, 11:57 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Shocks/Struts or New Springs

Originally Posted by badtenant
My car has original everything and I'm not sure I can swing shocks/struts and springs right now. Was looking at Hotchkis Springs and Koni Yellow Shocks and Struts. What is the best bang of my buck right now? Any opinions?
I would just buy the koni yellows now; and buy the springs later. We both drive the same roads and I can tell you the difference in braking on the freeway is very noticeable. The over all control on a flat road is noticeable.

The koni's realy come into their own on bumpy surfaces. There is this dip on i35 when you are passing Fort Worth that used to unsettle my rear suspension at around 60 mph. After installing the Koni's I've gone over that same dip at around 90+ mph and my car stays planted! It's very nice having that control at speed.

Even low speed control in corners is noticeably better.

Good luck with your build.

Last edited by Alice89; 04-09-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by NOSHOWALLGO
I would just buy the koni yellows now; and buy the springs later. We both drive the same roads and I can tell you the difference in braking on the freeway is very noticeable. The over all control on a flat road is noticeable.

The koni's realy come into their own on bumpy surfaces. There is this dip on i35 when you are passing Fort Worth that used to unsettle my rear suspension at around 60 mph. After installing the Koni's I've gone over that same dip at around 90+ mph and my car stays planted! It's very nice having that control at speed.

Even low speed control in corners is noticeably better.

Good luck with your build.
Thanks for the feedback! I'll probably just get the yellows and call it a day for now.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:03 PM

Put the Konis on this week...I do like how they feel but my shocks and struts were toast so almost any brand would have been a upgrade. My strut rod on my old struts wouldn't even stay extended when you held them up and down.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by badtenant
Put the Konis on this week...I do like how they feel but my shocks and struts were toast so almost any brand would have been a upgrade. My strut rod on my old struts wouldn't even stay extended when you held them up and down.
I have to admit when I first installed my koni's I was kinda disappointed. I noticed a difference the moment I drove the car but I was expecting more. It took me a good week of hard driving to realize how much more control I had over the vehicle at speed. Especially in breaking & accelerating. That was at full soft and un-adjusted.

A few months ago I took my car to the track and dialed in the S&S via the directions found here: (I quoted Norm Peterson in this thread. Lonnie P writes a nice follow up at the end of the thread btw.)

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/susp...ml#post5724931

I highly suggest you check that thread out.

My corner entry and exit feel was dramatically improved by adjusting the koni's appropriately. You will have to adjust them based on feel. Believe me you will feel the difference that turn on the struts/click on shocks make.

Just out of curiosity; did you get the car re-aligned afterwards?
Old 05-21-2014, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by NOSHOWALLGO
I have to admit when I first installed my koni's I was kinda disappointed. I noticed a difference the moment I drove the car but I was expecting more. It took me a good week of hard driving to realize how much more control I had over the vehicle at speed. Especially in breaking & accelerating. That was at full soft and un-adjusted.

A few months ago I took my car to the track and dialed in the S&S via the directions found here: (I quoted Norm Peterson in this thread. Lonnie P writes a nice follow up at the end of the thread btw.)

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/susp...ml#post5724931

I highly suggest you check that thread out.

My corner entry and exit feel was dramatically improved by adjusting the koni's appropriately. You will have to adjust them based on feel. Believe me you will feel the difference that turn on the struts/click on shocks make.

Just out of curiosity; did you get the car re-aligned afterwards?

I didn't get an alignment yet but it doesn't feel too far off right now. I'm going to replace some of the steering components and will get it aligned after I do that.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 10bolt w3.42 Torsen

I love my koni yellows but as far as bang for the buck goes I wouldn't consider Hotchkis springs for a thirdgen unless your going for a stockish ride at a lower height. The rates are marginally better than stock if at all. I would get eibach pro kit over hotchkis. Research spring rates and whether they are constant/linear or progressive/variable rate, I recommend the constant/linear.