Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Help with getting right steering box rebuild kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with getting right steering box rebuild kit

Hi guys:

So I have a 1970 Camaro that I restored about 10 years ago. At that time, I swapped in a steering box from a 3rd generation Camaro that I bought from a guy online. Being young & dumb at the time, I didn't think about documenting the exact year/make/model of the car that the box came from in case I needed to service it and the only details I have written down in my Camaro folder is that it came from a "3rd generation Z28".

The steering box is leaking pretty heavily and I'm very happy with the feel of the steering (pretty sure it's 2.5 turns lock to lock) so I'm just looking for a rebuild kit for it. I know there's quite a few different 3rd gen. boxes out there and I tried looking for the code on the end of the box but I can't find one.

I see in the sticky at the top of this forum that it calls for a rebuild kit part #8522. Will that rebuild kit work for any 3rd gen. steering box or do I need to know more information about the particular box I have?

Thanks in advance!
-Paul
Old 04-27-2017, 04:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 1,264 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Help with getting right steering box rebuild kit

Those Saginaw steering gears are REAL universal at the paper-&-rubber level. I've used the same kit for a 74 Caprice, 78 El Camino, and 83 Z28. So I'm guessing, it'll fit yours.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4
Re: Help with getting right steering box rebuild kit

Look at your steering gear. According to the RA catalog, the '82 and '83 3rd Gens came with either a 4-bolt or a snap ring cover steering gear.