Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Installing coil spring w/o engine in

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Bone stock 1989 Iroc T-Top,1991 Z28
Engine: 5.7, Carbed 383
Transmission: 700r4, T-56
Installing coil spring w/o engine in

I'm in the middle of my "restoration". I have UMI K-Member and A-Arms that I'm putting in to replace the stock units. I bought a new set of Moog coil springs and figured I would put it all in. Problem, engine is out of the car so as I jack up the A-arm to get the spring in, so goes the car. I bought an internal coil spring compressor but frankly, that thing scares the hell outta me and I dont think it would compress the spring enough anyhow! Any ideas? I really dont wanna swing the engine back in just to pull it out again. I thought about a couple of Hilti's in the floor with a strap or maybe a 4x4 on the K-Member and screwed to a beam in the ceiling? Just hope the beam wouldnt slip and end up through the floor in my bedroom.. Wife would not appreciate that!!! Ideas?
Old 04-28-2017, 02:57 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: '84 Trans Am
Engine: 357 SBC
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 3.73, Torsen Diff
Re: Installing coil spring w/o engine in

Not sure why you're running into an issue... I put mine in with the car completely stripped of everything but the K-Member that I had just reinstalled. Then again, I was working with stock pieces.

What method are you going about it?
Old 04-28-2017, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Bone stock 1989 Iroc T-Top,1991 Z28
Engine: 5.7, Carbed 383
Transmission: 700r4, T-56

Insert coil spring into upper perch, put jack under a-arm to compress spring. Trying to slip the coil spring into the a-arm. These are brand new moogs, they are stock replacements. The A-arm will only get to about 45 degrees and the car comes of the jackstands. There is not enough weight to compress the spring in order to secure the ball joint into the spindle. I put lowering spring in my 1989 Iroc without a problem but that car was at full weight. This car is just a shell, no interior, no rear hatch,no t-tops, just a dash inside. it is on 4 jack stands maybe if I put the rear back on the ground?
Old 04-28-2017, 04:50 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: '84 Trans Am
Engine: 357 SBC
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 3.73, Torsen Diff

My only recommendation would be to use the coil compressor to help you along.