Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

GM type II Power Steering

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 10:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1985 IROC-Z
Engine: 355
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 10 Bolt Posi
GM type II Power Steering

So, a few years ago I swapped in an S10 manual steering box. Worked great, just got tired of the effort it was taking to drive on the street.

I am in the process now to re-doing what I did when I was younger, to make the car more street friendly.

Swapped in a quick ratio box, and a type II pump. The type II pump is something I haven't seen done too often. Its newer, lighter, and looks better.

Used a combo of -6AN series 6000 PTFE hose for the pressure line, -6AN push lock for the return, and -10AN push lock for the reservoir line.

Fittings for the box are -6AN 16x1.5 o-ring fittings (return) , and -6AN 18x1.5 o-ring (Pressure).

All in all I am happy with the result. I dont know if there is a small problem with the box or a combo with the type II pump pressure but when stationary its tough to quickly jog the wheel in either direction, and then smooths out.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum
Re: GM type II Power Steering

I used a type II pump with a mounted reservoir (it's a combination of S10 pump, modified LS1 4th gen reservoir, some full size K1500 hoses, stock f-body hard lines and cooler... and a custom bracket that I machined, it almost looks like a factory install) and rebuilt one of the "HF" tagged close ratio boxes that I have (both from '87 WS6 cars) myself and mine works perfectly, at least much better than the original setup.

Cutting the slot, the nut for the adjustment screw is sitting in the foreground.

The notch at the left was necessary to clear my big electric water pump, the opening you see behind it is the end of the guide slot for the nut that the adjustment bolt threads into

I cut off and epoxied shut the original return, found a thick spot that I drilled and tapped for a new fitting and epoxied that in when I confirmed the angle.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:26 PM

Looks great. I haven't seen it done much but I wouldn't do it an other way its not much cleaner. I do however want to convert to a ribber serpentine system.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:07 PM
Banned

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I'd send this link to junior@turnone-steering.com and I'll bet he could tell you what small tweak you'd need to perfect the system. They understand all the nuances of these systems.

Very nice install by the way. Nice work.

ramey
Old 05-26-2017, 07:32 AM

Thank you