Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Wonder bar and strut tower brace...worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 11:05 AM
Supreme Member

Received 659 Likes on 469 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Re: Wonder bar and strut tower brace...worth it?

Hi Chris ,

I totally agree that if it was some kind of inventory control program making the cart not sell an item the warehouse hasn't got , it darned well should tell you why it's removing the item and in that case also give the restocking date info . That is of course if that was the situation , as it stands now we don't know if it was that or some other kind of software glitch that kept causing the bar to disappear from your cart . Hopefully Lon will see this and if it is a glitch or errant software his IT guy can square it away . One thing's for sure , if he's not made aware that the bar kept disappearing from your cart there is no way he'll be able to fix something he doesn't know about .

Anyway , please report back when you get the bar from Bruce (Hawks) , I'm interested to see if there are any visual differences between the two .
Old 08-19-2017, 11:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 Iroc Z
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Currie 9"/US Gear Lightning 3.00
Re: Wander bar and strut tower brace...worth it?

Originally Posted by battmann
I wouldn't recommend buying anything from Spohn. I haven't had any luck with their products.
I bought and used their pan hard bar, torsion bar, sway bar with no issues. I did go with TDS wonder bar and SFC.

Originally Posted by OrangeBird
Hi Chris ,

I totally agree that if it was some kind of inventory control program making the cart not sell an item the warehouse hasn't got , it darned well should tell you why it's removing the item and in that case also give the restocking date info . That is of course if that was the situation , as it stands now we don't know if it was that or some other kind of software glitch that kept causing the bar to disappear from your cart . Hopefully Lon will see this and if it is a glitch or errant software his IT guy can square it away . One thing's for sure , if he's not made aware that the bar kept disappearing from your cart there is no way he'll be able to fix something he doesn't know about .

Anyway , please report back when you get the bar from Bruce (Hawks) , I'm interested to see if there are any visual differences between the two .
I had the same issue when I was buying the Wonder bar. After several attempts it went through with both items.

Last edited by Robbie_S; 08-19-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:41 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Robbie_S
I had the same issue when I was buying the Wonder bar. After several attempts it went through with both items.
Hi Robbie ,

Thank You for telling us this , now that we know it's happened to more than 1 person , and that you were eventually able to get it to stay in the cart , I'll send Lon a PM and ask him to check in to why it's being glitchy .

Last edited by OrangeBird; 08-19-2017 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Edited to add , I sent Lon a PM asking him to look into this thread and see if his ordering software needs fixing ...
Old 08-19-2017, 12:09 PM
Supreme Member

Kinda weird here that although the original post says "Wonder bar" , a bunch of the posts thereafter has it as "wander bar" in the "Re:" area that appears above each post

And now this post has it correct

Strange indeed .....
Old 08-19-2017, 12:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,664 Likes on 1,262 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

And here I've been, thinking all along it was a "wonder bra"... I always thought it goes across underneath everything on the front and pushes it up to make the headlights look bigger

Last edited by sofakingdom; 08-19-2017 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:30 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27

Originally Posted by Robbie_S
I bought and used their pan hard bar, torsion bar, sway bar with no issues. I did go with TDS wonder bar and SFC.

We are having a weird issue where occasionally items from a multi-item order disappear, but we have not been able to re-create the problem on our end. Please email me if this happens to you. Let us know what web browser you are using and the items you tried to order. I will forward this to out IT guy.

Thanks,

Lon Salgren
Top-Down Solutions
626-369-0040
e: topdownsolutions@yahoo.com
Old 08-19-2017, 01:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 Iroc Z
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Currie 9"/US Gear Lightning 3.00

I used Chrome. Like I said, it took several attempts of checking out, and replacing the item in the cart before I was able to purchase both items together. I almost skipped purchasing the wonder bar thinking it might have been out of stock and went with another company. Glad it worked out though as I haven't heard anything negative about yours and really wanted to buy it.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:50 AM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's

Kinda weird here that although the original post says "Wonder bar" , a bunch of the posts thereafter has it as "wander bar" in the "Re:" area that appears above each post

And now this post has it correct

Strange indeed .....
Moderator edit on the first post. GM calls the brace a Wonderbar.

JamesC
Old 08-22-2017, 09:26 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '86 Bird, 96 ImpalaSS, 98 C1500XCab
Engine: LG4, LT1, L31
Transmission: 700R4, 4L60E, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Tors, 4.88 spool, 3.73 Eaton

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
And here I've been, thinking all along it was a "wonder bra"... I always thought it goes across underneath everything on the front and pushes it up to make the headlights look bigger
:like:
Old 08-22-2017, 10:54 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 88 Firebird Formula
Engine: LO5 5.7 TBI/Ebl Flash
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 stock rear end

Originally Posted by articwhiteZ
your finnish.wiped off... also no decals on parts..(just the red finish/in a rush?)
parts went in oven within 1 hr of the last plate...I have other parts from Founders..and they are powder coated...with decals on them...was thinking you started painting them..as this last set of parts was so easy to strip..
I recently ordered founders strut mounts and received them with no decals either... look identical to the 'J&M Hotpart' strut mounts..... repackaged?
Old 08-24-2017, 10:33 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by JamesC
Moderator edit on the first post. GM calls the brace a Wonderbar.

JamesC
Thank You James , I appreciate the answer .

So , as to the wonder bar , I think maybe it has helped tighten it up a bit in corners , maybe the word I'm looking for it it doesn't seem to "wallow" as much in a tight corner . In full disclosure I have also recently (last month) put some struts on the fenders on both the driver's & passenger's sides , so a combination of the two are likely contributing to the more solid feel I believe I'm now experiencing with it . Like I said in an earlier post , even if the better feel IS due to the "Placebo effect" , I'm happy to have done it in light of the reports of it helping to prevent frame cracks in the steering box area .

PS , as to stickers , I am one of those folks who does not have a single sticker on any part of my car with the exception of the year sticker on the license plate and the inspection sticker on the windshield as required by law where I live . ANY other sticker of any kind is removed using a combination of heat from a hand held hairdryer , "GOO Gone" , and good ol rubbing alcohol . This "anti sticker crusade" of mine started years ago when I first started seeing the stupid "don't put your pekker in the fan" stickers plastered on everything from hand tools to lawnmowers , good grief my riding mower came with more stickers on it than your average NASCAR has !

I've often joked that the solution for the problem of stupid people is to just simply remove all of the intelligence insulting warning stickers & let Darwin take care of it from there

Here are a couple of shots of the fender braces I mentioned .....
Attached Thumbnails Wonder bar and strut tower brace...worth it?-firebird-189.jpg   Wonder bar and strut tower brace...worth it?-firebird-190.jpg  

Last edited by OrangeBird; 08-24-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion

Originally Posted by Ghettobird52
I recently ordered founders strut mounts and received them with no decals either... look identical to the 'J&M Hotpart' strut mounts..... repackaged?
Same company
Old 08-24-2017, 03:22 PM

Car: 89 GTA Trans Am
Engine: 5.7L L98
Axle/Gears: Factory 10 bolt with Stock Gears

There's a story in the how to tab that explains how useful they are.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:13 PM
Supreme Member

I put a wonder bra on my car. I would describe the difference as "just barely noticeable", but in a highly positive direction. Most of the time I couldn't tell a difference but if I was going around a bumpy corner, the car felt just altogether more "solid" and less "floppy". Again, nothing radical or revolutionary; just on the edge of consciousness; but a pleasant feeling of solidity.

I'd look for a LIGHT one. Doesn't have to be "stiff" or "substantial" because it only stretches or compresses, nothing that a piece of EMT couldn't handle. Hanging a big heavy weight like a piece of railroad track out there at the extreme nose of the car, can't be a good thing.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:45 PM
Supreme Member

PS , as to stickers , I am one of those folks who does not have a single sticker on any part of my car with the exception of the year sticker on the license plate and the inspection sticker on the windshield as required by law where I live . ANY other sticker of any kind is removed using a combination of heat from a hand held hairdryer , "GOO Gone" , and good ol rubbing alcohol . This "anti sticker crusade" of mine started years ago when I first started seeing the stupid "don't put your pekker in the fan" stickers plastered on everything from hand tools to lawnmowers , good grief my riding mower came with more stickers on it than your average NASCAR has !

I've often joked that the solution for the problem of stupid people is to just simply remove all of the intelligence insulting warning stickers & let Darwin take care of it from there

Honestly i really didn't want decals or stickers, and was glad they didn't have them. But was just shocked that they didn't come with them were as all pics i seen had them on.

Looks cleaner with nothing on them.

Originally Posted by //<86TA>\\
Same company
Well that might explain the loss of decals...
Old 08-25-2017, 07:33 PM
COTM Editor

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,270 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: T56

I think outer fenders are just along for the ride. If you want to brace a strut tower then connect to the strut tower and triangulate to firewall.

I have an old Global West "wonderbar". It has a bit of a fitment problem with the dual fans. It will go on but you have to cram everything in place.

I am pretty interested in the Detroit Speed steering brace and will probably remove the wonderbar and replace it with the DSE piece. The DSE concept is far superior.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:57 PM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
I have an old Global West "wonderbar". It has a bit of a fitment problem with the dual fans. It will go on but you have to cram everything in place.
Odd, I experienced no issues with my GW bar and dual fans.

JamesC
Old 08-26-2017, 01:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

There is an entire thread devoted to the little braces that GM installed randomly on thirdgens.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/susp...e-confuse.html
Old 08-26-2017, 04:49 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Tibo
There is an entire thread devoted to the little braces that GM installed randomly on thirdgens.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/susp...e-confuse.html
Hi Tibo , Thank You for that link . The reason I put them on is that I was reading a thread some months back where a gent had asked what the empty bolt holes were for on the right hand side under the hood and someone else responded showing a picture of the brace the guy was "missing" . Come to find out in further conversation with some of the folks with third gen knowledge his wasn't missing , only certain cars got the right hand fender brace and there wasn't one at all on the left . I think it was only the performance ones instead of the base models that got them and when I saw I had the same two empty holes I decided that if I ever saw anything suitable I'd set up some braces of my own . Well lo and behold a few weeks after I read that thread I had a direct TV satellite dish removed from the side of my house and it had these two perfect looking adjustable braces that fit just perfect where I wanted them to be . I did have to drill holes (that I painted the bare metal of) to install the left one and it's position is somewhat of a compromise given the master cylinder and such being a bit in the way . Between those two braces and the TDS wonder bar I can say it feels better in corners , somewhat tighter would be a good description , with how notoriously flexible these are in stock form I'll take all the good quick easy tricks to stiffen the chassis anytime I can
Old 09-02-2017, 03:47 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Z28 Convertible
Engine: 350 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.23 with Eaton posi

Can't remember if I had wonderbar first or STB, but the STB was one of the most instantly recognizable "wow that really was worth it" chassis mods I have done. I just remember thinking it felt like the front end was pinched between channel lock pliers. Mine was a custom one piece unit though with no fastenable joints (I was poor but had access to 1" steel square rod and a good welder).
Old 09-03-2017, 10:42 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1992 Pontiac Trans Am Convertible
Engine: 5.0L 305ci TPI
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual, World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.08

When I installed my wonderbar on my 92 TA vert, it made a significant, noticeable difference in how the car drives. More solid feeling, less front end flex, even a little more feedback in the steering. It's an amazing upgrade in my opinion.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 751 Likes on 577 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

I have a wonderbar and STB on the shelf. All these testimonials has me salivating to get them installed this winter.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:19 PM
Supreme Member

I have a wonderbar and STB on the shelf.
You sound like me.

I put parts into my car but sometimes they don't have the desired effect and I don't feel like I'm getting my money's worth, because I install them improperly.
I put them in the back seat floorboard.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:01 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
You sound like me.

I put parts into my car but sometimes they don't have the desired effect and I don't feel like I'm getting my money's worth, because I install them improperly.
I put them in the back seat floorboard.
lol! i know your guys pain...
Old 09-05-2017, 10:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 751 Likes on 577 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

Well, I guess I'm in good company then.

Yes, need to get off my duff and get those installed. The wonderbar is a used original, and needs a little rehab before I put it on. The projects are stacking up. Going to have to juggle some things around so I can get the Trans Am in the attached garage (heat) for this winter.