I'm putting a C4 front suspension into my trans am!! - Page 2 - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

I'm putting a C4 front suspension into my trans am!!

Old 09-29-2017, 07:03 PM   #51
Supreme Member

Re: I'm putting a C4 front suspension into my trans am!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynoDave43 View Post
This is a fascinating project. Congrats on the progress thus far.
Thank you buddy! I want it done so badly and to be able to feel the difference in performance and steering, but the amount of measuring and squaring everything up is insane! Well worth it though to get a nice end product and not a hack job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Definitely interested to see what you do about the upper control arm situation
See attached pic

I'll be making my own frame rail section from scratch so that it appears to be factory, but nice and rigid as well. Metal is currently on order and will be here mon-tues. I've got an idea of how I'm going to do it, so hopefully by the end of next week I have some custom frame rails made up.
Attached Thumbnails
I'm putting a C4 front suspension into my trans am!!-dsc02372.jpg  
whitedevilTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 08:58 AM   #52
Supreme Member

Whoa, that's scary to think about going that far on my own car. I am the guy that had the car that //<86TA>\\ was talking about. We were tossing the idea of doing the C4 front suspension in my 91 GTA. I cut out all the rear suspension to install the C4 IRS already. One of these days I will finish that and, after seeing what you've done here, maybe install a C4 front suspension too
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 03:07 PM   #53
Supreme Member

New vid up! Sort of uneventful because I was slacking with the filming this week and didn't get my metal to make the frame rails because it was out of stock.

Quote:
Whoa, that's scary to think about going that far on my own car. I am the guy that had the car that //<86TA>\\ was talking about. We were tossing the idea of doing the C4 front suspension in my 91 GTA. I cut out all the rear suspension to install the C4 IRS already. One of these days I will finish that and, after seeing what you've done here, maybe install a C4 front suspension too
I'm not going to lie, I did cry a bit inside when I chopped it out only because this car is immaculate for it's age. But to me, it's all just metal work, and you can make it as nice if not nicer than factory if you put the time into it. In my opinion, I'm improving on the design of the car in general, and this is what hot rodding is all about!
Old 10-04-2017, 06:38 PM   #54

Interesting project.
Since I own a 1990 Firebird and a 1990 Corvette ZR-1.
I'm all about modifying.

Might be too early.
1. How are you going to address the shock/strut mounting?
2. Are you going to use the mono spring or a coil over setup?
Firebird90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:05 AM   #55
Supreme Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird90 View Post
I don't think that should be an issue, no? It's "self contained" in the front C4 suspension, so he just needs to bolt it back in and it should be good, right?
Old 10-05-2017, 10:43 PM   #56

The top shock mount is on the frame of my C4.
Attached Thumbnails
I'm putting a C4 front suspension into my trans am!!-img_20171005_080119.jpg   I'm putting a C4 front suspension into my trans am!!-img_20171005_080130.jpg  
Firebird90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:42 PM   #57
Supreme Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird90 View Post
Interesting project.
Since I own a 1990 Firebird and a 1990 Corvette ZR-1.
I'm all about modifying.

Might be too early.
2. Are you going to use the mono spring or a coil over setup?
I will be using an aftermarket coilover setup. I hear the mono leaf has a very rough ride, and I didn't want to go through the hassle of making it work. Coilovers are much easier to package and they also offer any spring rate you'd want to use. Will be very simple to adapt them to the suspension by getting a T bolt adapter for the vette control arm, and then just fabbing an upper shock mount on my frame.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:50 PM   #58
Supreme Member

Well gents, the frame rail is coming together nicely on the drivers side so far! Used a piece of 3x3" .120 wall box tube to make the main frame rail. Inserted it about 3-4" into each side of my existing frame rail sections and plug welded it in place. Added a few "L" gussets in the rear section for reinforcements and will add a few to the front section as well. I used the factory crossmember mount off the vette frame rail and welded it to my new frame rail section so the suspension is in it's permanent location on the drivers side. Still a lot of reinforcing to do and then prettying it up, but the suspension is officially mounted. Wheel is dead center in the well, and it's perfectly square both front to back and side to side.

One concern I have to anybody that may be able to help (cough, cough, slicktrackgod) is that I have about 2" total suspension droop from ride height measured at the hub. I'm curious if this is sufficient for a street car? I can get more by simply notching the frame rail section, but prefer not to if I can get away with what I have. The coilovers I'm using are 12" collapsed and 16" extended, with a recommended ride height of 13.5", so I can't imagine needing much more than 2" of droop. Open to any recommendations though!
Attached Thumbnails
I'm putting a C4 front suspension into my trans am!!-dsc02385.jpg   I'm putting a C4 front suspension into my trans am!!-dsc02386.jpg   I'm putting a C4 front suspension into my trans am!!-dsc02390.jpg  
Old 10-06-2017, 08:44 AM   #59
Supreme Member

2" from static ride height is perfectly fine. That is common anyways due to sway bar holding up one side of the car from dropping out like in an angled driveway, etc. It is common for cars to pull wheels off the ground in angled egresses.

As for travel in compression, my car only had about 1" normal ride travel and never went more then about 1 5/8* max strut travel in most extreme conditions...even though it had more room to move upward freely.

Your project is coming along fast. Most things like this would take someone 6 months to 1 year.

Last edited by SlickTrackGod; 10-06-2017 at 08:48 AM.
SlickTrackGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:15 AM   #60
Supreme Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickTrackGod View Post
2" from static ride height is perfectly fine. That is common anyways due to sway bar holding up one side of the car from dropping out like in an angled driveway, etc. It is common for cars to pull wheels off the ground in angled egresses.

As for travel in compression, my car only had about 1" normal ride travel and never went more then about 1 5/8* max strut travel in most extreme conditions...even though it had more room to move upward freely.

Your project is coming along fast. Most things like this would take someone 6 months to 1 year.
Thanks for the reassurance. Once I get whatever coilovers I decide on, I can set them up so they stop extending to just before the upper arm rests on the frame rail.

As for the project moving fast, at the moment it's my only job so I work on it 5+ days a week. Doesn't pay well, but it keeps me busy haha. Wanted to get it finished up for the most part before the real cold weather starts hitting us here in new england. So far I think I'm relatively on track as far as time goes.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:10 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickTrackGod View Post

I agree. This has been one of the most interesting threads to follow, specifically because the consistent updates!!
Ghettobird52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:05 PM   #62
TGO Supporter

It's looking good so far, much faster than I was when I first started mine. The conversation with SlickTrackGod got a bit spirited, glad to see you guys worked it out. I'll keep checking back on your progress. I'll be posting some pictures of my engine install.
soloc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:44 PM   #63
Supreme Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloc4 View Post
It's looking good so far, much faster than I was when I first started mine. The conversation with SlickTrackGod got a bit spirited, glad to see you guys worked it out. I'll keep checking back on your progress. I'll be posting some pictures of my engine install.
Thanks! It sure helps having the vette crossmember and using that instead of designing a custom cradle. I must say, your's looks much fancier by a long shot, but if I had to build something like that from scratch it would easily take me weeks extra, if not longer. I'm working the factory vette setup as best I can, and from my mock ups it appears I should have no issues with making it work.

I'll keep my eyes out for your pics as well! Good to hear from you.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:25 AM   #64
Supreme Member

Driver's side frame rail fully done, structure wise. Still have to pretty it up and close everything off with sheet metal, but the main structure is there. Took me forever to figure out how to finish it up, considering the frame rail on this side is such an oddball shape with it being the gearbox side. Passenger side will be MUCH easier since it's essentially a nice even rectangle

Heres a few pics showing what was done to get to this point.
Attached Thumbnails
I'm putting a C4 front suspension into my trans am!!-dsc02391.jpg   I'm putting a C4 front suspension into my trans am!!-dsc02393.jpg   I'm putting a C4 front suspension into my trans am!!-dsc02394.jpg  
Old 10-08-2017, 01:26 AM   #65
Supreme Member

And a few more
Attached Thumbnails
I'm putting a C4 front suspension into my trans am!!-dsc02397.jpg   I'm putting a C4 front suspension into my trans am!!-dsc02396.jpg  
Old 10-08-2017, 03:04 PM   #66

This is such a cool project man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedevilTA View Post
Gentlemen, it's bolted in It's currently mounted on temporary adapter brackets holding it to my existing K-member mounting holes, but it should be in the exact centered location according to my measurements. Ran out of time today but tomorrow I may try to cut some holes in the fender wells and get the upper A-arms mocked up so I can really get a feel for how everything is going to line up. But my initial measurements are solid and I am pretty confident it's exactly where it should be.
1992 Trans Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:16 PM   #67
Supreme Member

New vid

Old 10-08-2017, 10:23 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedevilTA View Post
I appreciate the concern, but I have seen you tear into so many people on the forum for wanting to try new things. You seem extremely set in your ways, and thats fine. However, because of people like you, nothing new ever comes out of the third gen community because others constantly get beaten down and discouraged. I'm putting the C4 suspension in my car, period. I can almost 100% guarantee it will feel leagues better than the third gen setup. I may not be a suspension pro, but then again, I could care less to ever throw this car around a track. If it takes an alignment and drives down the street nicely, thats fine with me...that's all I need the car to do. And as for why I'm doing it? Because it's my car and I can do as I please with it. I have not found one single person that did the C4 front suspension on any type of car and had something negative to say about it. I go off of listening to people who have actually "been there, done that." Not just on speculation from people who simply think it's a dumb idea.
Keep up the good work. looking forward to more videos.. its your car and do to it as you please. i think you will have a great out come
TOM305T/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:28 PM   #69
Supreme Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM305T/A View Post
Keep up the good work. looking forward to more videos.. its your car and do to it as you please. i think you will have a great out come
Thanks man! The way I see it is that if it's installed as it's supposed to be, it surely won't be any worse than the factory setup, yet I'll still reap the rewards of rack steering. But in the end, I'm hoping it turns out to be a big improvement in all around driving.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:19 AM   #70

Cool project!
scholtmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:56 PM   #71

Looks good. Nice to see you documenting the build as well as having the courage to start cutting on a really good looking car.
Lonnie P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:01 PM   #72
Supreme Member

More progress today. Doing some of the finishing work on the frame rail and boxing in all the open areas. Really starting to look like a "stockish" appearing frame rail now. Just about done with the drivers side. Hopefully starting on the pass side by the end of the week.
Attached Thumbnails
I'm putting a C4 front suspension into my trans am!!-dsc02410.jpg   I'm putting a C4 front suspension into my trans am!!-dsc02416.jpg   I'm putting a C4 front suspension into my trans am!!-dsc02417.jpg  
Old 10-11-2017, 03:17 PM   #73

youtube sub'd, and following

I haven't ready everything yet

I just put all c4 stuff in my 48 chevy, it is fun...
Attached Thumbnails
I'm putting a C4 front suspension into my trans am!!-104.jpg   I'm putting a C4 front suspension into my trans am!!-18359514_10213254418703947_3627213062254734999_o.jpg  
fun Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:08 AM   #74
Supreme Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun Pain View Post
youtube sub'd, and following

I haven't ready everything yet

I just put all c4 stuff in my 48 chevy, it is fun...
Thanks for the sub! Your 48 looks like it's coming along great. What are you planning on running for front shocks/springs? If you're going with coilovers, have you figured out what brand/size yet?
Old 10-13-2017, 06:53 AM   #75

I am using the factory transverse springs front and back and the factory shocks up front, KYP adjustable in the rear.

only a few short drives working out alignment, so far,,, working on, lights and other electrical at the moment.
Attached Thumbnails
I'm putting a C4 front suspension into my trans am!!-17156094_10212579846400061_2171703235710643488_n.jpg  
fun Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:17 PM   #76
Supreme Member

New vid, and passenger side frame rail starting to take shape fast

Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM   #77
Supreme Member

Lighting man, get an LED work light so we can see what you're pointing at, lol.

Loving what you've done so far
Old Today, 12:42 AM   #78
Supreme Member

Quote:
Lighting man, get an LED work light so we can see what you're pointing at, lol.

Loving what you've done so far
I noticed parts of the vid came out dark. It sucks because I'm using an old gopro I had laying around, and I can't preview the video until after I load it onto my computer. I'll have to try to keep the lighting good. A new camera is def not in the funds at the moment unfortunately lol.
Old Today, 06:03 AM   #79

The big reason for it being dark is your light is facing the camera if you put the light behind the camera then the lens doesn't see the bright light and darken up the picture makes big difference.
daferris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:10 AM   #80
Supreme Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daferris View Post
The big reason for it being dark is your light is facing the camera if you put the light behind the camera then the lens doesn't see the bright light and darken up the picture makes big difference.
That would definitely help if you put the light under the vehicle when you're pointing stuff out.
Old Today, 11:50 AM   #81
Supreme Member

I wanted to give you some "bright" points to your video (pun intended).

To compliment you, you do extremely well with your overall projection and pace as to how you speak in your videos. You could easily do a performance show on television like Overhaulin, etc. I have enjoyed watching your tutorials on how your thought process tackles each step, as well as you do show impressive fabrication skills for doing something in your own garage.

I just want to motivate you to keep up the tedious work that it IS respected and appreciated and as you already know will pay off in the end with years of being proud of what you are doing. When the time comes, I will be as helpful as I can to help you work out any setup and balance issues if you encounter them. I will also PM you my private phone number so if you ever need to talk it is easier that way.

Dean

Ps, what you may have to do if the wheel choice is giving you a little issues in braking and wandering is run a little bit of an aggressive camber to keep the contact patch more towards the inside of the tire width to decrease the effect of scrub. You will wear tires quicker but if you do not drive it for a daily then that is not so much an issue.

Another thing you could always do is add a steering stabilizer and /or increase the power assist volume of the fluid so you have more power control of the rack. you loose sensitivity of feedback but will give easier control of any unwanted steering wheel feedback if any does show.(that is the true question I was just trying to warn you "might" happen in normal driving and "will" happen in in very spirited driving if one tire encounters a bump under very hard braking.

Last edited by SlickTrackGod; Today at 11:58 AM.
SlickTrackGod is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards >