Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

OEM-style a-arms with ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '86 IROC-Z
Engine: LG4 305-4BBL
Transmission: T5
OEM-style a-arms with ball joints

Hi,

Before I ask yes I did use search, and found plenty of threads on tubular a-arms. I am asking about complete factory-style front a-arms with new bushings and ball joints.

My IROC is for street only with the wife and kids, most a hundred miles or so a year. Maybe more once I am through with the suspension rebuild (completed front and rear sway bars and steering components). With the wheels apart and tie rods not connected makes sense to replace the a-arm bushings and ball joints.

My first choice is to refurbish the existing a-arms (clean off surface rust/paint, rubber bushings, ball joints). But there is the pain in the *** factor of the bushings. I see ads for a-arms that have all of it done but none seem to fit my 86 IROC.

Yes I can go with a tubular a-arms but for my application it doesn't seem to make sense to spend $500 when I have a perfectly good set of a-arms and am NOT racing nor dropping in a new motor (my little LG4 starts, stops, and sometimes accelerates).

So that said do any of you fine gentlemen and ladies know of any complete OEM / stock a-arm and ball joints combinations that are not cheap-*** pieces of crap? If not I'll just buy some bolts and washers to remove and install the new bushings :-)

Thanks!

PS thanks for the wonderful information that has helped me out on the work to date. The steering and suspension work has been my most involved work on a car. All in my driveway with basic hand tools. And a lot of "salty" language but so worth it.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:33 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 88 Firebird Formula
Engine: LO5 5.7 TBI/Ebl Flash
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 stock rear end
Re: OEM-style a-arms with ball joints

Unfortunately no. Also not sure what size rims you have but the steering stops are different for 245/50/16 rims so keep that in mind. I ended up pulling mine off the car, having a shop push/press the bushings and ball joints out and new ones in for $60.

Then I did a hand sand with 120 grit and spray paint and it came out really nice honestly, way better than I thought!

Came out great!!
Old 10-23-2017, 10:41 AM

Thanks. I have the stock IROC wheels. I have a feeling I'll do the same as you, expect being too stubborn to have a shop press in my bushings. Ok the local shop quoted me about $75 so might have them do it.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:46 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 88 Firebird Formula
Engine: LO5 5.7 TBI/Ebl Flash
Axle/Gears: 2.73 stock rear end

Take a look a few threads down at W.E.G thread on pushing them out yourself.... Personally I think that $75 will be well spent. Especially if you don't have all the items on hand to try it yourself.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:18 AM
Supreme Member

Received 83 Likes on 67 Posts
Car: 1989 Pontiac Formula 350
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: BorgWarner 3.27 Posi

I'm really disappointed that we still don't have factory a arm replacements.

I am not happy with how the shop pressed in my ball joints. There is no undoing that mistake, so new a arms is the answer. Unfortunately I can gamble on a junk yard pair, or pay a ton for tubular style aftermarket replacements.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:54 AM

Oy. Didn't think about a shop crushing the arm. Maybe I make my own protective sleeves and try renting the press kit. Well first I have to get the a-arm out. Waiting for the spring compressor to arrive. When I dropped the a-arm the inside of the spring was stuck to it. Soaking it in penetrating lube in case they are rusted together.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:08 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 228 Likes on 130 Posts
Car: 84 Z28, 92 C4 suspension F&R, ABS
Engine: 408 LS2, CNC LS3 heads, Comp Cam
Transmission: Magnum F, RTX clutch, Tick shifter
Axle/Gears: DANA 44, Tru Trac, 3:73 gears

If you are interested, I have a set from my '84 that have been powder coated black, Global West Del-a-Run bushings, and Moog ball joints installed. I addressed the steering stop issue with a fabricated adjustable stop. PM me on this site and I'll send you pictures. I'm willing to sell them to you cheap just to get them out of my shop.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:32 PM

Definitely interested if I don't have to go through the hassle. PM sent!