Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Front brakes locking up too easily

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2002, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 camaro
Engine: 383
Transmission: T56
Front brakes locking up too easily

Ever since I changed the front pads and rotors on my camaro (a year ago) the brakes lock up too easily. I mean, if I step on them anywhere past medium hard, they lock up. They weren't like this before, and they're way easier to lock up than my firebird's brakes. What is the problem? Did I get a crappy set of pads and rotors, or could it be something I did wrong. If I remember correctly, I also replaced the calipers at that time. Any ideas what's wrong and how I should fix it?
Old 01-04-2002, 04:50 PM
Supreme Member

theres alot of factors tire size, tire brand, brakes, how much weight transfer there is, it sound fine to me, theres really no reason to constantly slam the breaks anyhow unless your having a 60-0 braking contest
Old 01-04-2002, 05:58 PM

I'm no expert, but can't this be adjusted at the proportion valve?
Old 01-04-2002, 06:33 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 Hardtop
Engine: 383 Carb
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44
Originally posted by 83 MidniteZ
I'm no expert, but can't this be adjusted at the proportion valve?
The prop valve isn't adjustable.
Old 01-04-2002, 10:05 PM

Ummm, you guys misunderstood. There was absolutely NO problem before I replaced the parts, other than that the pads and rotors were worn thin. And this does not occur only when I slam the brakes, it occurs under anything more than average pressure. It is a problem. And it is dangerous. I own two thirdgen f-bodies, the formula and the camaro. I NEVER manage to lock up the brakes on the formy, but it seems to happen once every few weeks when I drive the camaro. So it is not my driving that is the problem. And again, there was no problem until the braking components were replaced. I never touched the proportioning valve or master cylinder, other than to add fluid while I bled the lines.
Old 01-05-2002, 08:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird Formula
Engine: Internal Combustion
Transmission: Completed
Axle/Gears: ones that turn.
Grease and/or oil on the pads/rotors will cause them to 'grab' just like you have described.
Hopefully you used some brake cleaner to remove the grease from the rotors before the pads were set on them; this grease is put on to keep them from rusting while sitting in the boxes. If you didn't remove it, you'll need to get a new set of pads, and spray down the rotors before installing them.

Pete
Old 01-06-2002, 11:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
have u rechecked ur fluid? my friends camaro's front brakes locked up on him once when he was following behind me, scared teh crap out of both of us. turned out he had NO fluid in his master cylinder. how is the pedal pressure and such compared to before replacing everything? is it harder\easier? when u push on it does the pedal continue to go down?
Old 01-07-2002, 02:22 AM

The mc is full, and the pedal didn't change at all, except for the locking up thing. Alos, I was really careful not to get any grease on the pads or rotors. My bird needs new front pads and rotors, so I'm gonna take the pads and rotors off the maro and put them on the bird. The 'maro gets new brake stuff, and the bird gets the camaro's stuff. We'll see if the problem migrates with the pads and rotors to the formula. I have a feeling it will.
Old 01-09-2002, 11:07 PM

Car: '86 TransAm WS6
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Custom TH700R4
I'd take a look at your rear brakes. If the rears aren't working, the fronts will take all the load, and it's a lot of load. I had my rears go to sh_t (bad prop valve) and I didn't catch them untill the fronts started acting up (shuddering and locking) Good luck, brakes are a PITA.
Old 01-10-2002, 06:58 PM

As far as contamination of the pads goes, just take out some sandpaper, and sand any glazing off the pads (the whole pad should be dull when finished)

Do you have rear Drums??? if so check to see that they are adjusted properly. If there is too much clearance between the shoes and the drum, again you'll end up giving more clamping force up front for less pedal presure...and lock up constantly. (I did the brakes on my dad's caravan, and even rolling in the driveway the fronts would lock up when it wasn't adjusted.)

Turn the little dial at the center of the mechanism (so it expands)untill you can feel slight resistance when turning the drum. If there's play when you wiggle it turn it a little more.

Carefull though, If it's too tight, the shoes will constantly rub, cause heat, and destroy your drums and shoes.