Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

UMI Torque Arm

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 10:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 82 Z-28
Engine: Built 406ci
Transmission: 700R4 w/3000 stall
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Torsen Posi, Moser Axles
UMI Torque Arm

I have a UMI fully adjustable torque arm assembly on my car and I have issues with one of the bolt heads bottoming out against the floor pan of the car when I hit a bump especially the passenger side. I also have rear coil overs installed and that's when the problem started. The mount at the rear end has 2 different mounting holes which allows moving the arm closer to the drive shaft but, in my case it will not line up, so are there any of you who use this arm able to locate the mount in the closer holes? Do I need to just take a grinder to the mounting pads of the rear to gain a little clearance? It would move that bolt head and give me the room for suspension travel. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:36 AM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: '89 Formula
Engine: LS2
Transmission: 4L65E
Axle/Gears: MW 3.42 12 Bolt
Re: UMI Torque Arm

Pics are best.

So you have a 406 with 3k stall to a 10 bolt....well, OK.

I wouldn't use the other holes. You need DS clearance and probably exhaust clearance for that 406.
If you only need an inch or less clearance, I would use a dead blow on the floor pan, and if needed, get a flatter headed bolt in combination (grade 8 or better) - easiest fix.

What coilovers did you get and what spring rate? Are they old or leaking oil? How much lowered in the rear are you? Do you have LCARB's? You shouldn't be hitting, but the above small fix can help a minor problem.
You don't give enough info to diagnose, but I suspect the coilovers and springs are not optimal for intended range (ride height). How do you use the car; application, application, application?
Old 07-24-2018, 02:57 PM
Banned

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by cc 82Z-28
I have a UMI fully adjustable torque arm assembly on my car and I have issues with one of the bolt heads bottoming out against the floor pan of the car when I hit a bump especially the passenger side. I also have rear coil overs installed and that's when the problem started. The mount at the rear end has 2 different mounting holes which allows moving the arm closer to the drive shaft but, in my case it will not line up, so are there any of you who use this arm able to locate the mount in the closer holes? Do I need to just take a grinder to the mounting pads of the rear to gain a little clearance? It would move that bolt head and give me the room for suspension travel. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Thanks for posting.

We have the bracket with extra holes just for that purpose. If you have room on the rear u-joint (i.e. not a huge aftermarket one) you can cut the holes off and use the other ones. In case of an "oops" we offer p/n 2205A to replace the hacked one...

ramey
Old 07-25-2018, 12:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 82 Z-28
Engine: Built 406ci
Transmission: 700R4 w/3000 stall
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Torsen Posi, Moser Axles

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Thanks for posting.

We have the bracket with extra holes just for that purpose. If you have room on the rear u-joint (i.e. not a huge aftermarket one) you can cut the holes off and use the other ones. In case of an "oops" we offer p/n 2205A to replace the hacked one...

ramey
Hi, thanks for the reply, so my bracket has 2 sets of holes already, so if I understand, I could cut the bracket provided I have the clearance with my u-joint? I run a 4th gen aluminum shaft assembly so that should be good? I will have to get the car in the air and take some measurements. Thanks again.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:02 PM
Banned

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Correct, if the u-joint doesn't interfere, you can cut the unused holes off with no loss of strength whatsoever.

ramey
Old 07-25-2018, 12:25 PM
COTM Editor

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,270 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: T56

That UMI bracket at the axle side is a really nice piece. I used one of those to make a custom torque arm that turned out real nice.