Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

HELP SOS ...power steering pump...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 RS VERT
Engine: 305 9.67 2.02 58 cc 282 480 108 LC
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4.11 POSI
HELP SOS ...power steering pump...

Need some help on a power steering pump I am having....I bought an 1989 GMC 350 transplant truck...it has a serpentine setup on it that doesnt belong on the truck and looks the same as a 90's Camaro setup ...However the power steering pump serpentine bracket decoded to a 1993 Bucik Roadmaster ....2 different Roadmaster pumps dont fit and three other various pumps havent fit. - the hole at one oclock doesnt line up ........I have a 1991 350 Camaro. The bracket looks to be exactly the same - so now I am wondering if a Camaro pump will work. Can someone who has a loose 91 ' ish vintage power steering serpentine bracket get the GM p/n off of the back of it for me ? The Roadmaster p/n of the bracket was GM 10105264 .....here is a pic of the pumps and bracket showing the difference - original pump that fits is on the right ...NOTE that 1 Oclock hole is usually the problem ...the ones that dont fit that hole is clocked wrong at 2 o clock .............

Last edited by sootie007; 08-06-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1992 Formula 350
Engine: L98
Re: HELP SOS ...power steering pump...

Cant't get the pump off a the moment but here are some pics.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Looks the same as the Camaro serpentine bracket. The one I've got laying here has a different casting number, but then I didn't remove it from a thirdgen myself, so who can say it's the real thing either?

All of the power steering pumps (GM Saginaw thirdgen pumps) I have looked at, are the same pump, only the reservoirs are slightly different. The differences are usually in the return line tube, and sometimes the studs on the back, but generally the pumps are always the same the reservoirs just change.

Pop the reservoir off the original pump that fits, pop it on the replacement pump, voila!
Old 08-06-2018, 08:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,664 Likes on 1,262 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

All of the power steering pumps (GM Saginaw thirdgen pumps) I have looked at, are the same pump, only the reservoirs are slightly different.
^^^ This ^^^

Except it's not just thirdgen pumps; it's pretty much ALL of em.

There's bolts and the high-pressure fitting on the back, that unscrew. Take those out and the pump just comes right out of the reservoir. Put your working pump into the reservoir that fits. (assuming you have a correct reservoir...) Be real careful with the big O-ring that seals the pump into the front of the reservoir, it SUX HARD when that doesn't seal right.

If you don't have the right reservoir, it gets harder.

I would suggest in that case, if you think a Camaro pump might fit, find photos of Camaro pumps, maybe go to the parts store and look at a few of em. I've never tried to buy just a reservoir but I've seen where other people did that successfully. Once you find a pump that bolts up, start looking for that reservoir, and buy it. Although honestly, might cost about the same to buy a whole pump at the parts store.