Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Front driver's side still knocks after suspension upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: 305
Transmission: A/T
Front driver's side still knocks after suspension upgrade

A couple of years ago I noticed when I was bounce checking my front end that the passenger side would clunk. Later, both sides would clunk. I had original steering components and 15 year old struts so I figured something like that was the culprit. Relatively recently I started to hear and feel the clunk while driving over abrupt bumps on both sides so I changed the ball joints and all the steering components. Still clunked. I was sure it was the struts or strut mounts since there was visible tearing and rubber dust around the mount bearings. Changing them actually smoothed everything out and made the clunking less noticeable overall. Now only the driver's side clunks when I do the bounce test but I don't even have to bounce very hard and it clunks going down and up and I can feel it in the metal where I'm pushing very easily when I push around the strut mount area. No bolts that I could find were loose, the sway bar links and bushings are in good shape and I've had the wonder bar for 20 years so I'm not thinking the frame is cracked. It doesn't seem to affect steering at all. All I have left I think are the a-arm bushings but I wouldn't expect a knock on the down and up bounce with some light pushing on the fender. Anyone have anything similar?
Old 04-10-2019, 12:31 AM
Supreme Member

Received 124 Likes on 91 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC Convertible
Engine: 350 TPI L98
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: Front driver's side still knocks after suspension upgrade

Have you checked the frame bolts? Just as a double check?
Old 04-10-2019, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: 305
Transmission: A/T
Re: Front driver's side still knocks after suspension upgrade

I have not. I will thanks!

Maybe I discovered something related today. I gunned the accelerator at around 10 mph to go around someone overly slow this morning and the rear made a violent bang noise. I confirmed a few times that it only did it in the same situation of low speed/floor it/downshift and did not do it if I was going 30 or higher and floored it. I wonder if the torque arm bushing needs replacing. I replaced the tranny mount with a poly one not too long ago so I don't know if that would be it. I have noticed lately if I brake really hard to stop, something kind of clunks at the end of the stop and gives a small bang once I take off again. Very specific situation with that too. I've never replaced the torque mount with 280k miles now so maybe that's it.