TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Removing the smog pump... is it worth the time??

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS/63 Chevy II
Engine: 305 TBI/355" Predator Carbed
Transmission: 5 Spd\T400 w/TBrake
Axle/Gears: Unknown/4.11
Re: Removing the smog pump... is it worth the time??

I've got a '91 RS with the 305 and a MAJOR exhaust leak coming from the smog junk on the passenger side of the engine. My Chevy II restore should be complete within the next couple of weeks and then I get started on the Camaro. First thing on the agenda is taking care of that exhaust leak so I can at least enjoy banging some gears while I'm figuring out how far I want to take the project.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:56 AM

Car: 91 CAMARO RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: AUTOMATIC

I guess no one knows why the egr solenoid shares the same wire as the smog components? It makes me beleive that they may have something to do with one another. Im not sure though.
Anyhow as far as any type of exhaust recirculating devise is being good for a engine I dont think so. The system might warm your engine up faster, but its meant to have your engine clean your dirty exhaust. Can anyone say carbon build up. Idk but every engine build I have read capping the egr netted HP. Im for a clean earth and enviroment, but when you have industrial plants all over the world putting out tons of pollutants, and over populated countries like China that have horrible pollution and lets not forget are friendly neighbors Mexico there vehicles suck pollution wise and Mexico, City is drapped in a smog I have been there, I dont think my capped egr valve is going to even make a change.
But I dont blame the guys from those states that have it no other way, trying to put up a good argument.
I got rid of my crap because it was hidding my engine and it looked ugly, not for speed or weight. Now if it was turbo pluming hidding my engine I would be ok with it.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 Chevy Camaro RS
Engine: L30 TBI 5.0L Vortec
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Stock

Originally Posted by chevysurfer
does anyone know why the egr solenoid shares same wire with smog recirculation components. If smog is pulled will the egr solenoid function corectly?
Youll be fine, ive been running mine without that smog crap for about 3 years now and had no issues what so ever.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Regulator
Youll be fine, ive been running mine without that smog crap for about 3 years now and had no issues what so ever.
Thanks for the reply, I was thinking it would run fine. I saw engine builds that they blocked off the egr, and I have read post on here of it done. Theres just a strong opinion on here that blocking it off, if originally equiped with can cause burnt plugs or early detonation, running rich. You have had it off for 3yrs, you said it runs fine. Does it run the same or is there any difference? I didnt do this as a performance mod, I did it for asthetics of the engine and bay it looked to crouded in there. Thanks....
Old 11-21-2010, 09:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 Chevy Camaro RS
Engine: L30 TBI 5.0L Vortec
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Stock

Originally Posted by chevysurfer
Thanks for the reply, I was thinking it would run fine. I saw engine builds that they blocked off the egr, and I have read post on here of it done. Theres just a strong opinion on here that blocking it off, if originally equiped with can cause burnt plugs or early detonation, running rich. You have had it off for 3yrs, you said it runs fine. Does it run the same or is there any difference? I didnt do this as a performance mod, I did it for asthetics of the engine and bay it looked to crouded in there. Thanks....
Same reason I did it. Cant tell any difference either way but my motor is at its end of life
Old 11-22-2010, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Regulator
Same reason I did it. Cant tell any difference either way but my motor is at its end of life
Hey if you got the same engine as I do. It probley has a lot more in it than you think. My engine has been on its last leg for a long time. Its no high performer, but its a work horse and it can take any abuse you can give it.
I have had mechanics tell me to drive it tell the wheels fall off, then see me a couple years later and be suprised to see me in old faithful. Ive had friends act like there rides where nicer, better, newer. But I would be at work bright and early and they would be calling in saying "my car broke down I dont know whats wrong with it".
Hey you got a chip for your engine I see, I went to the sight and was checking it out. Was it worth the money, and what was the difference. Thanks