TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Crossfire Camaro Hesitation/"Bumping"

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 03:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 Camaro Base model
Engine: 305 LO3 5.0L V8 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10Bolt Rear, Not sure the gearing
Crossfire Camaro Hesitation/"Bumping"

i have an 83 camaro 305 tbi crossfire, it was running great untill it just started feeling sluggish and eventually when i put it in part it kinda ran like it has a cam! it shakes a whole lot especially when in drive and im holding the brakes, it accually did this to me a month ago but one day it was raining and i backed in my driveway and caused the passenger wheel to spin and it make the car kinda bounce quickly then the problem stopped. so what should i do, when i go to rev the car its like moorse code, meaning its not smooth is like "Bumps" it doesn't realy make a bumping noise but thats how it feels. Please help.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 83 Z28
Engine: 305cfi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: Crossfire Camaro Hesitation/"Bumping"

When was the last time you changed your fuel filter or checked your vac. lines?
Old 09-12-2009, 12:48 PM

I did a full tune up around 2 months ago. I did the fuel filt and when i got the car last year, i replaced SOME of the vac. lines. Accually last night i had the car running. and it was still doing the same thing and i heard a popping noise coming from the cat which was gutted because of it being completly clogged. So i wondered if theres a gutted cat then whats popping, so i started punching the cat with my fist a little andi it sounded like stuff inside or it may have been the A.I.R pipe hitting something. so i did it more and revved the car. it got a little better, so i drove the car and it seemed the same, then in my driveway i just drove forward and backed up and did it about 5 times revved it some more and the problem seemed to go away, and that was last night. I started the car this morning and everything seemed pretty good, but now the car idles 300 rpm higher than it did before even when i didn't have that popping sound, Now the only time the car idled this high is before i replaced the one vaccume line that was cut by the previous owner, i think to pass inspection, It was one line leading from the fuel canister up front of the car, i had alot of line so i replaced most of the others. What do you think the problem could be?? EGR Valve?? I know the timin is off too, im trying to work that out as well as this problem that pops up every so often, Guess i got a lemon huh?? haha, I appreciate the help tho.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro SC
Engine: SFI'd 350
Transmission: TKO 500
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt w/ 3.23's

This sounds like an ignition problem. It could be an issue with cross-firing, weak coil, module, bad wires, etc. The lack of fuel will generally make the engine just hesitate, surge, and miss, rather than run erratically.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:56 PM

yeah, well again as it did the last time the problem went away, I honestly think the problem is that the car does not get driven very often, and like i said with the problem with the car running rich its just killing it, I mean, i do take the car out occasionally and i keep up with the changing the fluids regularly and everytime i fill up the tank i use some prestone gas treatment or octane booster, and about a month ago i used seafoam just in the oil and in the intake manifold, i didn't add it to the gas because of the prestone fuel treatment i have it in.