TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

No injector pulse when cranking...pulse when started?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No injector pulse when cranking...pulse when started?

Hello, I'm new to the TBI world so this problem has really got me confused. My fuel injectors aint pulsing when I crank it but if I dump gas down the TBI it starts up and runs great, I turn the key off and then go to start it I have no pulse again.... it stays dry as a bone. I dump fuel in it and away I go as far as I want untill I have to shut it down again. The fuel pump primes when the key is turned on and it runs very strong once I get it going so I don't think fuel pressure would be an issue. I changed the fuel pump relay too with no improvement. I can crank this thing untill it's blue in the face but it don't want to go without priming it first.... weird how the split second it fires the injectors start working, both have good spray. I was thinkin that the dist pick up could be bad but I don't think it would run at all.... I have a single wire HEI vacuum advance dist in this thing with the original dist pick up (mounted on my firewall) spliced into the 2 signal wires from my HEI so it will fire my injection. I mulled over everything there but if there was a problem in that area the injectors wouldn't pulse at all.... right? Yea.... I'm sooo lost here
Old 08-22-2012, 09:09 PM

Re: No injector pulse when cranking...pulse when started?

So I just left to go get a pack of cigs. Went through the whole "put gas in TBI and then turn key" routine and down the road I went.... 10 seconds into the ride my check engine light went crazy... car kept runnin but the light was flashing really fast and did not quit... Just to make sure it wasn't a glitch of some kind I shut it down and went through the proceedure of starting it again... the light resumed it's blinking deal.... so now what?
Old 08-22-2012, 09:29 PM

Re: No injector pulse when cranking...pulse when started?

Ok the flashing was because I left the paper clip in the diagnostic port.... The really screwy part? It will start on it's own now.... I pull the paper clip from the port and it resumes the "I'm not starting" act.... put the paper clip back in give it an initial shot of gas and I can start it first time every time... Really?! I'm going to put a strip of black tape over that light for now but I can't make odds or ends of this... why on earth does jumping the diagnostic port work?