TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Cleaning out the fuel system

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Cleaning out the fuel system

Slowly getting my 89 RS (305 TBI) back to drivable. It has been sitting since around 2003 with an indeterminate amount of fuel in the tank, fuel gauge is showing less than 1/4 but I don't know if it is working or not. Anyway, I am thinking about replacing the whole mess. Fuel tank, sending unit, fuel pump, and fuel lines. What do you think about new injectors or can they be cleaned? What kind of fuel pump should I go with. I may build the engine slightly and want one that can flow more fuel than stock and put an adjustable regulator to bring it back down for now. Also probably going to have someone else do the work. I have a quad that he wants and we are going to work out a trade. How long would work like this take so I know how to bargain? He does have a full lift in his shop so there will be no need to crawl around on the floor.

Non fuel related but I am sure the experts will no what I am talking about. Looks like there are metal tubes coming out of each cylinder on the exhaust manifolds. What are those, can they be removed. I am in a non emissions state and my cat has been cut out a long time ago. Thinking about putting some better flowing headers on and don't know if those can safely come out.

One more question. There is a mess of tubes over the passenger side manifold are. Looks like some go through the firewall so I am guessing they are heater core lines, but don't know for sure and it would look much nicer if those were not there.