TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Considering a buy from across the pond!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 04:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering a buy from across the pond!

Morning all,

im from the UK and over here we have relatively slim pickings of cars - although I love reading about builds, crate motors and 6 speed swaps, popping to the junk yard etc - in reality in the UK this is ££££, sorry $$$$$

anyways...

so I'm looking for a third gen as a weekend toy

on offer there is a 1988 RS 5.0 TBI 5 speed stick T5 camaro (been resprayed but with IROC hood and wheels)

or either 1986 Trans am (low miles)

or IROC average condition, lowered and with corvette servos
-both 5.0 TPI auto

all for the same bucks

now I've googled and read so much from here I feel pretty confident but I haven't found the answer to one question.

in the UK we use 0-60 whereas you guys use 1/4 times.

what would you choose? the L03 T5 or LB9 700TR?

how do the cars compare. I know it's 170 HP vs 215 but with the different transmission.....?! Is auto comparable in speed but less in fun factor? Or is the auto slower?

there will only be mild mods - exhaust, filters and posssoble headers and intake.
thanks for any advice/ opinions

matt
Old 03-02-2017, 01:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 754 Likes on 580 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open
Re: Considering a buy from across the pond!

The 5 spd. car will have a 3.08:1 rear axle ratio. The others? You'd have to check their SPID (Service Parts ID) label to know what they were built with (assuming the stock gears are still in all 3). So that's another little advantage (potentially) for the 5 spd. in the 0-60 sprint.

On of the biggest restrictions on the TBI motor is it's exhaust. So a headers and exhaust system upgrade will help a lot there.

But it's very hard to overcome a 45 horse deficit. Somewhat depends on how set you are on having an auto or manual trans, too.

I've owned an L03/5 speed car. If it's the CAR that you prefer, in better shape, better deal, more to your liking, I would not walk away from it because of the L03.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 92 Trans Am Conv
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08

If you're only going to do basic mods, then pick the one with the more desirable transmission.
I refused to get an auto knowing it'd be years before I actually swapped transmissions. I didn't care what motor it was as long as it was a thirdgen manual trans.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: LG4
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08

You have said you would like a Thirdgen as a weekend toy, but you didn't say what you intend to do with it. The 0-60 times might be very close given the difference in horsepower between the auto and the manual trans. For me, it came down to what I liked when I sat behind the wheel. I enjoy the instrument layout of the Pontiac over the Chevrolet. Even in the UK, I'll bet these cars can be stomped by what the youngsters are driving. So, in the end, get what you really like as far as comfort, style, and appeal.