TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

91 tbi wont fire, fuel pump works

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 tbi wont fire, fuel pump works

my 91 rs auto started acting funny about a month ago, i started it and i ran like complete crap, you had to give it throttle to keep it running and it was running pure rich, you could really smell the raw gas smell. if you let of the gas it would die and you would have to hold the pedal to the floor and let it roll over for a while till it wanted to fire, now last night i wanted to start it and move it and it wouldnt start at all, just rolls over, i can hear the pump running when i turn the key on or when i let off the starter it will cycle for a few seconds till its back up to pressure but dont seem to be spraying fuel, if you give it a shot of ether it will want to try to start. where should i start with this issue?
Old 05-10-2017, 03:56 PM
Sponsor

Received 649 Likes on 573 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt
Re: 91 tbi wont fire, fuel pump works

Check your fuel pressure iirc 12-15 psi.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:24 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Spark plugs are likely fuel fouled, hence the no start.

Check two things, what the ECM is seeing from the CTS for engine temperature. And with the fuel pump running see if the injectors are leaking fuel (bad o-ring), or if the FPR is leaking fuel (bad diaphragm).

RBob.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1994 454 big block jet boat
Engine: mild build BBC 454
Transmission: na
Axle/Gears: na

I had an issue where my fuel injectors were "stuck" and wouldn't fire I tapped them both with a screwdriver handle and it un-seized them. Problem solved. if you aren't spraying any fuel then the injectors are very likely the issue.

If no spark, the Ignition Control Module under the distributopr cap is likely the culprit.

Of course you could just buy my custom TBI I have for sale if all else fails...

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/engi...-2-barrel.html
Old 06-29-2017, 10:03 AM
Supreme Member

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by tchapps88
it was running pure rich, you could really smell the raw gas smell.
An engine running somewhat rich produces a lot of carbon monoxide (CO) which is colorless and odorless.

An engine producing eye-watering "rich" fumes is probably misfiring, including LEAN MISFIRE. Anything that causes the cylinder of air/fuel to not burn produces a huge amount of hydrocarbon (HC) emissions.

An engine has to be gargling on gasoline for a running cylinder to produce as much HC emission as a misfiring cylinder.

Just because the electric motor driving the fuel pump runs, does not mean it is delivering fuel to the injectors. Test the fuel pressure.