TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

TBI vs swapping to a carb/Sniper EFI

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TBI vs swapping to a carb/Sniper EFI

I currently have a TBI 350 in my car that is not running smoothly, I am assuming its bad sensors, but am not yet at the point of looking into it. (wanting to finish interior before jumping into the drivetrain) Before I jump into trying to find what is wrong and tackling the awful wire harness job the previous owner did, (wires running everywhere, plenty of plugs left unplugged with no indication as to where they go). I want to know if it's really worth it to leave it factory TBI or if I should swap to a carb (possibly Holley Sniper EFI setup). Are there any pluses to the original TBI? All I see are how you have to have someone burn a chip for your specific application. All I really want out of the car is 300HP. Is it worth it for the headaches of getting a chip made and trying to make the motor work? Or should I instead go down the tedious road of swapping to a carb? So what do you guys think?
Old 08-28-2017, 08:08 PM

Car: '79 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 400
Transmission: Super T10 4spd
Axle/Gears: 8.5 10 bolt with 2.73 gears
Re: TBI vs swapping to a carb/Sniper EFI

I'm all for using the TBI you have and getting a good computer to tune to your engine. Megasquirt or Dynamic would probably be the way to go. Holley Sniper wouldn't do much for you.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by F-Body Int
I'm all for using the TBI you have and getting a good computer to tune to your engine. Megasquirt or Dynamic would probably be the way to go. Holley Sniper wouldn't do much for you.
I was impressed by how much the Holley would clean up my engine bay. But i'm somewhat planning on swapping over to a LS in the future and am thinking I'll probably just keep the TBI for now and set the money towards the LS. I'll definitely look into the Dynamic computer, I've heard talk of them before.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:11 PM

Car: '79 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 400
Transmission: Super T10 4spd
Axle/Gears: 8.5 10 bolt with 2.73 gears

You could also send your TBI to SPR Performance for a rebuild. I just got mine back from them today. I was very impressed with the turnaround. Bored out for bigger throttle blades, thinned throttle shaft, cleaned injectors, new sensors, etc.

by https://www.flickr.com/photos/156619454@N04/, on Flickr