TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Fuel Pump Died...again.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Pump Died...again.

I have a 89 rs camaro. V8. 305. Fuel injected. 150k miles. I bought a spectrum premium fuel sending unit and replaced it due to issues with my gas needle never reading correctly. The car ran great for 3 weeks then I was going down hill and and lost power to everything. The car completely died. Well it ended up being the fuel pump. We supplied power to it and it wouldn't kick on. So we bought a new one and I drove the car maybe 20 minutes down the road and same thing happened. Both times the car had to be towed home. The car cranks and cranks but won't start. From what we can tell without dropping the tank is it's the fuel pump again. Any suggestions on what it can be? What can cause a fuel pump to burn up twice? Did we Get two bad pumps? Bad sending unit?
Old 09-22-2017, 12:17 PM

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: Fuel Pump Died...again.

The only thing I can think of is the pumps Spectra pumps are just $hit. I have Spectra sending unit in my car but removed the pump it came with and got a Bosch. It's been 2 months so far so good.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by SammyMae
I was going down hill and and lost power to everything.
Define "everything". A bad fuel pump will not cut power to the headlights. Or to the radio. Or to the power seats, rear window defogger, the ignition, or the windshield wipers.

If you lost power to "everything", you have a bigger problem than a failed fuel pump.

Originally Posted by SammyMae
The car completely died. Well it ended up being the fuel pump. We supplied power to it and it wouldn't kick on. So we bought a new one and I drove the car maybe 20 minutes down the road and same thing happened. Both times the car had to be towed home. The car cranks and cranks but won't start. From what we can tell without dropping the tank is it's the fuel pump again. Any suggestions on what it can be? What can cause a fuel pump to burn up twice? Did we Get two bad pumps? Bad sending unit?
What is the voltage to the fuel pump at the harness connector nearest the gas tank? Is there a two-second pulse of power on the fuel pump + wire when the ignition is turned on?

Is there any spark to the spark plugs when the engine is cranked? No spark, no fuel pump can be a failure in the distributor.

You need to do a lot more diagnosis before you change any parts.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 124 Likes on 91 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC Convertible
Engine: 350 TPI L98
Transmission: WC T5

Spectra is like Duralast. Should not be your first or second choice.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1982 Recaro TA, 1989 TTA#948

What brand pump did you use?
Will the car start with a shot of ether? Did you check fuel pressure?
If both pumps died, maybe the wiring on the sending unit is shorting out, but I would think you would possibly pop a fuse if that was the case.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:35 AM
Supreme Member

In general I go for AC Delco first, then maybe BWD, then whatever I can find with good reviews.

I try to avoid: Monroe, Gabriel, Duralast, Parts store branded brake pads, Master Pro, etc.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:48 AM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1982 Recaro TA, 1989 TTA#948

AC Delco lacks the quality it used to have. I believe they are made overseas, possibly China. Then again, every replacement part is probably made in China. I used Bosch and Walbro and have had good luck with them.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:05 AM
Supreme Member

I don't disagree with you. So many things are made over there now. But the AC Delco stuff is visibily different indicating that it is made with different manufacturer and that may certainly mean better quality. China can produce high quality goods now.