TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Rate my TBI rebuild Video.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 04:41 AM

Received 101 Likes on 72 Posts
Rate my TBI rebuild Video.

The company I work for asked me to make some instructional videos in the future
SO i decided to make some 3rd gen specific videos to practice
Judge my video, tell me what I did wrong or right
was something unclear?
missing? or just poorly shown?

Old 10-03-2017, 06:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Re: Rate my TBI rebuild Video.

Mostly, but not entirely in-order as the video progresses.

1. Photo of a Holley TBI when voice-over is discussing GM throttle bodies.
2. They don't "definitely need to be rebuilt". The TBI unit on my '88 K1500 truck has unknown miles, came from a salvage yard, and runs like a dream. Likely a '92 model year TBI. There are some TBI units that have problems, and THOSE might need to be rebuilt.
3. Describe your experience: You say that 90% of all running issues in these engines can be solved by rebuilding the throttle body". What about defective O2 sensors? Worn spark plugs? Defective cap 'n' rotor? Plug wires? Low compression-burnt valves? Failed cam lobes? Low fuel pressure? Rotted vacuum hoses on PCV or MAP? EGR leakage? MY experience is that occasionally, a TBI unit benefits from a rebuild.
4. In a training video like this, it would be best if you'd use the full name of the various sensors--Intake Air Temperature Sensor instead of IAT, for example. The first two times I ran the video, I thought you were saying "IAC", and I knew that wasn't right.
5. I cringe when I see the open-end wrench breaking-free the nuts on the fuel plumbing. You get away with it, but I'd really prefer that flare-nut wrenches were shown in the video.
6. I love the "map" for the various screws. Nice!
7. What you call a "Fuel Pressure Regulator Gasket" is a diaphragm, not a gasket.
8. Plastic sealing washers are not "plastic O-rings".
9. If you're going to use copyrighted pictures, you should get permission from the copyright owner. Then you tell people that they're copyrighted, state the copyright owner's name, and that you're using them with permission. This one strikes a bit close to home. Technically, you've violated the copyright.
10. There's more than two kinds of base gaskets, if we also include the BBC TBI units.
11. I don't remember seeing any removal or installation instructions for the TPS. Did you clean the main body with the TPS in place? I have trouble believing that the TPS is safe for immersion in solvent.
12. I'd suggest checking the base idle BEFORE removing the tamper-resistant plug.
13. I don't remember seeing any check for worn throttle-shaft bushings.
14. Nice, steady camera work. Most videos seem to have a camera that's hand-held, shaking, out-of-focus, and not pointed at what the viewer needs to see. You're pretty good in those regards.
15. Torque specs would be nice for the various fasteners.
16. I'd like to see tool sizes listed. You say that there are Torx-head fasteners, but you don't say what size Torx tool, for example. OTOH, you'd want to be careful to say something like "other TBI units maybe be different".
17. How does the 9-volt battery cycle the injectors? You don't show the battery connection, or how you make-and-break the circuit to pulse the injector solenoids.
18. Kinda misleading to show a spray bottle of degreaser at the beginning of the video, then use an ultrasonic immersion cleaner at the end. I'd add a list of tools and consumables at the beginning--sockets, wrenches, ultrasonic cleaner, solvent, gasket scraper, rags, etc. Everything used in the process should get a blurb at the beginning of the video.
19. Reinstalling the air cleaner involves one vacuum hose, one electrical connector, plus the PCV filter hose and heated-air ducting.

Short story: Very good for an amateur Youtube video. Decent editing. You don't drone on and on and on. Needs considerable detail improvements to be considered "professional".

You've accomplished what you set out to do: PRACTICE for upcoming "professional" videos. I'm waiting to see Version 2 of this video, though.

Last edited by Schurkey; 10-03-2017 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:48 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 1987 Firebird Formula
Engine: CharlesOdoryOB
Transmission: 87587369775
Axle/Gears: CharlesOdory

Loved the idea of the screw map. I have to remember that one.

Louis
Old 10-04-2017, 02:56 PM

Received 101 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Schurkey
Mostly, but not entirely in-order as the video progresses.

1. Photo of a Holley TBI when voice-over is discussing GM throttle bodies.
2. They don't "definitely need to be rebuilt". The TBI unit on my '88 K1500 truck has unknown miles, came from a salvage yard, and runs like a dream. Likely a '92 model year TBI. There are some TBI units that have problems, and THOSE might need to be rebuilt.
3. Describe your experience: You say that 90% of all running issues in these engines can be solved by rebuilding the throttle body". What about defective O2 sensors? Worn spark plugs? Defective cap 'n' rotor? Plug wires? Low compression-burnt valves? Failed cam lobes? Low fuel pressure? Rotted vacuum hoses on PCV or MAP? EGR leakage? MY experience is that occasionally, a TBI unit benefits from a rebuild.
4. In a training video like this, it would be best if you'd use the full name of the various sensors--Intake Air Temperature Sensor instead of IAT, for example. The first two times I ran the video, I thought you were saying "IAC", and I knew that wasn't right.
5. I cringe when I see the open-end wrench breaking-free the nuts on the fuel plumbing. You get away with it, but I'd really prefer that flare-nut wrenches were shown in the video.
6. I love the "map" for the various screws. Nice!
7. What you call a "Fuel Pressure Regulator Gasket" is a diaphragm, not a gasket.
8. Plastic sealing washers are not "plastic O-rings".
9. If you're going to use copyrighted pictures, you should get permission from the copyright owner. Then you tell people that they're copyrighted, state the copyright owner's name, and that you're using them with permission. This one strikes a bit close to home. Technically, you've violated the copyright.
10. There's more than two kinds of base gaskets, if we also include the BBC TBI units.
11. I don't remember seeing any removal or installation instructions for the TPS. Did you clean the main body with the TPS in place? I have trouble believing that the TPS is safe for immersion in solvent.
12. I'd suggest checking the base idle BEFORE removing the tamper-resistant plug.
13. I don't remember seeing any check for worn throttle-shaft bushings.
14. Nice, steady camera work. Most videos seem to have a camera that's hand-held, shaking, out-of-focus, and not pointed at what the viewer needs to see. You're pretty good in those regards.
15. Torque specs would be nice for the various fasteners.
16. I'd like to see tool sizes listed. You say that there are Torx-head fasteners, but you don't say what size Torx tool, for example. OTOH, you'd want to be careful to say something like "other TBI units maybe be different".
17. How does the 9-volt battery cycle the injectors? You don't show the battery connection, or how you make-and-break the circuit to pulse the injector solenoids.
18. Kinda misleading to show a spray bottle of degreaser at the beginning of the video, then use an ultrasonic immersion cleaner at the end. I'd add a list of tools and consumables at the beginning--sockets, wrenches, ultrasonic cleaner, solvent, gasket scraper, rags, etc. Everything used in the process should get a blurb at the beginning of the video.
19. Reinstalling the air cleaner involves one vacuum hose, one electrical connector, plus the PCV filter hose and heated-air ducting.

Short story: Very good for an amateur Youtube video. Decent editing. You don't drone on and on and on. Needs considerable detail improvements to be considered "professional".

You've accomplished what you set out to do: PRACTICE for upcoming "professional" videos. I'm waiting to see Version 2 of this video, though.
Thanks for the input
I didn't go into extreme detail because new hires are often unskilled and have no idea what even basic tools are.
If you show them complicated details they get overwhelmed. YouTube is a different story though.

I've done a 454 TBI on a 1991 k1500, 350tbi on a 90 k1500, and now this turd gen. Each ran considerably better after the rebuild and gained a bit of MPGs. I would say it's definitely worth doing even if a car runs ok before.

I would agree I missed the cleaning part. I forgot to film be scrubbing the body with purple power.

Thanks for the input thought.
I appreciate hard criticisms
Most you tube videos are some dude talking for 30min without editing and people are just too used to this. As a result, people are too soft on my videos.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: stock

You also neglected to mention putting the gasket on the IAC before installing.
Pretty good though. Should definitely help out someone with little or no experience on the TBI unit. I figured this stuff out at the local Pick-A-Part lot,
sometimes a handy resource